Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Why are UA clubs at EWR (Major hub) so very poor compared to AA clubs?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why are UA clubs at EWR (Major hub) so very poor compared to AA clubs?

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2013, 10:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
I was previously an AA EXP with paid club membership and have been a 1K for a number of years with paid UC club membership. In general, I would agree, the AA clubs were nicer. The UC are run down, crowded, noisy, etc.

Personally, I think it is due to the abundance of day passes given out to credit card holders, etc. I'd rather see it go paid membership only with comp passes to F and C ticket holders, maybe $25 day passes for *A Gold, but no CC passes.
Old May 18, 2013, 6:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by omegadeal
I was previously an AA EXP with paid club membership and have been a 1K for a number of years with paid UC club membership. In general, I would agree, the AA clubs were nicer. The UC are run down, crowded, noisy, etc.
I couldn't believe how nice the main AC was in ORD - just massive, new-ish, nice, lots of "zones". I guess the UA equivalent at a main hub would be IAH E. But then you have awesome ACs at JFK, LGA, SFO, DFW, etc. - and outside of the new T2 for UA at ORD, few others feel new & nice.
Old May 18, 2013, 3:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I would add T7 at LAX as a pretty nice UC (although I imagine it gets pretty crowded at prime hours). Otherwise, it's a pretty drab line-up and something UA really ought to do something about if they're serious about improving the customer experience.
Old May 18, 2013, 3:38 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by Shareholder
Given US airlines don't admit F customers on domestic flights, and there are no F international or 3-cabin F flights from EWR, who'd use it? How many people really pay for domestic F if it's not part of an international ticket, other than on the PS service when it was offered?...
How about only paid BF or higher (3 class) customers then? Could be a separate area of an existing club, but I think it could more distinguishing to have a completely separate club, maybe located just post security at Terminal 3 to serve all three concourses? You know how a separate facility you can't get into sparks people's imaginations and wallets... if it were truly distinctive.
Old May 18, 2013, 4:06 pm

Location: DFW, 3.5 MM, AA EXP, LIFETIME PLATINUM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME PLATINUM, STARWOOD AMBASSADOR 223 NIGHTS, AND LIFETIME GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE ELITE
I have been a member of AA Admirals Club for years.

I visited the IAH Club in Terminal E for the first time last week.

I thought that the woman who admitted me was very nice. I was on a paid F ticket to South America, and she never questioned my eligibility. However, I was surprised not to be offered a drink coupon.

However, the Club seemed overcrowded, and I did not like the coffee-shop area near the bar at all. Was extremely crowded and noisy.
Old May 18, 2013, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by TA
I think it would be an interesting differentiator if UA were to open an F lounge in EWR, open to paid F class customers only. With a level of service to match.
I don't think it's in United's DNA to execute that level of service.

Originally Posted by Kacee
...it's a pretty drab line-up and something UA really ought to do something about if they're serious about improving the customer experience.
Pretty big "if," there. I suggest we're already experiencing the level of service UA is serious about providing.
Old May 18, 2013, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by freeupgrade
I thought that the woman who admitted me was very nice. I was on a paid F ticket to South America, and she never questioned my eligibility. However, I was surprised not to be offered a drink coupon.
They did away with the PMUA drink chits a couple years ago, in favor of the PMCO free wells policy.
Old May 18, 2013, 5:53 pm

Programs: One Pass
There has been talk of an International Business Class lounge at EWR for a few years. One plan I heard about was a new large UC build across from gate 120 then rebuild of the big UC by Starbucks to a IBC Lounge. Supposedly this was going to happen pre merger. The big focus now is the 7 or so new builds that are going on now. I think the LHR club build and the new baggage system being built in EWR delayed the UC project. I hear plans for an IBC are also in the works for IAH .
Old May 18, 2013, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Many years ago (I think it was 1999), I saw a mouse running in the lounge at EWR. So, that sets the expectation Maybe they should get a Hello Kitty Jet
Old May 19, 2013, 12:55 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
Club lounges have never been UA's strong suit. However if you compare UA's GFL to AA's Flagship Lounge, they are quite competitive. Especially at ORD, UA's GFL has showers whereas AA's FL doesn't. UA has real "champagne", whereas AA only has "sparkling" wine. You have to even ask an attendant for bottled water at AA's ORD FL. UA's GFL is less crowded because entrance is based on traveling on an international F ticket on a 3-class plane, and not just top level elite status on OW.
Old May 19, 2013, 1:29 am

Originally Posted by Time traveller
Club lounges have never been UA's strong suit. However if you compare UA's GFL to AA's Flagship Lounge, they are quite competitive. Especially at ORD, UA's GFL has showers whereas AA's FL doesn't. UA has real "champagne", whereas AA only has "sparkling" wine. You have to even ask an attendant for bottled water at AA's ORD FL. UA's GFL is less crowded because entrance is based on traveling on an international F ticket on a 3-class plane, and not just top level elite status on OW.
Showers are at AA ORD AC in much greater quantity, non-point. Sparkling wine vs champagne - technically correct, but quality is comparable. Bottled water is freely self-serve in AA's ORD FL. As far as crowdedness, I never had troubles with space in either...
Old May 19, 2013, 1:58 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA former 1K (1.9MM and gone), Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat
I'd agree that the food in the IFL at ORD is a grade up vs. the Flagship Lounge, but don't see much difference otherwise, and have never found the FL to be particularly crowded. The big advantage for me is that I get to enjoy the Flagship Lounge on every international trip, rather than once every ten years. If I had the money to regularly fly international F, I think I'd find either lounge pretty pitiful.
Old May 19, 2013, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
UA's GFL is less crowded because entrance is based on traveling on an international F ticket on a 3-class plane, and not just top level elite status on OW.
This is no longer 100% true
Old May 19, 2013, 7:39 am

Location: Various tier levels of frequent flyer/hotel plans received for bellyaching about minor flaws in the service I received.
As with all this stuff, I think it's a matter of perspective, priorities and money. Honestly, I think UA is trying to fix the right stuff now. Whether it's the time warp experienced in the sUA 767 economy class, some tattered lounges system-wide, there's only so much money.

While I lament the progress of the lounge rehabilitation (particularly for someone who has shifted his international flying from EWR to IAD). I'm glad they're doing it, and doing it in a way that doesn't jeopardize the financial stability of the airline - as prior management of both CO and UA did in the past.

Quite honestly, I find this lounge comparison talk somewhat hilarious. Ever been to the LH lounge in Milan? Yuk. Huddled with people standing in the aisles trying to balance their breakfast in the Star Alliance lounge in LHR? Again, it's all a matter of perspective, priorities and money.
Old May 19, 2013, 7:41 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
So what's a current 3 cabin route from EWR? Don't think there are any.
I think I've seen them sporatically (EWR-BRU), but I can't find any now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.