Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Booked WheelChair does not show up. Dad collaspes waiting for immigration

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2013, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by erik123
I suggest also complaining to the INS - as a 90 minute wait - though usual and getting longer - with no system that makes allowance for the elderly/mothers with infant, is not acceptable in my book.
Unfortunately, AFAIK, there is only one line designated for those with disabilities, and it does not seem to include the elderly, families, etc. Again, because OP's father was not accompanied, was elderly, and probably did not fully understand what was going on, he did not go into the line designated for those with disabilities.
Old May 24, 2013, 5:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP

It's called customer service
When the dad asked for the wheelchair he saw the attendant should have asked if he ordered one and then had another agent assist NOT just say its for someone else and move on
Mistakes do happen but uA at least owes an apology and it sounds like delta had the right approach
C'mon people, it's also good business
A simple apology and a couple of miles will not only help the OP feel better but may encourage them to spend more dollars with UA
Old May 24, 2013, 6:51 pm

OP, sorry this happened to your father.

In a perfect world the wheelchair would have been there. Unfortunately, as many things are outsourced with airlines, errors happen.

That being said, if your father didn't speak up, how was the airline/ agent suppose to know to call for a wheelchair? If one wasn't there and e just walks off, that's his own fault. Always speak up if something isn't right.
Old May 24, 2013, 7:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: US CP ; LH FTL ; *G
(1) Instruct your father to simply remain in seat until someone with WC shows up ;

(2) If he doesn't speak the language, give him a card / sheet with English instructions he can hand to the FA.

This incident is unfortunate. But, either way, one who needs a WC shouldn't be walking off. Walking off = voluntarily refusing assistance. You should make this very clear to him. Hope your father is well.

EDIT: Also, if your father is frail, you should be booking him in first class on an airline with good FC ground service such as LH. If he is taken to immiration in a WC, he'll be taken to the front of the line.

Last edited by burlax; May 24, 2013 at 7:31 pm
Old May 24, 2013, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by Ari
That he was flying business class really isn't relevant to this discussion.
That appeared to be an answer to someone's accusation that people tend to book wheelchairs to skip the line. Someone flying business class already gets to the front of most lines, so requesting a wheelchair if not legitimately needed serves no purpose. That's how I read that statement, anyway.
Old May 24, 2013, 7:34 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by jackal
That appeared to be an answer to someone's accusation that people tend to book wheelchairs to skip the line. Someone flying business class already gets to the front of most lines, so requesting a wheelchair if not legitimately needed serves no purpose. That's how I read that statement, anyway.
But it doesn't get you to the front of immigration. The WCHR will get him in the disabled lane, business class gets him in the same lane as first or coach.
Old May 24, 2013, 7:37 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by fastair
But it doesn't get you to the front of immigration. The WCHR will get him in the disabled lane, business class gets him in the same lane as first or coach.
Isn't getting into the disabled lane getting to the front of immigration in practice? :P
Old May 24, 2013, 8:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Why not just write a letter to UA describing the situation in yours and your father's minds and what you believed UA's responsibility is and see what they say to respond. The OP's father may not be an experienced flyer, he may not know the procedures for wheelchairs. I'm sure they can vary sometimes. If no one explained it to him or the OP, UA should get some of the responsibility. I don't think you can ever place fault 100% on one side.
Old May 24, 2013, 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by ysolde
Unfortunately, AFAIK, there is only one line designated for those with disabilities, and it does not seem to include the elderly, families, etc. Again, because OP's father was not accompanied, was elderly, and probably did not fully understand what was going on, he did not go into the line designated for those with disabilities.
I have complained and so should the OP on behalf of his dad. I don't believe in just accepting it.

BTW - My mom (who flies often) is elderly, can't stand for an hour, and insists she has to bypass the line - she is never refused (I pity the person that tries, to be frank).
Old May 24, 2013, 8:57 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by erik123
I have complained and so should the OP on behalf of his dad. I don't believe in just accepting it.

BTW - My mom (who flies often) is elderly, can't stand for an hour, and insists she has to bypass the line - she is never refused (I pity the person that tries, to be frank).
You guys are unbelievable. Accepting what? You can't leave your seat, walk away, and then complain that WC wasn't given to you.

It's very easy to get a wheelchair - just stay in your seat, eventually, FA will approach and ask if everything is ok. Just say 'wheelchair.' No need to speak the language. Just have to be able to pronounce one word. If mute, give a note to FA with 'wheelchair' written on it.
Old May 24, 2013, 9:11 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by burlax
Isn't getting into the disabled lane getting to the front of immigration in practice? :P
I've seen over 100 people in that lane, being manned by a single agent, with a customer in the back screaming that he needs to be at the front. It did not go well for him, immigration agents don't like scenes in their line. I am willing to bet that he would have been processed much quicker had he just gotten into the visitor lane and not started screaming.
Old May 24, 2013, 9:23 pm
Suspended

100 people in the handicapped lane? Was that in China or did ADA convention happen to be in town? In the brief moments I walked by the general service lanes to get to my GE kiosk, I've never seen more than maybe ten people in the handicapped lane.
Old May 24, 2013, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by burlax
100 people in the handicapped lane? Was that in China or did ADA convention happen to be in town? In the brief moments I walked by the general service lanes to get to my GE kiosk, I've never seen more than maybe ten people in the handicapped lane.
Agree. I arrived at JFK the first day it was open after Sandy. Thousands of people at Immigration, but fewer than a dozen at the handicapped lane.
Old May 25, 2013, 12:21 am

Programs: UA Million Mile Gold, Club, AA, Delta, Marriott, Hertz G, A/Club
indded!

this weak old man is supposed to know all the tricks posters on here know. i really doubt the stampeding crew would notice if somebody stayed on board. they probably walked over him to get out of the airport before the passengers have cleared customs. united dropped the ball with serious consequences. we are becoming so callous as a people!
Old May 25, 2013, 4:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iquitos
this weak old man is supposed to know all the tricks posters on here know.

How is it a "trick" for a person who has requested a wheelchair because he has difficulty walking or standing, to simply not walk or stand and wait for a wheelchair?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.