Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Why are UA clubs at EWR (Major hub) so very poor compared to AA clubs?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2013, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by tarheelnj
I think I've seen them sporatically (EWR-BRU), but I can't find any now.
Maybe once the ground program is up to snuff (GS/Int'l F check-in & security, elevated lounge, etc.) they'll bring 3 class back, but right now EWR isn't up to snuff.

Also, all the 3 cabin action in and out of NYC is mostly focused on JFK.
Old May 19, 2013, 8:18 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA former 1K (1.9MM and gone), Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by CO DCA
..Whether it's the time warp experienced in the sUA 767 economy class, some tattered lounges system-wide, there's only so much money...
You must be referring to those well-padded seats that don't allow as many rows to be packed in or the multi-channel free audio (channel 9, anyone?) that has no provision for charging extra. Definitely higher priorities for UA to fix.
...Ever been to the LH lounge in Milan? Yuk. Huddled with people standing in the aisles trying to balance their breakfast in the Star Alliance lounge in LHR? Again, it's all a matter of perspective, priorities and money.
Agreed. Much prefer the BA Galleries First lounges that I use now as an EXP.

To tell you the truth, though, I did not move to AA for the superior AC and Oneworld lounges. Despite the increased crowding and scaled-back food selection post-merger, the United Clubs still seemed worth using and I wrongly assumed that others were no better. (LH Senator lounges were crowded, too, but I did have a thing for beer and sausages first thing in the morning. ) I moved to AA simply to regain some of the other pmUA benefits that were being eliminated, and then was pleasantly surprised to discover their superior lounge network, especially as an EXP.

Perhaps AA thinks that keeping their lounges attractive (along with many of their terminals I've visited, compared to UA these days), will help to retain and attract more profitable customers whose revenue will cover the costs. UA seems to prefer customers who want to feel special, but really have little basis for comparison. Maybe the UA model will prove successful, but it's not the one I would willingly choose.
Old May 19, 2013, 10:39 am
Used to be 'TheManWhoFlewTooMuch'

Programs: United 1K 2MM, Delta Diamond emeritus, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by halls120
Because the variety comes at a price, having to mingle with the unwashed masses outside the club.
The last time I was at EWR (with a 4-hour layover), I decided to leave the club, because it was cleaner and much less crowded outside.

There are quite a few restaurant choices there, and I'd rather sit at an empty gate than deal with the crowds inside the club.
Old May 19, 2013, 1:16 pm

Programs: UA Plat, HH Diamond, MR Gold, Hertz Prez Circle
If the lounge dragons want to start thinning out the clubs at EWR by making hourly sweeps and booting every obnoxious b*sterd on a cell phone, that would be fine with me.
Old May 19, 2013, 1:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: US CP ; LH FTL ; *G
Originally Posted by Time traveller
. . . However if you compare UA's GFL to AA's Flagship Lounge, they are quite competitive. Especially at ORD, UA's GFL has showers whereas AA's FL doesn't. UA has real "champagne", whereas AA only has "sparkling" wine. You have to even ask an attendant for bottled water at AA's ORD FL. UA's GFL is less crowded because entrance is based on traveling on an international F ticket on a 3-class plane, and not just top level elite status on OW.
Indeed, UA GFL services the traveling public a lot better - there are even reports that UA IFL/GFL staff would proactively monitor visitor's upgrades and downgrade anyone they deem unworthy. </sarcasm>

Last edited by burlax; May 19, 2013 at 1:29 pm
Old May 21, 2013, 5:17 am

Programs: AA EXP(4mm), DL Gold, UA Gold (1mm), HH Diamond, Bonvoy Amb(l/t Titanium). Former EA/PA elite
Originally Posted by freeupgrade
I have been a member of AA Admirals Club for years.

I visited the IAH Club in Terminal E for the first time last week.

I thought that the woman who admitted me was very nice. I was on a paid F ticket to South America, and she never questioned my eligibility. However, I was surprised not to be offered a drink coupon.

However, the Club seemed overcrowded, and I did not like the coffee-shop area near the bar at all. Was extremely crowded and noisy.
Hint. Head up to the 3rd floor. Always quieter than the main 2nd floor part of the club. Only limitation is there is no bar on the 3rd level so you have to go to the 2nd level to get a drink. There is coffee and snacks on the 3rd level however.

If I'm leaving on a flight from E, I always go directly to the 3rd level at the UC.

I agree that the EWR clubs are not wonderful. However, for me, the IAD UC's still win the prize for the worst clubs in the system. I always feel like I'm in a homeless shelter when there. Fixing IAD is the priority in my book. YMMV.

Last edited by iluv2fly; May 21, 2013 at 7:12 am Reason: merge
Old May 21, 2013, 5:33 am

Programs: United Premier Gold, AirBerlin Gold, Starwood Gold, Avis Preferred, CBP Global Entry

Yes, but IAD has the LH lounge (when it's practical). If .bomb wants to keep pushing my routes through EWR on international itineraries they should try for on-time connections and a decent lounge.

Last edited by glasnost7; May 21, 2013 at 3:49 pm
Old May 21, 2013, 5:37 am

Location: Various tier levels of frequent flyer/hotel plans received for bellyaching about minor flaws in the service I received.
Originally Posted by Seat 1F
I agree that the EWR clubs are not wonderful. However, for me, the IAD UC's still win the prize for the worst clubs in the system. I always feel like I'm in a homeless shelter when there. Fixing IAD is the priority in my book. YMMV.
I think fixing IAD needs to be a priority. Of course that would require MWAA to work and Virginia to have an actual transportation policy. No way UA is going to invest in IAD without either of those in place.

In the meantime, I guess we have to be happy with the new furniture they put in the IAD clubs.
Old May 21, 2013, 5:41 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
...In the meantime, I guess we have to be happy with the new furniture they put in the IAD clubs.
At least we know where any EWR Club replacement furniture will be coming from.
Old May 21, 2013, 5:45 am

Programs: AA EXP(4mm), DL Gold, UA Gold (1mm), HH Diamond, Bonvoy Amb(l/t Titanium). Former EA/PA elite
In the meantime, I guess we have to be happy with the new furniture they put in the IAD clubs.
I had no idea there was new furniture. Have they fixed the internet? Every time I have been there in the last 2 years, it has been slow as molasses.
Old May 21, 2013, 6:47 am

Programs: UA-1K; DL-1MM; SPG-P75; Marriot-P
EWR and UA are my home airport/airline for a couple of years now. Before I flew DL (NW) out of SEA for 14 years. After the merger DL did a great job upgrading their lounges and actually had some which where not bad in the first place. Most of the time I was looking forward spending time in the lounge (e.g.new SEA, NRT, BOS). Now at EWR, most of the time I do not bother, except when flying SK/LH. Very crowded, but still what a difference.
Old May 21, 2013, 8:57 am

Programs: UA nada, Hyatt Disc, Hilton Gold
Hint. Head up to the 3rd floor. Always quieter than the main 2nd floor part of the club. Only limitation is there is no bar on the 3rd level so you have to go to the 2nd level to get a drink. There is coffee and snacks on the 3rd level however.

If I'm leaving on a flight from E, I always go directly to the 3rd level at the UC.
Good advice; the top floor of the UC at IAH Terminal E is the best spot in the whole domestic UA lounge network, IMHO. I've whiled away many a productive hour working up there (and the internet is good).

The EWR clubs are somewhat sadder, but the one at C-1 is -- for my money -- better than the one by C-3. Smaller, yes, but typically calmer (except during the evening rush to Europe). Typically the only time I venture into the C-3 club is when I want a shower.
Old May 21, 2013, 9:42 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
All the airports are starting to meld in my head; I can't recall which domestic airport has the UC in the basement, but that's the one that wins the 'most like a cafeteria' award for me.

The only positive is that the fountain drinks are self-serve there (ala SFO).

My favorite, believe it or not, is LGA. Never crowded, fantastic staff, self-serve drinks (in bottles & cans) and even a camera so I can monitor the line at security (since it is a landside lounge.)
Old May 21, 2013, 10:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by SeaRaptor
Good advice; the top floor of the UC at IAH Terminal E is the best spot in the whole domestic UA lounge network, IMHO.
Plus there are showers. A really excellent lounge, should be the model for future rehabs.
Old May 21, 2013, 10:39 am

Location: Various tier levels of frequent flyer/hotel plans received for bellyaching about minor flaws in the service I received.
I had no idea there was new furniture. Have they fixed the internet? Every time I have been there in the last 2 years, it has been slow as molasses.
Works as well as any public free internet I've used; so, no

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.