Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Why are UA clubs at EWR (Major hub) so very poor compared to AA clubs?

Why are UA clubs at EWR (Major hub) so very poor compared to AA clubs?

Old May 25, 2013, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
If UA has a flagship lounge it would be HKG, as both F and C side totally beat out any US carriers and on par with other int'l carriers.
Not really on par with the CX lounges there
Old May 25, 2013, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Not really on par with the CX lounges there
Well CX is base in HKG, hard to compare, it still beat out CX's G16 lounge (former KA lounge), and it is on par with SQ lounge and TG lounge. The UA lounge in HKG also win over the next door EK lounge.
Old May 25, 2013, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by burlax
UA doesn't have lounges in EWR. CO does have 3 Presidents Clubs though.
I prefer any of the CO EWR PCs over the downstairs C17 RCC at IAD. I think the baggage cart tracks can be seen thru the carpet. UA just put up some walls and put down a cheap carpet in a ramp operations area to create that gem.

They do need to quit giving out the credit card passes. And they do need to upgrade the main int'l gateway lounges - HNL, LAX, IAD, EWR, ORD, IAH. SFO isn't too bad lounge-wise, but the food ought to be upgraded at all these.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; May 25, 2013 at 6:49 pm
Old May 25, 2013, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
I prefer any of the CO EWR PCs over the downstairs C17 RCC at IAD. I think the baggage cart tracks can be seen thru the carpet. UA just put up some walls and put down a cheap carpet in a ramp operations area to create that gem.
The good part about RCC at IAD is except the one by C7, rest of them have soda/juice cans from the fridges, where none of CO PC have any.

Lounges can be as nice as you want, but amenities wins. Just like any NH domestic lounges in Japan most have or about to get all new decors, but other than rice crackers and some drinks, nothing else available.
Old May 25, 2013, 8:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: US CP ; LH FTL ; *G
. . . They do need to quit giving out the credit card passes. . .
I think we can all agree on this here. I would rather have a 20% membership price hike than come to be lounge only to be subjected to people who clearly don't belong.
Old May 26, 2013, 9:57 am
Suspended
Original Poster

I prefer any of the CO EWR PCs over the downstairs C17 RCC at IAD.
Why do people keep referencing CO President Clubs. CO does not exist anymore...confusing.
Old May 26, 2013, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JohnnyUMF
Why do people keep referencing CO President Clubs. CO does not exist anymore...confusing.
I was replying to earlier poster who was referring to "PC".
Old May 26, 2013, 12:20 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier Executive
It is confusing!! The Continental name is gone, but the policies are still around which is why United has suffered in terms of service in the past few years. The EWR clubs are overcrowded and the staff is generally rude. I do the like cans at IAD is is much easier than jostling up to an overcrowded bar at the EWR United club just for a soda.
Old May 26, 2013, 12:33 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Partially a protest / statement of dissatisfaction with the results / changes of the merger.
Partially a way to stir things up
Old May 26, 2013, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Pi7473000
It is confusing!! The Continental name is gone, but the policies are still around which is why United has suffered in terms of service in the past few years. The EWR clubs are overcrowded and the staff is generally rude. I do the like cans at IAD is is much easier than jostling up to an overcrowded bar at the EWR United club just for a soda.
Yes, UA''s IAD C-17 lounge is an example of how much better and less crowded a UA lounge is. All CO lounges bad, all UA lounges good. All UA staff good, all CO staff bad. All CO planes bad, all UA planes good.
Old May 26, 2013, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
For those of you who believe that all U.S.-carrier airport lounges are mediocre, I encourage you to fly DL from JFK to sample the new Sky Deck in T4...it's a pretty spectacular facility.

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/pointm...sky-deck-club/
Old May 26, 2013, 6:56 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1
For those of you who believe that all U.S.-carrier airport lounges are mediocre, I encourage you to fly DL from JFK to sample the new Sky Deck in T4...it's a pretty spectacular facility.

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/pointm...sky-deck-club/
Amazing, really despite having most F and B for charge, the design and features are just stellar. I mean the contrast could not be starker to the UA Clubs at EWR, ripped chairs vs and outdoor patio that could be at a W hotel and all at an airport within an hour of each other..oh wait, with airlines that are competing for business and have overlap of many of the same international high profile routes.

JFK rates for USA lounges, have you been able to visit the Lufthansa setup at JFK extremely impressive even the AA Flagship (International First Class/Top Tier Elite) lounge is quite good. My personal favorite at JFK though is a toss up between the BA Concorde Room and the VS Clubhouse. Comparatively, here is UA with its best in class Global First Lounge at JFK.

Last edited by JohnnyUMF; May 26, 2013 at 7:14 pm
Old May 26, 2013, 7:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1
Indeed, it is. Delta also had the advantage of constructing the building and lounge at the same time so they could make it work the way they wanted to. There haven't been many such construction projects in recent years. The only thing that I think would have been surprising is if the DL JFK T4 lounge hadn't been spectacular. Also, the SkyDeck is pretty cold and wet when the weather doesn't cooperate. I love the views and the option it presents, but it isn't going to be particularly useful as a year-round facility.

UA will have a similar opportunity with greenfield construction in SFO with the new pier there. We'll see how they do with the lounge.
Old May 26, 2013, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by sbm12
Indeed, it is. Delta also had the advantage of constructing the building and lounge at the same time so they could make it work the way they wanted to. There haven't been many such construction projects in recent years. The only thing that I think would have been surprising is if the DL JFK T4 lounge hadn't been spectacular. Also, the SkyDeck is pretty cold and wet when the weather doesn't cooperate. I love the views and the option it presents, but it isn't going to be particularly useful as a year-round facility.

UA will have a similar opportunity with greenfield construction in SFO with the new pier there. We'll see how they do with the lounge.
Granted there haven't been too many new terminals built at major airports in the U.S. recently, but if you look back at the new terminals built around the nation in the past two decades or so, it shows the evolution of the airline lounge from essentially frumpy private waiting area to a much more elaborate, high-tech playground.

After all, when CO built the PC at gate 120, it was considered pretty state of the art, as were the Admirals Clubs at JFK T8...
Old May 27, 2013, 11:38 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbm12
Also, the SkyDeck is pretty cold and wet when the weather doesn't cooperate. I love the views and the option it presents, but it isn't going to be particularly useful as a year-round facility.
I mean, not to be overly sarcastic, but, like aren't a lot of outdoor patio type seating areas somewhat seasonal? Is this the best critique we can come up with. I think, new terminal or not, we can raise the bar on the expectation of UA being able to fill a waiting room with chairs that aren't dirty and torn.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.