Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Change award ticket - do you need to cancel and rebook?

Old May 27, 13, 3:35 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Gold LT

Hello, I was looking at booking an award ticket one way from

SFO-FRA(LH) business - BKK (TG) first award. There is availability now in March of 2014.

If I book this ticket now, and then a few days before departure if LH somehow opens up a F award seat, can I change my award?

I would presume next year in March when LH releases a F seat, there will be no TG award space left. If I change my ticket to snage the LH F, will I loose my TG F seat? Or will the TG F need to be available again?
Old May 27, 13, 3:55 pm

Why not route through Pacific?

Yes, you can change award to LH F without loosing TG seat.

Did you look at routing through NRT or ICN? Unless you are making a stopover in Europe, SFO-Europe-BKK does not make scene if pacific routing is available in C. Two 10-hour red-eyes connecting in Europe is tough - not worth any F seat or service IMHO.

Edited to add: I checked a couple of dates in March 2014 and saw plenty of C availability on combination of UA/OZ/NH/CA/TG via Pacific. Do yourself a favor, save 10K miles and fly business on NH or OZ. The flight will be shorter, the service and food on NH and OZ will be as good or better than LH F (with notable exception of drinks and caviar), the seat/privacy may not be as good, but you'll be on daytime flights, so no big deal.

Last edited by AntonS; May 27, 13 at 4:08 pm
Old May 27, 13, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AntonS View Post
Yes, you can change award to LH F without loosing TG seat.

Did you look at routing through NRT or ICN? Unless you are making a stopover in Europe, SFO-Europe-BKK does not make scene if pacific routing is available in C. Two 10-hour red-eyes connecting in Europe is tough - not worth any F seat or service IMHO.

Edited to add: I checked a couple of dates in March 2014 and saw plenty of C availability on combination of UA/OZ/NH/CA/TG via Pacific. Do yourself a favor, save 10K miles and fly business on NH or OZ. The flight will be shorter, the service and food on NH and OZ will be as good or better than LH F (with notable exception of drinks and caviar), the seat/privacy may not be as good, but you'll be on daytime flights, so no big deal.
I would urge the OP to take TG F and hope that LH F opens! Yes, the change can be made, though this route is tough--be prepared to add a connection in YVR/DEN/DFW/SEA to get LH F.

Compare ground services, LH vs. OZ/NH
Old May 27, 13, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX View Post
I would urge the OP to take TG F and hope that LH F opens! Yes, the change can be made, though this route is tough--be prepared to add a connection in YVR/DEN/DFW/SEA to get LH F.

Compare ground services, LH vs. OZ/NH
I know that true FTers may disagree, but extra 5 hours plus 2 overnight flights not worth some extra F ground service, champagne and caviar. Especially if another option is absolutely adequate C on NH and OZ on daytime flights. If OP has extra time, he can even spend a night in Tokyo (<24hr does not count as stopover), eat some Sushi and Ramen, have good night sleep, fly to BKK next day and arrive rested with almost zero jet-leg.

Besides, I assume OP can not use FCT or LH FCL in FRA, because he is connecting to TG. I would not care about arrival facilities BKK either, because I'd wasted and would head right to the hotel. YMMV.

Last edited by AntonS; May 27, 13 at 6:42 pm

Search this Thread