Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Update on our Airbus Reconfigurations (Seats, Entertainment, Channel 9, etc.)

View Poll Results: How do you feel about the new RECARO seats UA is installing?
I love them
1.84%
They are okay
9.63%
I am indifferent
6.15%
I don't really like them
20.90%
I hate them
48.36%
I've not tried them yet / no opinion
13.11%
Voters: 488. You may not vote on this poll

Update on our Airbus Reconfigurations (Seats, Entertainment, Channel 9, etc.)

Hide Wikipost
Old Jun 3, 17, 5:08 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old Mar 20, 16, 12:44 pm

Programs: 1 thousand
Originally Posted by thejaredhuang View Post
I prefer non-exit row Recaros over the slimlines in the 737. When I sat in the Recaro's I immediately feel more back/lumbar support than the slims. Am I the only one? I probably have a frame that fits it better than you lucky tall people.
I haven't evaluated the back support in detail, but I remember feeling fidgety on the slimline 737s (no issues with the older seats), but I feel comfortable in the Airbus seats (they feel a bit less soft than the 737 slimlines, but no huge difference). I'm 6'2", but have longer legs and a fairly small torso.

Overall I feel much more comfortable in the A319/320 because of the extra width, I can actually get stuff done on a laptop without feeling like I can't move my elbows at all.
Old Nov 18, 16, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM 1K; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by c502cid View Post
Just flew F in the A320 with the new seats DEN-ORD. Whomever designed these seats has never been on an airplane in their life. Sore wasn't the word for it. Worse yet, the tray tables.....
I just need to bring this thread back to life because I just had the most uncomfortable FC flight of my life in 2F last night on a 320 PIT-DEN.

The dang seat had me fidgeting after about 45 minutes, and I couldn't use the tray table for my laptop because it couldn't be moved far enough forward when I was reclined.

Really does make you wonder about the decision-making processes within United management. You can bet your bottom that I would test-fly these seats (and all others) multiple times if I were the one making the decision on which to equip these planes with.
Old Jul 20, 17, 7:51 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
Does anyone know if row 3 on the A320 has reduced recline with the new first class seats? I recall with the pmUA seats there were no seat recline issues, however I saw a photo online that looked like the seat is almost up against the bulk head.
Old Jul 20, 17, 7:56 am

Programs: UA 1K 22 years/2MM, HHonors Diamond, Shangri-La Jade, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Originally Posted by JLiebo92 View Post
Does anyone know if row 3 on the A320 has reduced recline with the new first class seats? I recall with the pmUA seats there were no seat recline issues, however I saw a photo online that looked like the seat is almost up against the bulk head.
I wouldn’t expect an issue since the new seats recline more from the seat pan sliding forward than from the seat back moving backwards. There should be the same recline in all three rows.
Old Jul 20, 17, 10:13 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SFO 1K View Post
I wouldn’t expect an issue since the new seats recline more from the seat pan sliding forward than from the seat back moving backwards. There should be the same recline in all three rows.
So what you're saying is that the new seats feature reduced recline in all rows compared to their predecessors.
Old Jul 20, 17, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by transportprof View Post
So what you're saying is that the new seats feature reduced recline in all rows compared to their predecessors.
That is not true at all. The new seats seem to recline at least as much in all rows -- but they get the space to recline by sliding the seat pan forward vs. reclining into the space of the person behind yu. I really like these (now not so) new seats.
Old Jul 20, 17, 3:40 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post
That is not true at all. The new seats seem to recline at least as much in all rows -- but they get the space to recline by sliding the seat pan forward vs. reclining into the space of the person behind yu. I really like these (now not so) new seats.
I've only flown in the "new" A320 F seats once, and it's been a while. But my recollection was that the old ones reclined really far back, like into the person behind's lap. I'm not much of a recliner, myself, except overnight, so I haven't put the new seat through its reclining paces. But if I ever get a domestic upgrade again, I'll look forward to having the recline without the seat back in my lap.
Old Jul 25, 17, 9:26 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | DL Silver | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre 
Originally Posted by transportprof View Post
I've only flown in the "new" A320 F seats once, and it's been a while. But my recollection was that the old ones reclined really far back, like into the person behind's lap. I'm not much of a recliner, myself, except overnight, so I haven't put the new seat through its reclining paces. But if I ever get a domestic upgrade again, I'll look forward to having the recline without the seat back in my lap.
The new A320/319 F seats all recline the same, regardless of row. I have flown many many times in these seats. I now prefer the 3rd row (or 2nd on A319) so I can recline without annoying anyone seated behind me. I used avoid the back rows because they did not recline as far.

I just wish the B737/8/9 fleet would follow in suit. Even their newer seats in the last row don't recline as far.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: