Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

So, I got refused admission to the IAD United Club...

So, I got refused admission to the IAD United Club...

Old Jun 1, 13, 8:31 am

I got into the IAD Club near C8 the other day. A few minutes after entering...I wish I had been denied! What a pit!!
Old Jun 1, 13, 8:38 am

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
Originally Posted by RNE View Post
The cyborgs were clearly in the wrong. However, you may have innocently triggered their friend or foe programming by 1) Answering her question about were you were going. It's none of the cyborg's business; and 2) Having a boarding pass in hand instead of a membership card and photo ID. A boarding pass screams: I'm a non-member trying to get in on status and international travel!

Not that there's anything wrong with that, but if you're a member, show your membership card, don't answer questions, and don't take no for an answer.
Who carries their membership card? I haven't ever carried mine in the many years I have been a member (unless I know I will need to use a US club and remember to grab it). I've never been denied entry because I don't have the card (even durring the few weeks post-3/3/12 when their computers couldn't look up membership info).

Membership cards, in general, just need to go away.
Old Jun 1, 13, 8:55 am

Programs: UA 1K 3 Million/ex-many year GS, AA PLT/2 Mil, AS MVPG, HH Dia, Starwood Life Plat, Hertz PC
The cyborgs were clearly in the wrong. However, you may have innocently triggered their friend or foe programming by 1) Answering her question about were you were going. It's none of the cyborg's business; and 2) Having a boarding pass in hand instead of a membership card and photo ID. A boarding pass screams: I'm a non-member trying to get in on status and international travel!

Not that there's anything wrong with that, but if you're a member, show your membership card, don't answer questions, and don't take no for an answer.
Huh? Using the BP is easier for both them and you. They don't need id. I never used my card until I started flying AS and want to use the DCA club. Now that I'm not flying UA too often I actually use the card. Irony?
Old Jun 1, 13, 9:29 am

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
A boarding pass screams: I'm a non-member trying to get in on status and international travel!
It does?

I'm a UC member and I can't remember the last time I used the card for access to a UC.

If the scanner is placed within reach, I just scan my own boarding pass, and if not, hand the boarding pass to the agent, they scan it, and I'm on my way. Works just fine at least at MSP, ORD, IAD, EWR and DEN.

Very occasionally I'll get an agent who wants to ask about my itinerary before scanning the boarding pass, and I just say, with a little pleasant authority, "I'm a member, just scan it.", and they do. (Make sure you've mastered your pleasant authority voice first lest you trigger us vs. them.)

To me it screams, "I have this piece of paper which will make your light go green."

(I do carry my card in my travel bag, but only for additional insurance with international *A partner lounge dragons.)
Old Jun 1, 13, 9:36 am

THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG WITH THAT!

I have spoken to many, many UC front desk people as to what they prefer to receive --- The answer from every one of them ---JUST YOUR BOARDING PASS!
Makes it much easier, they stated, as it requires less scanning with additional proof from an I.D.

As a side note, I don't care if they know where I'm going, and I don't care it they know where I've been --- All I care about is that they scan my BP and let me pass--- Shucks, sometimes they even thank me by name, and once in a while they even acknowledge my Lifetime Membership.
Old Jun 1, 13, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by kenn0223 View Post
Who carries their membership card? I haven't ever carried mine in the many years I have been a member (unless I know I will need to use a US club and remember to grab it). I've never been denied entry because I don't have the card (even durring the few weeks post-3/3/12 when their computers couldn't look up membership info).

Membership cards, in general, just need to go away.
I have never carried my membership card. Before the takeover, they would scan my BP, that that would serve as my credential for entry. After the takeover, they started pushing me to show my card, and I started having to fight for entry about half the time. After demanding that they scan my BP, and often requiring escalation to a supervisor, I'm finally given access when they scan the bar code on my BP. Why they can't do that anymore is on their own is beyond me. What does $mi$ek gain by picking a fight with every member seeking to use the club between flights?

But, this is all moot now. After the takeover, when they took away the ability to pay for membership with miles, my membership expired, because I'm not going to pay ~$400 in cash to sit in a filthy over-crowded space that can often be worse than the public area of the airport. I got the Chase card with a special free year offer, but now that's up, and I cancelled the card, because I don't want to pay the fee.

So, now, I've got nothing. No relationship. No membership. Another example of value destroyed.
Old Jun 1, 13, 10:01 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold and Silver Wings, AS MVPG75K, HH Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
We let our memberships expire at the end of 2012. I agree that for the past few years most employees preferred BPs to cards - so much easier than hauling out the card - with one exception for us: the HNL club.

When we tried to enter it early one morning in 2010 the employee made a big fuss in demanding my card, and told us the other clubs I cited weren't doing it right.

On a subsequent visit to HNL some months later I hauled out my card without asking and another employee thanked me for "doing it the right way." We all prefer praise for being well-behaved, don't we?

Just another example of magnificently consistent inconsistency I guess.
Old Jun 1, 13, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by Fredd View Post
We let our memberships expire at the end of 2012. I agree that for the past few years most employees preferred BPs to cards - so much easier than hauling out the card - with one exception for us: the HNL club.

When we tried to enter it early one morning in 2010 the employee made a big fuss in demanding my card, and told us the other clubs I cited weren't doing it right.

On a subsequent visit to HNL some months later I hauled out my card without asking and another employee thanked me for "doing it the right way." We all prefer praise for being well-behaved, don't we?

Just another example of magnificently consistent inconsistency I guess.
HNL had CO and UA clubs, didn't it? Which one survived? I wonder if CO policy was to force members to show the card even though they could be authenticated with the BP?
Old Jun 1, 13, 10:42 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold and Silver Wings, AS MVPG75K, HH Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by mitchmu View Post
HNL had CO and UA clubs, didn't it? Which one survived? I wonder if CO policy was to force members to show the card even though they could be authenticated with the BP?
Much as I am not a fan of the new regime, this was the old RCC and I believe our experience was a PMUA problem.
Old Jun 1, 13, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by Fredd View Post
Much as I am not a fan of the new regime, this was the old RCC and I believe our experience was a PMUA problem.
I've also been experiencing this at PMUA stations, but only after 3/3. Not once before.
Old Jun 1, 13, 10:56 am
RNE

Programs: UA Electrum, Crown&Anchor Diamond, CaptainsCircle Platinum
Originally Posted by kenn0223 View Post
Who carries their membership card?
The OP does.

Originally Posted by pdx1M View Post
They don't need id.
Apparently some do.

Originally Posted by pdx1M View Post
Using the BP is easier for both them and you.
Not easier for the OP.

RNE, advising rightful members to carry their cards, don't answer travel questions, and enjoy your stay in those funereal flophouses known as United Clubs. Ignore my sound advice at your own peril.
Old Jun 1, 13, 12:44 pm

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
In the last couple of years, I've not carried my card unless I needed to use a lounge but was not traveling with UA that day. BP works fine when traveling UA, esp at SFO where I use it the most.

I too have thought about cancelling membership in the United Club, as I travel internationally business class most of the time and would get access anyway. But then, right after the merger, I received a note saying that although I was a bit under 2,000,000 miles, they were granting me lifetime membership anyway - problem solved! (and thanks UA)

Generally, except maybe for IAD, I don't find the clubs too horrible - just too crowded sometimes!
Old Jun 1, 13, 12:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, HH Dia, Marriott Gld, Hertz PC
I do carry my card. Primarily for those times when I use the UC but am travling on different airline.
Old Jun 1, 13, 1:17 pm

Programs: UA LT GS 4.12MM (4.08MM BIS), AA EXP 1.86MM ,DL DM 1.1MM, HH LT Diamond, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by dorisrpas View Post
I do carry my card. Primarily for those times when I use the UC but am travling on different airline.
Yup!...especially when I am flying to SEA on AS out of LAX...the UC in T7 has no problem with using my membership card...the UC in T6 almost always puts up a "fuss" when I don't have a UA boarding pass and has involved them calling a supervisor to see if I am entitled to enter...I guess having a card with the words "Lifetime Member" confuses them
Old Jun 1, 13, 1:23 pm
RNE

Programs: UA Electrum, Crown&Anchor Diamond, CaptainsCircle Platinum
Originally Posted by StingWest View Post
I too have thought about cancelling membership in the United Club, as I travel internationally business class most of the time and would get access anyway.
Nothing wrong with that; I did it for years before getting the Presidential Plus credit card. However, non-members' circumstantial right to access the hive is the very reason hive cyborgs scrutinize would-be entrants so disagreeably. If one wants to use a boarding pass to access a hive, so be it, but for a member not to carry a 2/10-oz* piece of plastic which would easily prove right-of-entry is persnickety beyond reason.

RNE, spare me those too cool to carry.

*I weighed it.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: