Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Update on our Airbus Reconfigurations (Seats, Entertainment, Channel 9, etc.)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: How do you feel about the new RECARO seats UA is installing?
I love them
1.83%
They are okay
9.57%
I am indifferent
6.31%
I don't really like them
20.98%
I hate them
48.07%
I've not tried them yet / no opinion
13.24%
Voters: 491. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jun 3, 2017, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Update on our Airbus Reconfigurations (Seats, Entertainment, Channel 9, etc.)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2014, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by elitefreak
Fingers crossed. Those seats are an embarrassment.
Yup. Sitting on the old seats right now - it's not even comparable. Better contour, longer cushion, higher off the ground.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 7:56 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Yup. Sitting on the old seats right now - it's not even comparable. Better contour, longer cushion, higher off the ground.
But but, surveys show they get better over time.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 7:49 pm

Programs: United 1K & Million Miler, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Five Star
Brings discomfort to a whole new level!

I think a simple plank of wood would be more comfortable! Also the very short and narrow armrests cause a whole new problem, the passenger next to you falling asleep and splaying their legs freely into your "personal space". And as for the new seat back storage nets, why bother, they are stretched so tight that it's almost impossible to put anything in them! Totally useless.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Two non-slimlines in a row! Made 3.5-4 hr flights go by in relative comfort.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 9:11 am

Programs: United MP 1K, SPG Gold
wow, looks like i should be looking for flights on a non-refurbed 757-200 with those CRT's in the center aisle over any of these updated planes. sitting on a 752 and then a 738 back to back in the exit rows made me really appreciate the seats on the 752 much more. wider, and cushier for sure.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 9:19 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Evident
wow, looks like i should be looking for flights on a non-refurbed 757-200 with those CRT's in the center aisle over any of these updated planes. sitting on a 752 and then a 738 back to back in the exit rows made me really appreciate the seats on the 752 much more. wider, and cushier for sure.
Not wider.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 10:44 am

Programs: United MP 1K, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
Not wider.
felt that way to me, but i guess it was in part to the fact there was a linebacker sitting next to me on the 738 flight. the 757 seat was definitely cushier for sure.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 12:32 pm

Programs: UAL 1K MM
my first flight with the slim line seats (A320). Man are these uncomfortable. Sore before the door even closed. Almost unbelievable how bad these are.

Very thin armrests; certainly not shareable. Nowhere to put a water bottle or a book over 2 inches thick. No entertainment.

Another improvement I'll be happy with.

Last edited by hans; Mar 21, 2014 at 11:00 am
Old Mar 20, 2014, 3:59 pm

Programs: AA, AS, UA, Amtrak
Getting ready to take a 320 on a SFO-MSY redeye in June. It sounds like I better be prepared for some back pain if I get one with the new seats.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 10:54 pm

Programs: AA, UA
Just had my first flights on the slim line seats. DCA-IAH-AUS on the A320. They are much more firm than the old A320 seats (which I had on the outbound). Not too comfortable for a long flight.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 11:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
Believe it. I'm glad there is awareness of the near universal dislike for the new furniture.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 9:34 am
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by tuolumne
Had a lengthy conversation with a UAL employee today who stated the company is in talks with the manufacture to make changes to the seat design, due to a near universal dislike for the current design. Personally I'm not expecting anything too drastic.
Great... The changes will probably be made in time for the next generation of seats, with installations starting in ~2018, on the 739ERs that will take over transpac flying from the retiring 752s. Or something like that.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 2:03 pm

Programs: UA GS
Had my first trip in the new Y seats. DEN-DCA (which UA has downgauged from a 757 -- even as GS I got no CPU on this flight whereas DEN-DCA used to be pretty much guaranteed upgrade for 1K and above).

I am 6'6". I was in 7A (I think -- whatever row is the first Y row). Not as bad as I expected. Still its 4 hours in UA Y, which is bad enough, but the seat itself wasn't nearly as uncomfortable as I had expected. However the seat cushion length seemed really short.

Still not as good as the older A320 seats, to be clear. But not awful, at least on this trip wth the large amount of legroom you get in row 7A to stretch out.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 5:07 pm

Programs: AC*A
Originally Posted by harryhood
I am 6'6". I was in 7A (I think -- whatever row is the first Y row). Not as bad as I expected. Still its 4 hours in UA Y, which is bad enough, but the seat itself wasn't nearly as uncomfortable as I had expected. However the seat cushion length seemed really short.

Still not as good as the older A320 seats, to be clear. But not awful, at least on this trip wth the large amount of legroom you get in row 7A to stretch out.
I flew two 2-hour hops last week and completely agree. While they aren't perfect I don't think they are nearly as bad as the hype makes them out to be. However, since they were fairly short flights I guess I cannot describe them on a 4-hour or transcon flight.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 8:23 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Just flew DEN-LAS on a CRJ-700 with slim seats on 4/12... same story that I have been telling... absolutely uncomfortable seats, even on a 1.5hr flight! I felt stiff and sore exiting that aircraft.

I must say that my return yesterday morning on the same plant in F from FAT-DEN was quite nice. The new first class seats are pretty comfy.

These Y seats are an abomination, and UA should be embarrassed to offer that product to its customers.

Last edited by l etoile; Apr 20, 2014 at 7:15 am Reason: Removed manually added signature per rules

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.