FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Access to LH lounge in BOS? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1470064-access-lh-lounge-bos.html)

thomasj May 25, 2013 8:26 am

Access to LH lounge in BOS?

I'll be in Boston this week and will have a few extra hours before the BOS-LAX nonstop at 6pm. I noticed that there is a LH lounge in the E-terminal.

Has anyone used this lounge? Any issue getting through E-security with a UA boarding pass?

Thanks!

UAPremExecflyer May 25, 2013 9:43 am

Originally Posted by thomasj (Post 20809240)
I'll be in Boston this week and will have a few extra hours before the BOS-LAX nonstop at 6pm. I noticed that there is a LH lounge in the E-terminal.

Has anyone used this lounge? Any issue getting through E-security with a UA boarding pass?

Thanks!

As the LH lounge is in Terminal E - for international - you won't get through TSA with a domestic BP. You're stuck in UC, if you have membership?

kenn0223 May 25, 2013 9:47 am

Originally Posted by thomasj (Post 20809240)

Thanks!

I expect you'll have a hard time getting though E security with a boarding pass for a UA flight. E is very separate from C (with no air-side security connection) and I think the TSA will find it odd for someone to ask to get into E with a boarding pass for a C flight. Also, the LH lounge in E only has a marginally better decor and notch higher food than the UA lounge in C.

If I were you I would just grab something in the terminal (C has decent selection both before and after security) if you are hungry and stick with UA lounge. The C lounge is never overly crowded, I've always been able to get a chair or seat at the bar even durring peak periods.

kchen May 25, 2013 11:36 am

I know of someone who asked someone at BOS and they said you can enter any terminal with a boarding pass for any terminal. This has been used, for example, to get Pre-Check for UA in terminal A, and taking the A to C shuttle. (However, I have not personally tried this, just heard of other people both asking and successfully doing it.)

The fact that E has a lot of international shouldn't make a difference, and there are also domestic flights that leave from E.

Thorgils May 25, 2013 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by kchen (Post 20809946)
I know of someone who asked someone at BOS and they said you can enter any terminal with a boarding pass for any terminal . . . The fact that E has a lot of international shouldn't make a difference, and there are also domestic flights that leave from E.

That said, Kenn0223 is really correct that the LH lounge at BOS, while definitely superior to the two UCs in food and service (though not in space), really isn't worth the hassles of both schlepping over to Terminal E and risking a hostile TSA reception. It is interior space with no windows, has a basement feel, and can get crowded before the 16:40 FRA and 20:20 MUC departures. The standard UC in Terminal C, with standard UC fare, is much less claustrophobic, IMHO.

See also this discussion.

will2288 May 25, 2013 1:22 pm

Even if you could get in, I don't think it would worth the extra walking/security. Going from E-to-C isn't particularly convenient.

If you have nothing else to do in Boston, maybe hang out in the Hilton lobby. I spent a few hours there during a long delay. It's a typical large Hilton lobby, and there are also some mini-lobby areas on upper levels.

Often1 May 25, 2013 1:39 pm

Urban myth about checkpoints. TSA policy on this changed four years ago. With some extraordinarily limited circumstances, a valid BP to any gate at the station, gets you access to any checkpoint, whether or not that checkpoint has an airside connection to your departure gate.

This does not mean that: 1) that your carrier will allow you access to whatever passes for priority access; or 2) that an Officer won't point out that you are at the "wrong" checkpoint.

That said, for OP's stated reason, access to E is a worthless PITA given the other options.

JohnnyUMF May 25, 2013 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 20810460)
Urban myth about checkpoints. TSA policy on this changed four years ago. With some extraordinarily limited circumstances, a valid BP to any gate at the station, gets you access to any checkpoint, whether or not that checkpoint has an airside connection to your departure gate.

This does not mean that: 1) that your carrier will allow you access to whatever passes for priority access; or 2) that an Officer won't point out that you are at the "wrong" checkpoint.

That said, for OP's stated reason, access to E is a worthless PITA given the other options.

Would be helpful if you could provide an official link to this?

Originally Posted by kenn0223 (Post 20809542)
Also, the LH lounge in E only has a marginally better decor and notch higher food than the UA lounge in C.

With all due respect, what are you talking about? You say the LH Senator lounge in BOS has a "notch" higher food? Compared to any United Club (Not First lounge) in the United States the LH Business and Senator lounges in BOS have better food and beverage offerings. The quality and fit and finish are also much, much higher. The significant downside to all Terminal E lounges is lack of windows. With a few hours in between flights I simply do not think it is worth the trek.

burlax May 25, 2013 2:39 pm

Urban myth about checkpoints. TSA policy on this changed four years ago. . .

That may be the case, but what is the actual practice? Policy and actual practice are two vastly different things - e.g., on paper, we have all kinds of anti-discrimination policies, but in practice, we have unlawful discrimination everywhere and good luck proving that it occurred. Also, cops are not supposed to lie, but they do all the time, as long as they think they're doing the right thing by convicting the guy they think is guilty.

nigos May 25, 2013 3:02 pm

UC lounges

I often travel from Logan and I agree with others that the LH club is not worth the time and effort to visit. If you want to spend time in a club, the UC in Terminal A is more interesting than the club in Term C but neither have great food options. You can get a shuttle bus from A to C but if you have several hours to spend, I would opt to visit the Hilton where you can pay to use its exercise facilities and/or you can get a more interesting meal in one of their two restaurants. Alternatively it is easy to use public transit to visit Boston where there is lots to explore. The LH club in terminal E would be at the bottom of my list.

JohnnyUMF May 25, 2013 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by nigos (Post 20810697)
I often travel from Logan and I agree with others that the LH club is not worth the time and effort to visit. If you want to spend time in a club, the UC in Terminal A is more interesting than the club in Term C but neither have great food options. You can get a shuttle bus from A to C but if you have several hours to spend, I would opt to visit the Hilton where you can pay to use its exercise facilities and/or you can get a more interesting meal in one of their two restaurants. Alternatively it is easy to use public transit to visit Boston where there is lots to explore. The LH club in terminal E would be at the bottom of my list.

I second walking to the Hilton, though I am not sure if you can access the Health Club anymore, last time I went in there was no longer a staff/attendant area. Has this changed in the past year?

For a drink (or just a nice sitting area) and some wonderful views and short walks take the hotel shuttle to the Hyatt Harborside which is also at the airport.

mherdeg May 25, 2013 5:35 pm

Have you actually tried this at BOS & do you have any experience there? I tried this and failed at LAX two years ago, haven't tried anywhere else since.

(I remember when you could reach the international terminal with a leisurely 10-minute walk from the defunct AirTran Terminal D! Lots of signs along the way saying things like "you're almost there, keep it up!")

kenn0223 May 25, 2013 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by JohnnyUMF (Post 20810629)
With all due respect, what are you talking about? You say the LH Senator lounge in BOS has a "notch" higher food? Compared to any United Club (Not First lounge) in the United States the LH Business and Senator lounges in BOS have better food and beverage offerings. The quality and fit and finish are also much, much higher. The significant downside to all Terminal E lounges is lack of windows. With a few hours in between flights I simply do not think it is worth the trek.

Eh, there is much more variety and it's still well within the "snack" category (all though closer to meal replacement snack vs. the munchies that the UCs have). It's still institutional / hotel conference quality at best. If I wanted a meal I wouldn't go out of my way to go the LH lounge. I would go to one of the restaurants in the C terminal (perhaps the new Legal Sea Food) which would easily beat the food at the LH lounge.

The furnishings are an upgrade from the UA club, but again, it's nothing worth going out of your way for (and has no windows). It's certainly not going to end up in a magazine listing of "Top Airline Lounges". If they were both in the same terminal (and didn't require a potential hassel with the TSA) I would go to the LH lounge, but they are not.

I stick with my assertion that if I was in the OPs shoes and had a few hours at Logan I would dine at a restaurant in Terminal C if I was hungry and then just spend my extra time in the UA club. If one is down for the distance and potential altercation with TSA go for it, but I wouldn't do all that just to see the BOS LH lounge.

Originally Posted by nigos (Post 20810697)
If you want to spend time in a club, the UC in Terminal A is more interesting than the club in Term C but neither have great food options.

If you are drinker, remember that the UA club in A has a limited liquor licence and dosen't have much more than a few beers selections and the house wine.

Kmxu May 25, 2013 6:41 pm

Spend time in downtown Boston, instead!

I did kill a few hours in downtown area early this month. You can ride Silver Line inbound for free to South Station. The return trip to Logan is only $2.50 from any Subway station. From South Station, you can walk to many interesting places or have a good meal in Chinatown. Just another suggestion if you like to take it.

CHOPCHOP767 May 25, 2013 11:26 pm

Boston is home for me in the States so I'll echo the previous sentiment that the LH lounge there is nothing special. The lounge is located in a basement, with no windows, limited seating and average food. It's only marginally nicer than some of the restaurants in the airport. Also, about a year ago, I was denied entrance to the LH because I was flying in Y. I was Star Gold at the time and had a paid UA UC membership. UA did compensate with miles, but just keep in mind, the lounge attendant, who is still there, is rather rude and generally un-helpful.
For a better environment, either the Hilton or Hyatt Harborside are much much nicer. Also, if you have some time and don't want to head all the way downtown, there's a really bar at the Morton's at the Seaport.