United refuses to honor letter

Old May 30, 13, 10:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: US CP, AA Plat, DL Silver, EY Gold, Kimpton IC, SPG Plat
United refuses to honor letter

During one of the big snowstorms this year, my flight never arrived and I was stranded for a couple of days. I understand acts of god are excluded by UA's contract of carriage but I asked for some compensation for not making any announcements about the delays and general bad customer service.

To my surprise, the UA agent that called me was very helpful and said that I'd receive a $200 voucher and to submit receipts for any expenses. I stayed at an economical hotel and submitted only the hotel receipt. Two weeks later I receive the evoucher.

Next, I get a letter stating that they would pay half of the hotel with the attached check. Only there was no check in the envelope.

After weeks of emails, I finally received a response from the rep. She tells me the letter was a mistake and that I can only have the evoucher or the check. She say's the letter went out unapproved by her management who denied both on the grounds that there was availability to fly out. Well, I spoke to three reps that day and none could find it for me then!

I was thinking of moving to UA since US is leaving *A but I don't think so if this is how they operate.

Thanks for reading.
Old May 30, 13, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, National Exec, Hertz PC
E-mail the scanned letter to Martin Hand and PM UA Insider here.
Old May 30, 13, 10:55 am

Programs: CO Platinum/1K, SPG Platinum/Ambassador
I agree UA should make good on their commitments given the letter was sent, but you shouldn't be owed anything. Wx happens. As one manager put it, if we paid out every time there was weather, we'd go bankrupt really quickly.
Old May 30, 13, 11:06 am
Original Poster

I understood and was surprised at the rep's offer which made me think maybe it was IRROPs (though why they wouldn't use the weather excuse given the conditions, I don't know).

Frankly, I didn't expect anything but once the commitment was made, that changed.

Here is the ticket # for any UA lurkers:

FWIW, I told the rep to cut me the check and cancel the evoucher.

Last edited by tangel; May 30, 13 at 6:07 pm
Old May 30, 13, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, National Exec, Hertz PC
~$100 hotel credit v. $200 evoucher?

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; May 31, 13 at 5:49 am
Old May 30, 13, 11:39 am

Programs: 8 Year UA Gold/1P now nothing, Happy DL Gold
Originally Posted by dparkinson View Post
I agree UA should make good on their commitments given the letter was sent, but you shouldn't be owed anything. Wx happens. As one manager put it, if we paid out every time there was weather, we'd go bankrupt really quickly.
They've got some nerve talking like that... legacy airlines (including UA and CO) tend to go bankrupt very quickly regardless of wx.
Old May 30, 13, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by tangel View Post
During one of the big snowstorms this year, my flight never arrived ....
At all ???

Seriously though let it go - $200 voucher is above and beyond what should be expected. Other aiines would give you absolutely nothing. An agent made a mistake that did not impact you in any way - things happen.
Original Poster

Close: $152 check vs $200 evoucher
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Presuming that this was a WX cancellation, UA had no reason to offer to pay for a hotel or to offer a voucher, but the fact is that it did and then confirmed in writing (at least half). UA ought to honor the commitment even if someone hit the wrong key.

I would send in a short letter enclosing a copy of the UA letter and noting that no check was enclosed.

A supervisor reviewing this is likely to simply pay up. But, if the voucher is worth it because you've got other travelers, why not take that?
Old May 30, 13, 11:56 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Marriott Gold, Nexus, GE
Sounds like a lot of confusion, but that's great if they give you one or the other form of compensation. You're not entitled to anything.
Old May 30, 13, 3:50 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, AA PlatPro, HH Dia, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Gold, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Originally Posted by tangel View Post

Here is the ticket # for any UA lurkers:

<redacted>

That is not a ticket number. I'm not sure what that number is. Either way, I wouldn't post anything related to your ticket on a public internet site.

Also, you should remove the reps name, as this is against FT policy.
Old May 30, 13, 5:34 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by astroflyer View Post
Sounds like a lot of confusion, but that's great if they give you one or the other form of compensation. You're not entitled to anything.
before UA acted, this was true but once UA's representative, presented in writing a promise, morally (if not also legally -- IMNAL) UA became obligated.
Old May 30, 13, 7:03 pm
Original Poster

I agree about the confusion. I redacted her name but it was already quoted. I omitted her surname for privacy.

It isn't a PNR/ticket but I suspect an internal UA trouble ticket system.
Old May 31, 13, 12:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
before UA acted, this was true but once UA's representative, presented in writing a promise, morally (if not also legally -- IMNAL) UA became obligated.
A gratuitous promise is not legally binding unless it foreseeably causes detrimental reliance. Which in this case it did not. (IMAL)
Old May 31, 13, 12:37 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
A gratuitous promise is not legally binding unless it foreseeably causes detrimental reliance. Which in this case it did not. (IMAL)
Some states permit promises based on past consideration or the concept of a promise for a benefit received. You could potentially concoct an argument on that basis, with a bit of mental gymnastics.

IMBALBINYL (I may be a lawyer, but I'm not your lawyer.)

Search this Thread