Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

So, I got refused admission to the IAD United Club...

So, I got refused admission to the IAD United Club...

Old May 28, 13, 2:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by love_to_travel View Post
If you're Star Alliance Gold they will let you in the Senator lounge, otherwise you get sent downstairs to the Business lounge (which is where the showers are)
Don't you have to be on an international itinerary to have *A lounge privileges? OP was flying IAD-LAX.
Old May 28, 13, 2:42 am

All they had to do is scan the boarding pass. The card isn't necessary. UC membership is associated with your MP account. (You can see expiration dates for UC membership on the preview site.)

They should have scanned the boarding pass. Or insist that they scan it. Even with the card, they will still want to scan a boarding pass.

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Don't you have to be on an international itinerary to have *A lounge privileges? OP was flying IAD-LAX.
You are citing rules for entry to UCs, not entry to LH's lounges, which is what you replied to.

-David
Old May 28, 13, 3:08 am

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Originally Posted by mre5765 View Post
This is what I get for becoming moderate. Three years ago I called decapitation when a mere guest was refused and was roundly cheered. Today I call for merely a free year of membership when a member was denied and am called over entitled.

Enough.

Proper compensation for OP would be the gift of a scale model, game changing 787 with the cockpit wimdows encrusted with gems cut from the eyes of two C8 dragons.
Proper compensation would be an acknowledgement of the mistake, and an apology. UA personnel seem to resist doing either of these simple customer service steps these days.

SunLover
Old May 28, 13, 3:22 am

Location: Either below the Ockham stack or below the approach to SDKY
Programs: UA 1MM/*G. AA EXP for 1 more year. Then, who knows?
Originally Posted by SunLover View Post
Proper compensation would be an acknowledgement of the mistake, and an apology. UA personnel seem to resist doing either of these simple customer service steps these days.

SunLover
Don't be unreasonable, you know how hard that would be for the new United. They'd be much more likely to agree with decapitation or enucleation.

Although, in my book, appropriate compensation would be $50 off your membership fee. That's how much they value a visit for one-time visitors (although only a rabbit could eat that many carrots, and they'd be unlikely to have $50).
Old May 28, 13, 4:53 am
Original Poster

I've just realized that the reason they're called Clubs is that they're a Club for the employees who work there...

It's their Club, and they're going to guard the cheese and crackers and shortbread cookies from the unwashed masses who try to force their way in using trickery like membership cards or boarding passes!
Old May 28, 13, 5:04 am

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by LilAbner View Post
Many moons ago, I mis-connected at IAD and went to this same (C-7) club for assistance with my return to LAX. A red headed lady in there went off big time on me when I asked if I could be routed back home on ANY plane or sets of planes that had F/C available for the upgrade that I had reserved for the flight that I missed. The answer given was, this in NOT Albertson's where you get coupons for buying a lot of potato chips. If you want something for nothing go to Albertsons and shop. We're putting you on the plane that we want you to travel on and that one is full in F/C." "These mileage awards are giving people something for nothing and we don't like it one bit!"

My point --- These people are hand picked and after a while it is them vs you, the passenger. What the OP needed was names, and hopefully he got them, because if not, no-one is going to own up to this b.s.!

The #1 rule is names and a photo of the exterior of the lounge, and a copy of the UC card sent to customer service. Without proper evidence he is probably going to get his chain jerked around.

Good luck --- OP!!! ^ ^ ^
There is a night and day kind of difference between the attitudes of AA lounge staff and UA lounge staff.... and a lot of it has to do with the history of AA lounges being under the sales&marketing folk.

The UA lounge staff attitude is so very poor on average compared to AA lounge staff attitude.
Old May 28, 13, 6:58 am

Programs: Something lifetime here and there
Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
There is a night and day kind of difference between the attitudes of AA lounge staff and UA lounge staff.... and a lot of it has to do with the history of AA lounges being under the sales&marketing folk.
This is true. I remember when I bought the AA lifetime membership in Dec 2005 (right before they stopped selling them), I called the number to process it and I got routed to the AA lounge in STL and the lady at the front desk processed it!

She told me that they have a lot of their agents in select clubs that process the LT memberships as they all fall into the Sales group.
Old May 28, 13, 7:04 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by LIH Prem View Post
You are citing rules for entry to UCs, not entry to LH's lounges, which is what you replied to.
To expand on this, it's one of the things that make proper *A lounges other than UA and US lounges, like the LH lounge at IAD, so great -- you can access them as a mere Gold on a domestic itinerary, without a UC membership.
Old May 28, 13, 7:16 am

Programs: Something lifetime here and there
It sounds like nothing has changed at IAD over the years. Back when I was flying through there at least twice a week, I used to hang out in the 1K room (across the hall from the RCC at C17) and some of the people would come in there and voice their issues. They also had to show they were 1K before they would do anything about it, but that's another story.

Since I was on UA express a lot, after awhile, I used to hang out over on the A concourse when ACA (the express carrier at the time) had a lounge. Free beer and wine (for awhile), great service (Tammy was awesome with IRROPS, etc) and it was always quiet since nobody knew about it.

Up until 2011, (when I stopped going through IAD and subsequently stopped flying UA regularly) I noticed the dragons spend a lot of time on the phone talking to each of the lounges...RCC, IFL, and the 1K lounge while it existed about people, problems/issues. At least 50% of the time when I would enter, or while I sat there (1K room in particular). Peak times (late afternoon) were worse.

YMMV...
Old May 28, 13, 7:19 am

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
The Senators lounge at IAD is great, but unless you have over at least an hour or more before a flight, it's not worth the hassle of going over there. You need to take the train back to the main terminal and do Chutes and Ladders up to the people movers to go to D, or continue on the train to the Long March from the mythical land of "future C/D terminal" train station to the C concourse. If you're just going to the A gates, that's a fairly long walk from the LH lounge. Getting to C or D from the lounge is a minimum of 12 minutes or so, longer if you need to go to D.

I gave up my UC membership at the end of 2012, but prior to that, I never used more than a boarding pass to get into an RCC/UC. For international lounges like TAM or LH, I just used my MP card with Star Gold on it. In fact, for the LH lounge at Dulles, you need that card.

As for compensation in the OPs, case, an apology would be nice, and maybe some form of repirmand so that the agent doesn't try it again. That's the main reason to complain; to get UA to fix a problem. Seeing as sky kits are gone and you don't receive anything for broken seats and such on flights anymore, you won't get anything for being denied a few minutes of peace and relative quiet on the ground.
Old May 28, 13, 8:47 am

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Nope; you can get *A on any itin (just not UC or US Clubs). I've visited the LH club many a time on a purely domestic itin and used my *G to get in (vs. my UC membership--in fact, I had let my UC membership lapse until the past couple of years).

Originally Posted by CCIE_Flyer View Post
I certainly did. In fact, IAD is probably the *only* airport I've ever had any trouble with a club moat dragon (Oh wait - there was that one incident at ORD more than a decade past). Even as a GS I was routinely subjected to random rules and surly attitudes there. I still can't decide whether it's IAD or IAH that makes me feel more like I'm in the 3rd World.
I've fortunately never had a problem getting into a lounge, but probably because I've either had a membership or was visiting on an international itin as *G (or a *G lounge other than UA/US). Yeah, I know the OP had problems even with a membership--but I've fortunately never had such a problem.

I have, however, had many problems with UC CSRs simply making up rules when asking them to help out with an itin. The worst have been at ORD, 2nd worst at DEN, IME. IAD has actually usually been pretty good for me in terms of handling problems and requests.
Old May 28, 13, 8:57 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by exerda View Post
I have, however, had many problems with UC CSRs simply making up rules when asking them to help out with an itin. The worst have been at ORD, 2nd worst at DEN, IME. IAD has actually usually been pretty good for me in terms of handling problems and requests.
^^ Despite all the problems with IAD, the decrepit concourse, the overcrowded and tattered UCs, this is the main reason to keep a UC membership. IME, the personnel there have always been able to help iron out any problems I've presented them.
Old May 28, 13, 9:35 am

Sorry to hear but the bright side is you didn't really miss anything, IAD UCs are the worst on the east coast. Although the C8 lounge is probably the best UC @ IAD, but that's not really saying alot.
Old May 28, 13, 10:05 am

Programs: DL Plat, B6 Mosaic
Originally Posted by fangtl View Post
Although the C8 lounge is probably the best UC @ IAD, but that's not really saying alot.
Really? I think the one by the D gates is way better. I think C8 is the worst, especially late afternoon when it can become standing room only.
Old May 28, 13, 11:06 am

Programs: UA*G, AA PLT, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by fangtl View Post
Sorry to hear but the bright side is you didn't really miss anything, IAD UCs are the worst on the east coast. Although the C8 lounge is probably the best UC @ IAD, but that's not really saying alot.
I like all IAD UC except the one by C8, as C8 is the only one don't have can drinks fridge.

And lounge that has can drinks fridge is a plus, as most likely they have pineapple juice which don't have it on board.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: