Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What's the longest you've sat waiting for ramp crew?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's the longest you've sat waiting for ramp crew?

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2013, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
One hour on pmCO from SFO to EWR on a redeye. We had a powerful tailwind and arrived very early. Unfortunately some ground crew called in sick and others were running late that morning,
Old May 23, 2013, 8:03 pm

Several times 15-30 min at EWR. A few times 45-1 hour (once they restarted bev service in F). Seems to be worse when you are arriving really late or early into EWR.
Old May 23, 2013, 8:13 pm

Programs: UA 1MM
Originally Posted by GregMM
united.com flight status, right on the main page.

Status: Arrived Gate 32 Minutes Late (Delayed - Air traffic control)
I don't think that's quite right... if we're talking about the time between wheels down to gate arrival, the delay as measured against the scheduled arrival time won't necessarily reflect this.

In any case, I found it on flightstats:
5/23 UA6010
runaway actual arrival 8:01 AM
gate actual arrival 8:47 AM

So it was 46 minutes this morning. Longer than I realized!
Old May 23, 2013, 11:05 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by tfly212
Not technically the gate crew's fault but I waited for over two hours in O'hare until about 1 am one night about 3 feet from the jet bridge. The thunderstorms were so strong they were afraid to let the crew come out to the bridge to operate it until it subsided.
It's not a "too afraid" issue, rather it is a defined safety policy. When the lightenting detectors detect a ground strike within x number of miles of the field (Not sure exact figure, I think it's within 10 +/-5) the hub carriers at ORD pull the ground crew, which includes jetbridge driving and "marshals" (the guys that park the plane.) They are then kept off the field for a predetermined time period from the last lightening strike (I believe it is 20 min.)
Old May 23, 2013, 11:31 pm

Programs: Fomerly UA 1K, now Gold... next year, who knows?
~ 30-45 mins.

I was an LAX-JFK PS redeye, and in flight the pilot made an announcement that we had a forceful tailwind of 200 or 250 knots... I don't recall exactly and at the time I really had no idea what it really meant, but we ended up wheels down about 6AM for an ETA of 7 AM.

We pulled up to the gate and waited. The pilot then announced that we were waiting for a jet bridge operator. And we sat until sometime between 6:30-6:45 AM before deplaning.
Old May 24, 2013, 12:12 am

Programs: United 1K, Delta PM, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold, National Exec. Elite
I have never waiting for anyone in CMH, ever. Its my home airport so I fly to CMH often. IAD, IAH have always been the worst for me. If I land at IAD and they tell me we are early, we will wait a really long time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.