Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Suspicious Flight Cancelation due to weather

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Suspicious Flight Cancelation due to weather

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2014, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Sulley
What happens now that AA has had their own meltdown at ORD? Or B6 cancelling their entire JFK ops?

Is Smisek running them too?
Per Flightstats, UA cancelled mainline at 3x the rate of AA the past few days, so there appears to be an order of magnitude or two difference.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 11:46 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by star_world
Do you believe that UA's approach to handling large-scale disruptions like this results in more passengers being stranded? Please explain.
I think if you ask the passengers with cancelled flights, they would all say they would rather go late. And I think getting there late is always better than a cancellation.

Originally Posted by Baze
Yet Southwest, that ONLY flies 737's, had one of the lowest on time performance in the last set of data reported in a recent USA today article.
Baze, you have been around here long enough to know better than to compare SWA's operation of for that matter HA's to UAL/DAL/AA or even US, they are very different operations. SWA flies point to point, and most of the points don't have spare crews, etc, and it does this with 30 min turns. SWA runs ok, but when the weather is bad, but they get chronically late with 30 min turns. Its just in their DNA. That said, while they have delays, their cancellation rate is usually less than UAL's.

AA has had issues (older fleet and labor issues, which I don't blame on management) and they are working to fix those problem, but the poor OT performance of UAL is the result of INTENTIONALLY SETTING LOW GOALS. Jeff's view is that more than 80% OT would just add expenses.

Originally Posted by emcampbe
Sorry, where is this speculation that folks can't get a refund? From the UA exception policy page:

So how is it that people aren't getting refunds if they want, exactly?
Its not "speculation" reports on FT of multiple people getting charged to change planes when a weather waiver is in effect and UAL's facebook page is filled with posts from bitter folks who are being charged to change their flights or denied refunds by UAL.

Check it out, great "PR" going on for UAL... https://www.facebook.com/United

UAL's "savvy" management does not seem to get that we now are in an era that when you mess over folks, they complain in public forums and trash UAL's reputation...
Old Jan 6, 2014, 11:47 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
This doesn't change the (second) question I asked in my last post.

Last edited by gengar; Jan 6, 2014 at 12:57 pm
Old Jan 6, 2014, 12:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
Originally Posted by Sulley
What happens now that AA has had their own meltdown at ORD? Or B6 cancelling their entire JFK ops?
JetBlue is shutting down BOS too.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Just for clarification, OP wanted to say "systemically". Systematically is a very different meaning and is almost opposite (step by step) of the OP's meaning.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 12:11 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by spin88
That your employer chose to aggressively cross-fleet and run AC types out of hubs with no spares is not an excuse, rather it is a cause of part of the problem.

Early in its merger with NW, DAL decided to stop that type of cross fleeting until they had a unified pilot group, and their cancellation and OT rates improved. Jeff continued dispute having high cancellation rates and a low OT rate.

Cross fleeting is theoretically profitable (it better matches AC range/seat numbers to demand) but when not done well, as UAL has not done it well, it impacts operations. UAL went for the theoretical profit at the expense of running a better opperation.
not really. what would you then call if it was a UA 757 and a UA 320? Thats not crossfleeting, that is one subsidiary. Has nothing to do with what the company chooses to do. Any airline can suffer this fate if they have more than one aircraft type.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 12:15 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Per Flightstats, UA cancelled mainline at 3x the rate of AA the past few days, so there appears to be an order of magnitude or two difference.
FYI, that's not what the term "order of magnitude" means: it generally means that one value is 10x greater than a comparable value, not merely double. Two orders of magnitude would be 100x greater, not triple. In other words, it refers to a logarithmic scale, not an arithmetic one.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dicti...of%20magnitude
Old Jan 6, 2014, 12:23 pm

Programs: UA PremExec
[QUOTE=Eric Westby;22096619]FYI, that's not what the term "order of magnitude" means: it generally means that one value is 10x greater than a comparable value, not merely double. Two orders of magnitude would be 100x greater, not triple. In other words, it refers to a logarithmic scale, not an arithmetic one.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dicti...of%20magnitude[/QUOTE

Thanks for the lesson.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 12:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by CALMSP
not really. what would you then call if it was a UA 757 and a UA 320? Thats not crossfleeting, that is one subsidiary. Has nothing to do with what the company chooses to do. Any airline can suffer this fate if they have more than one aircraft type.
True, but it doesn't help matters during IROPS when you're still running "United" airlines as two separate subsidiaries.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 12:40 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
I'm not accusing, nor defending, but as has been pointed out, there can be differeing methods to dealing with a massive wx event. One could point out that NK had a plane go off the taxiway at ORD the other day. I 1st found out about it when I was working with one of Spirit's customers yesterday while I was relocated to the CS counter, who was on that aircraft. http://www.ksdk.com/story/weather/20...-hare/4325287/

So you have the issue of fuel lines frozen, ramp congestion with snow removal vehicles everywhere, availability of flight crews, temperatures in the negatives with windchills (not many barriers on the ramp to block the wind), the effectiveness of deicing fluid in arctic temperatures...

Cncling a handfull of flights may get people out to the airport only to have their connecting flights cncld. Staying at home vs getting stranded 1/2 way can be a better option for many.

Yes, there are many different ways to dealing with situations. Some have obvious results, some not so obvious. Throw in the new pilot fatigue and maximum scheduling rules, throw in the tarmac delay policy parts of the passenger bill of rights that is going to hit both UA at ORD for last month and WN at MDW for this week, and the decisions become far more complex. Noone knows "the correct" action until after the storm has blown over and the results are in. Did Spirit do the right thing by flying in the ex and getting an aircraft off the tarmac? Did UA last month when they didnt cncl do the right thing when getting planes left out on the tarmac with no place to park them for hours? DId WN do the right thing this week when they didn't cncl and had over a dozen planes at tiny midway stuck on the tarmac for hours with no place to park? It's really easy to 2nd guess when one doesn't have to deal with the potential impacts when one makes the ez choice and says "fly the schedule" when things go worng. One can only 2nd guess the effects if a disaster occurs, and that would not be so easy to predict. On the other hand, one can easily 2nd guess the effect of cncling the schedule as the negative impacts are immedialty seen. In the end, noone can know what the "right thing" to do was unless one can emliminate 100% of the variables and work in a direct cause and effect world. It's too bad aviation isn't such a simple world where every variable can be eliminated and everything follows a predictable course.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by johnmont
I think the larger question that needs to be asked after this weekend:

Is UA's current procedures for aircraft and crew distribution on their route system flawed?

I think a comparison between AA and UA at ORD is a legitimate one, and it certainly seems as though AA flew more flights over the weekend than UA did. So why is it that there was a disparity?
UA has been operating more mainline metal at ORD than AA most days in the last week; yesterday was the only notably exception, and UA is in the lead today:

Code:
    date    | american | united | difference 
------------+----------+--------+------------
 2013-12-29 |      154 |    154 |          0
 2013-12-30 |      151 |    159 |          8
 2013-12-31 |      138 |    130 |         -8
 2014-01-01 |      128 |    141 |         13
 2014-01-02 |      137 |    148 |         11
 2014-01-03 |      148 |    150 |          2
 2014-01-04 |      137 |    134 |         -3
 2014-01-05 |      121 |     50 |        -71
 2014-01-06 |       28 |     41 |         13
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
That's a half an order of magnitude, not one or two orders of magnitude. UA is ahead of AA by 40% for getting mainline flights out of ORD today.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 12:55 pm

Programs: UA 1k, MR Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
FWIW, on my UA flight from ORD yesterday, our delay was listed as weather related, but seems to have been changed to maintenance. Not sure if that is accurate either way. We appeared to be on time, de-iced, and ready to go... until they realized that they had let on 4 more people than seats.

There were ~85 people flying standby, and I guess they accidentally let people on, perhaps thinking that other ticketed people missed their connections. Those ticketed folks came on and found people in their seats. There was a good amount of confusion. Ultimately, several people had to collect their belongings and de-plane. By the time they had sorted this out, we needed to be de-iced again.

All this after learning my flight was cancelled 9pm on Saturday with no auto-rebook, getting disconnected from the premier line multiple times because of "technical issues," and finally getting through after being on hold for 40 minutes. Not a great day for United.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 1:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2006-2013
Originally Posted by mduell
UA has been operating more mainline metal at ORD than AA most days in the last week; yesterday was the only notably exception, and UA is in the lead today.
Thanks for these...do you get that from Matrix ITA?

So are you saying the spread between UA and AA due to the weather was even worse? In other words, UA generally operates more mainline metal than AA at ORD and due to the storm they operated far less....
Old Jan 6, 2014, 1:23 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
GA's are in the dark about the whereabouts of cockpit cres leading them to board planes and then de-boarding because the flight crews aren't showing up.
Hmmm. This one seems to be dissonately cognating in my head.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 1:49 pm

Programs: UA MP/UC - "RIP Tulip Plat"
Thank You. Best post on flyertalk in a looong time.

Originally Posted by emcampbe
Captain is a no show is actually pretty vague. Might (or, fair enough, also might not be) due to weather.

Also, thread title is pretty inflammatory and IME, should be changed. Even if this particular flight was miscategorized, and it is far from certain that this is the case, "systematically" assumes this is SOP and happens regularly - certainly the OP offers no proof of this whatsoever.

Way not enough info to even know if a DOT complaint is warranted. If you have more, than fine. But doesn't sound like it. A no show because the captain decided to sleep in?Because his inbound got canceled due to weather? These things matter. Information that the captain didn't show is way too vague. And of the latter scenario, that would also be legitimately weather.

Now what if the captain couldn't get out of the driveway because of snow? What if he got into an accident on the road while trying to get to work when he hit a piece of black ice? Is it still unacceptable? Would the OP like to be docked a day of pay or a vacation day because they couldn't get to work after > a foot of snow? Just curious.

Honestly, there's huge storms out there. I understand people are frustrated, but guess what - there is a lot of weather out there, crews/equipment out of position with conditions that are not making it easy to get back to a regular schedule.

The staff at the airport are likely trying to help, and have likely also been working long hours and trying to deal with everyorne, but getting bombarded by customers is not going to help anyone. IME, I've seen some of the worst acts of customer aggression (I.e., yelling) when weather is involved. I'd much rather have to pay for a hotel, even for a few days, if it means I will get home safely.

Best thing to do during weather like this is to rebook as early as possible and wait it out. The flight was canceled. Move to get rebooked and home (or wherever) as soon as possible and move on.

If you're really upset about it, book DL or AA or someone else next time. The hope you aren't flying during a storm of this magnitude next time, which will likely result in some form of a similar rinse and repeat with said other carrier.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.