Unprofitable International Routes?

Old May 17, 13, 7:50 pm
Original Poster

Unprofitable International Routes?

I was just curious to see which international routes have the lowest rpm's.
Looking at their route map, I'm impressed how they can service routes especially those with assumingly low demand as well as those with long flight times. I'm thinking of their Micronesia flights, HKG flights, and even EWR-HKG.
Old May 17, 13, 7:56 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by discoseal View Post
you can be curious but you will never see a publish list of individual route finances -- unless you become a UA employee.
Old May 17, 13, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, National Exec, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
you can be curious but you will never see a publish list of individual route finances -- unless you become a UA employee.
And even then, you'd have to have even deeper insight as to O/D traffic or connectors. Simple route finances can't tell that tale.

Though I personally want to see EWR-SFO numbers from now to end of year (to see how much VX hurt them with those $199 fares).
Old May 17, 13, 9:38 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, Omni Black, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Looking at their route map, I'm impressed how they can service routes especially those with assumingly low demand as well as those with long flight times. I'm thinking of their Micronesia flights, HKG flights, and even EWR-HKG.
Micronesia and HKG are some of the most profitable flights in the network.
Old May 17, 13, 9:44 pm

Programs: Star Alliance
I'm thinking of their Micronesia flights, HKG flights.
Have you been on *-HKG flights?

Good luck to find any open seat in Y, I am not talking about anything else. What's one of the reason I try to avoid connection at HKG...
Old May 17, 13, 11:53 pm

Programs: *A Junkie, SQ PPS, Skywards Gold, 2 Million Mile Flyer;*wood LT Plat, BA MM
I've heard the same about Micronesia - just because it seems so small a destination and far away doesn't mean there's not movement a lot of VFR, tourists, commerce, cargo, etc. I don't think CO would have had a seperate division (Continental Micronesia, IATA: CS) if it wasn't profitable.

Some of these flights are the only means to the outside world besides travel by water. As stated in wiki, "[Continental Micronesia] was probably the single most important factor in the future development of what were once remote and isolated islands in the Pacific."

Interesting read about service to those islands. Also, correct me if I am wrong, but those Guam flights are packed with Japanese tourists and honeymooners - it's their version of our Bahamas or Cancun.

As another mentioned it's the routes where there's 5 airlines flying to/from the same cities that I find myself curious about - even if a flight is packed doesn't necessarily mean it's profitable. Like AKL-SYD...

Last edited by UrbaneGent; May 18, 13 at 12:09 am
Old May 18, 13, 12:37 am

Programs: TK *Gold; WN A-list; NEXUS; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
Originally Posted by aacharya View Post
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
And even then, you'd have to have even deeper insight as to O/D traffic or connectors. Simple route finances can't tell that tale.

Though I personally want to see EWR-SFO numbers from now to end of year (to see how much VX hurt them with those $199 fares).
Those cheap 199 fares aren't a cost; they're an investment for UA. They want to crush VX like a bug on this route...or, even better, entirely: we might bleed but they'll bleed more and the financial vultures are already circling them. Then they can cut the capacity and triple the fares.
Old May 18, 13, 1:24 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, CX GR, Hilton Diamond, Global Entry
The flights from NRT-GUM are typically packed. As one FA told me, "Guam is Japan's Hawaii."
Old May 18, 13, 1:26 am
uwr

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, UA 1K
UA has near-monopoly on some of the Micronesia routes.
EWR-HKG connects two of the world's business/financial capitals and also funnels passengers to/from one of the airline's major hubs.
Old May 18, 13, 1:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by USFdonWill View Post
As one FA told me, "Guam is Japan's Hawaii."
Actually, I think Hawaii is Japan's Hawaii.
Old May 18, 13, 1:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by uwr View Post
EWR-HKG connects two of the world's business/financial capitals and also funnels passengers to/from one of the airline's major hubs.
Also UA is a bit player on the route, less than 20% of daily seats... 1x 777-200ER (267 seats/day) vs CX's 4x 777-300ER (1200 seats/day).
Old May 18, 13, 2:35 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Actually, I think Hawaii is Japan's Hawaii.
took the words right out if my mouth. Guam is Japan's Carribean
Old May 18, 13, 2:45 am

Programs: UA 2MM, DL 500k, WoH 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
While we're at it, I've always wondered about Lagos (LOS). UA to Lagos?!
Old May 18, 13, 2:59 am

Programs: UA GS
Lagos

Lagos is mainly business travelers. They make a lot of money on that route, but crew really dislike flying there. Not much to do and lots of safety issues.
Old May 18, 13, 3:15 am
Suspended

Programs: US CP ; LH FTL ; *G
?????

I'd expect EWR-HKG to be quite profitable.

Search this Thread