Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What's the longest you've sat waiting for ramp crew?

Old May 22, 13, 11:08 pm
QBK
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K + UC + 0.94MM, Marriott/Hiltongold, National EE

Just landed in CMH (flight 334 from ORD). We rolled up to the gate about 2:45 late (MX delay in ORD), and started sitting.

After 10 minutes, the captain came on the PAand explained that we we couldn't do anything until we got a ramp crew, and that the ramp crew was ignoring us. He also said, "In 28 years, I have never -- ever -- seen anything like this."

And now, after 23 minutes, we just pulled up to the gate.

So... how long have you been ignored by a ramp crew?
Old May 22, 13, 11:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
30+ minutes at IAH
Old May 22, 13, 11:44 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Over 20 minutes waiting for a tug to bring us in. Over 25 minutes sitting at the hard stop and waiting for a gate agent to roll the jetway over. Also, on UA Express (Mesa), we sat for 25 minutes waiting for someone to bring stairs over while sitting at A3 at IAD.
Old May 22, 13, 11:45 pm

Programs: EK Platinum,UA 1K
QBK,
i hope there is more to this story than meets the post, i know what you had to deal with but after talking to the ground crew when this happened to me last month in cos i was told that they had multiple flights on the ground at the same time and even the person working in the "nerve center"had to come out and help out, after hearing that it made me realize that when it does happen it sucks but it doesnt happen alot, and it does happen across all airlines, the smaller the station i find it happens more often. i would hope this has not happened alot with you and if it did i would be posting in another direction other than here and expect a reply...take care

Originally Posted by catocony View Post
Over 20 minutes waiting for a tug to bring us in. Over 25 minutes sitting at the hard stop and waiting for a gate agent to roll the jetway over. Also, on UA Express (Mesa), we sat for 25 minutes waiting for someone to bring stairs over while sitting at A3 at IAD.

cat,
a tug to bring you in???as in towed into the gate or someone to guide in the aircraft to the gate? arriving on the A gates is nothing short of life on hell for a short time when that happens...you have a better chance of winning the powerball than getting a good experience flying in/out of the A in iad

Last edited by iluv2fly; May 22, 13 at 11:58 pm Reason: merge
Old May 23, 13, 12:21 am

Programs: -=- UA: GS + 3.5 Million Miler; Hilton: Diamond; Marriott: Gold; Hertz: President's Circle
More than 30 minutes on late inbound flight (2 hours late) to SDF.
Old May 23, 13, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by QBK View Post
Just landed in CMH (flight 334 from ORD). We rolled up to the gate about 2:45 late (MX delay in ORD), and started sitting.

After 10 minutes, the captain came on the PAand explained that we we couldn't do anything until we got a ramp crew, and that the ramp crew was ignoring us. He also said, "In 28 years, I have never -- ever -- seen anything like this."

About 20 minutes in SFO from DEN. The captain told us that this was a new thing at UA. I.e., another change you will like. That flight, like yours, was a three digit number, ergo an sUA crew in both cases who are not used to the CO way.
Old May 23, 13, 12:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
30 minutes BOG on Avianca. Thought we might be stuck on the plane until manana.
Old May 23, 13, 2:23 am

Programs: UA GS, DL-FO, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Platinum Premier Lifetime

We waited 2.5 hours for the ramp crew at ORD about 10 years ago. The FA put an extra movie on the drop down monitors and played the sound over the PA system to try to keep us from rioting. We didn't make the news as far as I know, so I guess it worked.
Old May 23, 13, 10:17 am

Programs: UA: 1K MM, Marriott Ambassador, Platinum IHG. Diamond: Hilton. Silver: Delta & Hyatt
45 minutes due to summer storm after arrival at ORD for ground crew safety.
Old May 23, 13, 10:33 am
Moderator Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Honors Diamond

14 minute COS-DEN flight. 30 minutes for a gate. Of course, it was Republic...
Old May 23, 13, 10:46 am

Shortly after the takeover, staffing levels were apparently reduced at SFO. I was told this by the gate agent who finally met us, after we'd sat on the tarmac waiting for a gate crew for about 45 minutes. This poor woman was ready to have a breakdown because she'd been running from gate to gate trying to manage more arrivals than she could possibly accommodate in a timely fashion.

Last edited by FlyWorld; May 23, 13 at 10:52 am
Old May 23, 13, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Flying whoever is most convenient
45 mins for lightning at MCO

20+ mins at innumerable hubs (UA and nonUA) due to operational inefficiencies.
Old May 23, 13, 12:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Our flight arrived 30 minutes early. We pull up to the gate and the pilot tells us that the ramp crew is currently on a break and return momentarily. We wait for 30 minutes and I swear, they arrived at the exact time that we were scheduled to arrive at the gate, not a minute before or later. Oh well, so much for being early.
Old May 23, 13, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HH, MR elite. Fly mostly AA/WN/B6.
Have certainly waited 30+ minutes for a ramp crew on late (circa midnight) arrival at EWR. Not just the guy with the glowsticks but finding a jetway jockey.

Have also waited 15 minutes for a new / incompetent jetway driver to get the thing moving and lined up with the a/c door. Very frustrating to watch your connection evaporate while the damn jetway is inching back and forth, side to side, over and over.
Old May 23, 13, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat., NEXUS, Amex, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
35+ minutes at DEN after arriving from MCI on a delayed Q400.

Search this Thread