Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Update on our Airbus Reconfigurations (Seats, Entertainment, Channel 9, etc.)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: How do you feel about the new RECARO seats UA is installing?
I love them
1.83%
They are okay
9.57%
I am indifferent
6.31%
I don't really like them
20.98%
I hate them
48.07%
I've not tried them yet / no opinion
13.24%
Voters: 491. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jun 3, 2017, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Update on our Airbus Reconfigurations (Seats, Entertainment, Channel 9, etc.)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2013, 7:53 am

Programs: United MM (formerly 1K), Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by halls120
Yes, but will the network on board be robust enough to handle the load?
I think that is the big question. If each video stream consumes 1 to 2 Mbps and the Wireless network can only transmit 60+ Mbps to stay compatible with older devices, video will probably start breaking down around 25 users?
Old Nov 26, 2013, 12:02 pm

Programs: UA GS
Reading all of these responses, I have to wonder how hard it can be for a CEO to get it right? What is true for soft product (customer service, helpfulness, cheerfulness, politeness, proactivity) is true for hard product as well: the little things, like personal space, entertainment, wifi usability, and seat comfort, matter greatly in determining the user experience.

Rolling out new seats that seem almost universally to be panned as being less comfortable than park benches, while also rolling out inadequate-speed wifi (soon to be burdened with more high-load data streaming) and deleting basic TV screens, seems like a recipe for disaster.

There is a spectrum here when it comes to cost saving measures. Some things that carriers do to lose weight (and save gas) and reduce other costs are barely noticeable to the consumer. Eliminate blankets on transcons and people don't usually blink. Other things cut costs but materially degrade the user experience -- cutting to the bone.

I'd submit that out of all the core responsibilities of an airline to its passengers, making sure passengers have a seat that is ok to sit in for 2-3 hours (let alone 4-6) is among the most basic -- on par with "getting people to their destination on time as much as possible".

I am hoping this refurb program is a trial rollout and not what is in store for the rest of UA's short haul fleet. Because adding abysmal seat comfort to the already narrow 737 seats (relative to the Airbus seats) could very well secure my exit from UA as a frequent flyer.
Old Nov 28, 2013, 2:33 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond
Well my 319 just changed to the new configuration. Amazing how UA didn't know this even as of 10PM last night, right as the plane was leaving ORD to Philly. I bought 20 DE thinking there'd be no one next to us. Now there will be. From reports here, this is going to be a long transcontinental flight.

This seat is awful. And for FT knowledge, Row 20 does NOT recline at all. Limited recline means zero on the reconfigured 319.

This is going to be torture for PHL-SFO.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Dec 1, 2013 at 4:45 pm Reason: Combine consecutive posts of same member.
Old Nov 28, 2013, 9:03 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by airb330
This seat is awful. And for FT knowledge, Row 20 does NOT recline at all. Limited recline means zero on the reconfigured 319.

This is going to be torture for PHL-SFO.
You are correct as to zero recline for row 20 and that is pretty much the same story across the fleet for the first of the two exit rows (row 20) so my rule of thumb for the 319 & 320 is to opt for row 7 first, then row 21 followed by any e+ aisle
Old Nov 28, 2013, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by goalie
You are correct as to zero recline for row 20 and that is pretty much the same story across the fleet for the first of the two exit rows (row 20) so my rule of thumb for the 319 & 320 is to opt for row 7 first, then row 21 followed by any e+ aisle
Thanks., all of the good seats were sold out but at least we didn't have anyone sitting in our row; it's why I picked 20 since we were supposed to have the other configuration. A more accurate description would be "no recline" then IMO. Limited seems to imply 1-2" instead of the normal 4-5. No big deal I never recline much.

Seat cushion was fine on the bottom for me. The padding for the back was inadequate for a long flight. I never liked pmCO seats and these are worse as many here echoed.
Old Nov 28, 2013, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by seanva
Could not even open a small laptop as the seats are so close to each other. I guess this aircraft is not for business travelers.
This aircraft is not for humans.

How does streaming entertainment to your device make sense when seat pitch is too tight for you to open a laptop?
Old Nov 28, 2013, 2:46 pm

I would not be surprise when the conversion completed they will start renting out devices on board. Just saying.
Old Nov 28, 2013, 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by BearX220
This aircraft is not for humans.

How does streaming entertainment to your device make sense when seat pitch is too tight for you to open a laptop?
I saw someone in row 12 that had their 15.4" laptop on their stomach and half of it on the small tray table. I thought E+ was fine, but it looked tight for him. Our MacBook air fit fine though.
Old Nov 29, 2013, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Finally flew the reconfigured 320 and my mother and I thought the seats were very uncomfortable padding-wise for our SMF-IAD flight. You had to constantly shift your position after getting uncomfortable.

As shameful was the removal of the IFE for nothing at all. Pretty low-rent image-wise.
Old Nov 29, 2013, 5:37 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
I actually felt like there was slightly more room for laptop use than in the older seats--but maybe because there was no one in front of me reclining. I have a 15" laptop, and it's tough to use it in just about all domestic UA seats. I much preferred my 12" ultrabook for travel--it just didn't cut it capability-wise, though, for what I need in a laptop.
Old Nov 30, 2013, 2:31 pm

Longtime lurker. Registered just to add another "hate" vote to these awful con-jobs by United. Got switched off the 757 SFO-EWR and into this flying bench-seat.

First thing that was noticeable was the upright position of the seats followed by the knee knock of the seat and armrest in front of you. Being 6'1' the seat-tops felt sawed off. There is head-room, but it's odd to see so much above you now. Seat is definitely shorter height-wise.

Tray table is a joke and the magazine rack has this cross-bar to hold everything in instead of something solid. Had some narrower things slip out.

If you pivot in your seat, the whole row shakes.

Armrests are basically hollow pencils.

Felt bad for the FAs. They had to keep apologizing for their company's lacking product. They bemoaned it just being "a job" these days.

Luckily, I flew back VX. I'll gladly pay the premium that UA is trying to kill them on the EWR route with fare-wise. Worth every penny and I hope that VX continues to do everything right.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 5:38 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
Have flown the reconfigured A320s a couple of times and I am overall satisfied. Note my experience in coach has only been row 7, therefore had nice legroom with the bulkhead. As for the seats I was not uncomfortable at all on a SFO/ORD route (I carry a small blanket that I put behind my lower back due to back issues, am 5'7" tall and thin but I like my comfort). I was shocked with no outlets for anything but used the wi-fi and it worked great, $9.99. I understand UA will soon be offering monthly subscriptions and that streaming movies and TV shows should start this month (on own device). But I walked to the lav once and saw coach and was in complete shock, I could not believe the lack of space, it appeared everyone's knees were right into the seat ahead. I cannot imagine how it would be if someone reclined in front of you.
Old Dec 7, 2013, 8:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
Had my first experience with the new seats today. DEN-SFO, A320, row 20. I once attended a conference in a 150-yr-old classroom with narrow wooden bench seats. I thought that was the worst seating I had ever experienced - until today. 7 hours later and my back still hurts from the flight. I can't imagine a longer flight in those seats. From here on out, I am boycotting the Airbus. On routes with no choice, I will fly another airline. I will not knowingly fly in those seats again.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 9:29 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Cranky Flier Review

Seems he's not much of a fan either.

http://crankyflier.com/2013/12/12/a-...medium=twitter
Old Dec 12, 2013, 2:11 pm

Programs: UA G
And here I thought that Airbus Satellite Wi-Fi was supposed to be better than Gogo.

Thanks UA, but no thanks. I'll keep flying US and VX when I have to have working Wi-Fi.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.