Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MileagePlus Account Balance (How many miles do you all keep in your accounts?)

MileagePlus Account Balance (How many miles do you all keep in your accounts?)

Old May 16, 2013, 3:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: National EE, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Thanks everyone for the replies. Like some of you, I mainly use the miles to purchase tickets for family to come visit and usually at the last minute so the rates (and fees) can get expensive.
Old May 16, 2013, 10:57 pm

Programs: UA GS
My account hit 350k at one point before buying the parents-in-law RT tickets to NZ, earning some more, and then sending my family to OSL on miles killed that (took it down to about 20k). Now with spend and travel its back up in the 225k range.

I also sent my wife and I to NZ way back in 2005 in C (on Air New Zealand), which killed what had been a mostly credit-card-miles pile.

I used to never spend miles on anything other than upgrades (or more accurately, upgrade attempts) on int'l flights untile those big trips above.
Old May 17, 2013, 2:30 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
I have 328k in one account, after having just booked two trips totaling 310k. In another account, I have 212k. Use it or lose it.
Old May 17, 2013, 3:04 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
I try not to keep more then around 300K. With that I can either get 2 F tkts between DXB-USA or one STANDARD AWARD F tkt for my GF to fly to the US. this is all I use my miles for anyway & I always book last minute so LH F is usually avail for me.

There is no point in keeping millions of miles in my account since I must BUY a tkt (usually with EK in F) between DXB-USA every month so any time I can use LH for free is thousands of $$ I save for me & my company. (It must be LH F though, I tried UA last week for the first time & won't do that again (to much hassle, ground product sucks & IAD is out of my way since usually going to NYC (JFK). No other *A carrier can get me from DXB-USA with 1 stop in F
Old May 17, 2013, 4:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
500k for me and 150k for my wife. Tend to use them for friends and family only, although hoping for some F tickets to Australia in the next year or so. If I do spend for myself it would never be on UA as closing in on MM - once that's achieved, my options open dramatically.
Old May 17, 2013, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by rankourabu
I try not to keep more than 200k in my account at one time.
Burn burn burn.
Best policy. I have about 600k on account right now and feel uncomfortable about it - got to book some F travel for the wife and me. The miles will never be worth more than they are today. I fear and expect devaluations in the future.
Old May 17, 2013, 9:39 am

Programs: UA nada, Hyatt Disc, Hilton Gold
I, too, fall in to the camp of those who believe there's no time like the present to use them up. I was up over 300k earlier this year, but my account will be down under 1k miles after I get done booking a round trip F award for the wife and I to Australia next year. She probably has around 50k in hers.
Old May 17, 2013, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
i use them when i need them and save them when i don't.

recently have made 3 OW and 2 RT redemptions so my balance is low by my standards. 62k. i prefer it to hover between 80-120k.

i expect in the future, it will be back up around 150k since i plan to be earning much more than redeeming until at least mid-2014.
Old May 17, 2013, 10:16 am

im in the under 100k miles group. newbie here!
Old May 17, 2013, 10:28 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Platinum with 2.5MM. Current AA EXP
640,000 Miles is Right for Me.....

Personally, I don't worry too much about the dreaded "devaluation". Seriously, the *A award chart hasn't changed that much in recent years. That said, I also ONLY use my miles for F or J Award seats.

While some award levels have been inflated in recent years, the quality of J has also improved on many *A carriers. Thus, while I prefer F, I'm now comfortable saving a few miles and taking the occasional J seat on many carriers.

So, for me, the magic number of miles to maintain in my account is 640,000. Given that most any F award on *A is 160,000 RT, I can get one for myself and a traveling companion for 320,000 miles.

I like to have double that amount in case:
1. I have to use Standard versus Saver (dreadful prospect)
2. I need to book two such trips simultaneously
3. I'm undecided on routings/carriers for a vacation so I need to "double book" so that I can "trip improve" on the routings/classes as the months go by.

Less than 640,000 in my account and I get a little nervous...
Old May 17, 2013, 7:15 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K 2 MM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
On fire

I've been burning a lot lately. Down to ~40k. I have more EQMs!
Old May 18, 2013, 1:01 am

Programs: AA Concierge Key UA 1K
6.5 million miles down from over 9 million. Use for hotels and flying friends around.
Old May 19, 2013, 9:42 am

Programs: MileagePlus
The highest I accumulated is 144,000 before flying to Australia on a Business Award. I'm back up to 66,000 but 50,000 came from switching from Mastercard to Visa.
Old May 19, 2013, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by gnetwerker
Surely one's MP balance is a rough proxy for life/work balance, at least for most of us.
Agreed. I used to zero out my MP balance each year. But life / work changes happened in 2010, and as result my life/work balance is out of whack. I have been at over one million miles for a long time now.
Old May 19, 2013, 7:35 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Diamon, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by RONINASPEN
6.5 million miles down from over 9 million. Use for hotels and flying friends around.
You're not serious, are you?

I have 359 miles in UA, and 400k in UR

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.