Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Blocking adjacent seat to elite member?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2017, 11:59 am

Programs: UA Lifetime GS 4mm
Originally Posted by Two Bee
LAS-SFO & SFO-HKG last Sunday both arrived nearly 3 hours late. While some may have been ecstatic that they could lay down in our mis-connect seats, as a misconnect for my wife and I in HKG, I wasn't quite as happy for the guy that was able to lay down in my seat. Karma is just around the corner for some that take comfort/glee with others misery.

Winter is coming, WATCH OUT FOR "Runners"!
Originally Posted by Two Bee
Yep!

Any flight that someone mis-connects, does not make me feel triumphantly joyful!
I was miffed because upgrade did not clear again for Hnl-iah, but glad I got middle seat block and happy I got whole row out of this. I have my share of misconnects from Sfo-hkg, sfo-nrt, sfo-ord.

Originally Posted by physioprof
Seems like a very odd interpretation that someone who is happy to have an empty seat next to them--for whatever reason, misconnect or otherwise--is "tak[ing] comfort/glee with others [sic] misery". They have no idea who was gonna be next to them, and are only taking pleasure in their own ability to make use of extra space, not in the misfortune of someone who may have misconnected. Should they sit upright and not make any use of the extra unoccupied space in order to avoid "karma"?
+1

Originally Posted by Kacee
And if I miss, I certainly hope another passenger is able to have a more pleasant flight as a consequence.

Pass it on.
+1

Originally Posted by fumje
From perusing the anecdotes, it looks like the possible auto-blocking is only done either within T-24 or after check-in (unclear which), but the block gets removed if there are no empty seats left to clear SBY. I have never personally observed something that seemed like automatic seat blocking, but I usually book months in advance and don't look to change seats at or after checking in.

I have had a few instances where the middle seat remained open until 30m to 1h before the flight, or where I even boarded thinking the middle would be open and then someone ultimately showed up. Perhaps that was a block that I'd otherwise attributed to good luck turned 'bad' luck.
My iah-Hnl flight was booked 2 months ago, no seat change, but got the rare middle seat block. I have many other flights where last minute middle seat was given to standby though.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by npei
I was miffed because upgrade did not clear again for Hnl-iah, but glad I got middle seat block and happy I got whole row out of this. I have my share of misconnects from Sfo-hkg, sfo-nrt, sfo-ord.

+1

+1

My iah-Hnl flight was booked 2 months ago, no seat change, but got the rare middle seat block. I have many other flights where last minute middle seat was given to standby though.
Did you observe the seat block before checking in? I.e. it showed occupied on the seat map as rendered in the flight status, but it was available for you to select if you went to change seats in your reservation?
Old Dec 6, 2017, 4:30 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime GS 4mm
Originally Posted by fumje
Did you observe the seat block before checking in? I.e. it showed occupied on the seat map as rendered in the flight status, but it was available for you to select if you went to change seats in your reservation?
Seat was blocked before checkin, but I did not see need to try to change to that seat
Old Nov 22, 2018, 1:18 pm

Programs: UA
I assume I experienced this phenomenon, much to my surprise and delight. I was on a lightly loaded 738, 4 hr CPU-eligble flight last night. As a Silver, checked in at T-24, E+ wide open, including entire bulkhead row. I selected 7D.

An hour later, I checked again trying to get a relative seat 7E. It was occupied, while there were plenty of whole rows still empty in E+. 7C still unoccupied. I got my relative 7F, after some grumbling and cussing about 7D. I figured some hurried agent assigned a disabled pax 7E or something (instead of 7C?), and started preparing my seat swap scenarios. I watched 7E all through check-in, boarding, upgrade processes and such. It remained occupied on seat map until takeoff, no one ever sniffed it, we enjoyed the empty seat between us.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 1:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I received proof, yet again, that there is no elite seat blocking last week on SFO-PHX. I was in 21C on a 320, standby pax was assigned 21B, despite numerous other empty seats in the cabin. Fortunately pax was petite, so it wasn't a big (literally) deal.
Originally Posted by YadiMolina
I watched 7E all through check-in, boarding, upgrade processes and such. It remained occupied on seat map until takeoff, no one ever sniffed it, we enjoyed the empty seat between us.
Under airport control for disabled pax.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 1:43 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
I assume I experienced this phenomenon, much to my surprise and delight. I was on a lightly loaded 738, 4 hr CPU-eligble flight last night. As a Silver, checked in at T-24, E+ wide open, including entire bulkhead row. I selected 7D.

An hour later, I checked again trying to get a relative seat 7E. It was occupied, while there were plenty of whole rows still empty in E+. 7C still unoccupied. I got my relative 7F, after some grumbling and cussing about 7D. I figured some hurried agent assigned a disabled pax 7E or something (instead of 7C?), and started preparing my seat swap scenarios. I watched 7E all through check-in, boarding, upgrade processes and such. It remained occupied on seat map until takeoff, no one ever sniffed it, we enjoyed the empty seat between us.
After takeoff does it how the seat occupied or vacant?

When I've had seats blocked for me (one time explicitly but jokingly asking -- not expecting a "yes", once as part of VDB compensation, the others "assumed") the seat continues to show unavailable/occupied/blocked "forever" (or at least until the status is no longer available). On the other hand, in cases where the passenger has no-showed or misconnected the seat map will show the seat as occupied until just after the flight closes/the passenger is offloaded and the seat assignment released. (there seems to be a slight lag before the "final" seatmap shows up on the app/UA.com)
Old Nov 22, 2018, 1:51 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
I received proof, yet again, that there is no elite seat blocking last week on SFO-PHX.
Didn't that end, like several years ago?
Old Nov 22, 2018, 2:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Didn't that end, like several years ago?
Yes. Did CO ever do it?

To the extent elites do sometimes benefit from a block (as reported in this thread), it is not a UA policy. It's either an especially attentive GA or blocking for a different purpose (e.g., 7D-F for disabled pax).
Old Nov 23, 2018, 1:25 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP

7D and 7E are always “blocked.” The seat map will always show it occupied until departure, but will be selectable in the seat change screens upon check in.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 11:24 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by GoSh4rks

7D and 7E are always “blocked.” The seat map will always show it occupied until departure, but will be selectable in the seat change screens upon check in.
I guess that's plausible. But again, I could select 7D at T-24, but couldn't select 7E at T-23. Even the UA agent I called wasn't able to assign my relative, in fact a minor, to 7E and put her in 7F, even after I rhetorically asked "who picks 7E when 7C is open?"

And, there was a wheelchair passenger aboard, but she was seated several rows behind us.
Old Jan 9, 2022, 12:19 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
Any chance United is blocking seats on some routes in Polaris? I am flying NRT-LAX today and for the past few days, a lot more seats show as occupied as booked. As of a few hours before departure, the flight status page indicates 24 seats booked but 40 seats show as occupied in the seat map.
Old Jan 9, 2022, 5:08 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by FlytheTail
Any chance United is blocking seats on some routes in Polaris? I am flying NRT-LAX today and for the past few days, a lot more seats show as occupied as booked. As of a few hours before departure, the flight status page indicates 24 seats booked but 40 seats show as occupied in the seat map.
PVG-SFO shows 18 seats blocked every day. But if one talked nicely to a gate agent at PVG, he/she might clear from upgrade standby list even “business is full.” (Counting the blocked seats.) My friend’s in law got the IN request cleared after talking to a gate agent and the seat map showed 16 empty seats afterwards.
Old Jan 9, 2022, 10:08 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by FlytheTail
I noticed this on NRT-EWR too, which is currently showing the old 2-2-2 seatmap tomorrow (1/10/22). EF indicates they've blocked the adjacent seat to every solo traveler. Maybe it's something NRT staff do.
Old Feb 13, 2023, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Just had a seat blocked next to me (on two flights!) for the first time in many years.

LHR-EWR and I specifically selected a middle seat on the 767 to get the row of 3 to myself. The flight had maybe 30 people in coach, if that. An hour after I checked in I re-checked the seat map and saw someone grabbed the seat next to me which made me mad given how empty the map was. I went back to "View Boarding Pass Options" and the seat map during check-in showed it available to me. I don't know what someone else would have seen. Boarded the flight dead last and the purser came and introduced himself and then a different FA came up and welcome me and told me the whole row is available to me and even showed me the iOS device which showed the seat map and my status and the seat next to me blocked.

EWR-xxx I was in a bulkhead window and the seat next to me showed occupied in the seat map and during re-OLCI. Short flight so I wasn't worried. Board the plane, almost last, and right behind a handicapped person. The FA wanted to move them closer to the front so brought out her iOS device, asked where I was sitting and said, "Oh, you're my 1K in the back. The seat next to you is blocked, FYI."

Would love to see this come back as a normal thing if the flight isn't full.

-RM
PS - this was on a Basic Eco ticket
ZenFlyer and evol like this.
Old Feb 13, 2023, 8:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Accor Platinum, Marriott Gold, Delta Silver, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
Just had a seat blocked next to me (on two flights!) for the first time in many years.

LHR-EWR and I specifically selected a middle seat on the 767 to get the row of 3 to myself. The flight had maybe 30 people in coach, if that. An hour after I checked in I re-checked the seat map and saw someone grabbed the seat next to me which made me mad given how empty the map was. I went back to "View Boarding Pass Options" and the seat map during check-in showed it available to me. I don't know what someone else would have seen. Boarded the flight dead last and the purser came and introduced himself and then a different FA came up and welcome me and told me the whole row is available to me and even showed me the iOS device which showed the seat map and my status and the seat next to me blocked.

EWR-xxx I was in a bulkhead window and the seat next to me showed occupied in the seat map and during re-OLCI. Short flight so I wasn't worried. Board the plane, almost last, and right behind a handicapped person. The FA wanted to move them closer to the front so brought out her iOS device, asked where I was sitting and said, "Oh, you're my 1K in the back. The seat next to you is blocked, FYI."

Would love to see this come back as a normal thing if the flight isn't full.

-RM
PS - this was on a Basic Eco ticket
I had a completely opposite experience on SFO-NRT this Sunday.
Half empty flight with lots of non-revs. I was in Premium Plus seat 20A and the cabin had just a few occupied seats.

I thought 20B was going to be empty as most non-revs got Polaris seats but at the last minute (after I boarded) someone was placed there.
The woman next to me was mad because she had 20L and got kicked out of it by GA because "a couple wanted to sit together". She really wanted a window seat.
22 DEFG and several other seats (including window seats) were empty but GA decided to place her next to the only 1K in Premium Plus.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.