Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"PS Flight" - foreign term to United Reservations

Old May 15, 13, 8:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum

I get the following email today: "We have an important message regarding your itinerary flight UA1159 from JFK to Los Angeles, CA xxx. This flight is now scheduled on a Boeing 757-200 with flat-bed seats in United First, and personal on-demand entertainment and in-seat power available at every seat. This flight does not offer Wi-Fi. If you would like to change your travel plans to a p.s. flight that offers Wi-Fi, contact us at ....."
So I call United Premier desk, existing reservations, and ask the rep if there are other "PS Flights" I can take that day that would have wi-fi, due to the equipment change. The rep says "what is a PS Flight?" She has never heard of "PS". Shocked, I ask her how long she has been a United employee or if she is outsourced, and she says "13 years." She asks me to hold and after 15 minutes on hold, I call back doesnt come back. I call back and ask for a supervisor. The supervisor says "our reps wouldn't know what PS Service means" as if it's crazy that I am even asking this question. I say "I am confused, on your website, and in advertising, and even in this email I got TODAY, all I hear is LA to NY PS flights and your rep wouldnt know what that means? How is that possible?" She says something to the effect of "exactly that is a term that they haven't been trained with yet." I am dumbfounded at what a mess this airline is. I could go on and on but this is the latest craziness from United.....
Old May 15, 13, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If it was ex-CONs, this comes as no surprise.
Old May 15, 13, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Flying whoever is most convenient
i would surmise that on-board wifi is also a term lost on most/all UA reps
Old May 15, 13, 9:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, once-upon-a-time NW Gold, BMI Gold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
GPU is also a foreign term at the CO call centers.
Old May 15, 13, 10:27 pm

I've been told Domestic F seats are better than Business class on PS. Other than that nothing about it not existing. It's a company of 30k, though, so I believe it. HUCA and move on IMO.
Old May 16, 13, 12:39 am

Programs: UA Gold; AA Platinum Pro; DL Silver
Originally Posted by Kipper0214 View Post
I get the following email today: "We have an important message regarding your itinerary flight UA1159 from JFK to Los Angeles, CA xxx. This flight is now scheduled on a Boeing 757-200 with flat-bed seats in United First, and personal on-demand entertainment and in-seat power available at every seat. This flight does not offer Wi-Fi. If you would like to change your travel plans to a p.s. flight that offers Wi-Fi, contact us at ....."
I am envious that you got the email. My flight yesterday (full J fare) was a CO752, no wifi. No advance notice so that I could change flights. And no advance notice at the airport (either onboard or at the gate) to give folks some time to send any urgent emails and to let their offices/clients/whomever know that they would be out of reach for 6 hours.

Although a large inconvenience, it was not the end of the world for me, but a guy near me was apolplectic; he'd chosen United in part because of the advertised wifi on LAX-JFK and needed to be in touch for work. Such a loss of customer goodwill, I don't get it.

I don't really understand the inconsistency here -- why the emails to some and not others? And for what it's worth, one flight attendant didn't know what ps was, and the other did, but specifically said "Continental planes are not stocked to provide ps service." Forget the poor customer experience, it's just bad branding to market a route one way and then just ignore it on the actual flight.
Old May 16, 13, 1:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by Kipper0214 View Post
So I call United Premier desk, existing reservations, and ask the rep if there are other "PS Flights" I can take that day that would have wi-fi, due to the equipment change.
I would just ask if there were any other flights JFK to LAX/SFO. Or better yet, make the change on the web, where you can tell from the seat map what the equipment is.

These CS reps get paid crap to deal with irate customers all day. They're not out flying transcon business class (or spending their spare time surfing FT). I just don't understand why someone would get so upset because a CS rep is not familiar with the term "ps." How did this harm you in any possible way?
Old May 16, 13, 1:17 am

Programs: UA Gold; AA Platinum Pro; DL Silver
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
I would just ask if there were any other flights JFK to LAX/SFO. Or better yet, make the change on the web, where you can tell from the seat map what the equipment is.

These CS reps get paid crap to deal with irate customers all day. They're not out flying transcon business class (or spending their spare time surfing FT). I just don't understand why someone would get so upset because a CS rep is not familiar with the term "ps." How did this harm you in any possible way?
In fairness to the OP, if the agent is unfamilar with the term "ps", they are also unlikely to offer him/her the fee-free change of flights which United seems to offer (to some!) in this situation. They'd probably just respond as they would to any other customer looking to change flights by quoting change fees, increase in fare, etc.
Old May 16, 13, 1:22 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by twoaisleplane View Post
In fairness to the OP, if the agent is unfamilar with the term "ps", they are also unlikely to offer him/her the fee-free change of flights which United seems to offer (to some!) in this situation. They'd probably just respond as they would to any other customer looking to change flights by quoting change fees, increase in fare, etc.
Good point. The dreaded 30 minute hold for supervisor . . .
Old May 16, 13, 5:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX View Post
If it was ex-CONs, this comes as no surprise.
Some did know, even way before "takeover".

I once asked to re-route on a SJC-DEN-LGA ticket to SFO-JFK p.s. on a CO ticket. The agent came back and said no due to it is a premium route.
Old May 16, 13, 11:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post

Kacee, its not about any "harm", its simply about adequate customer service. United advertises the PS Flights, they are referred to on the United website, I got an email yesterday referring to PS Flights so when you call the rep and refer to United language and they say they have never heard of that term then put you on "death hold" its simply bad business. This is why they get irate customers... What I didn't mention is that I typically fly EWR which is very convenient. I scheduled this cross country flight out of JFK which is farther from my residence solely because of WiFi. So maybe that is "harmful."
Old May 16, 13, 11:14 am

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by hobo13 View Post
GPU is also a foreign term at the CO call centers.
It's also a foreign term at many UA call centers (since they still call then "systemwides" )
Old May 16, 13, 11:35 am

Programs: United 1K, Delta PM, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold, Club Carlson Gold
I think there's still a large presence of an "information bubble" over at the sCO side.
Old May 16, 13, 5:52 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, AA-PP, AS, DL, HH G, SPG Gold, TA nada
I had an agent yesterday, Tampa call center, that didn't know the 747 had a upper deck.
Old May 16, 13, 6:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott BonVoy LT Titanium Elite, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by zoegksf View Post
I had an agent yesterday, Tampa call center, that didn't know the 747 had a upper deck.
That's a problem in and of itself - there hasn't been a TPA call center for years. In fact, they even tore the building down awhile back. No wonder the poor agent didn't know - they're probably out wandering around somewhere looking for the office...

Search this Thread