Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Update on our Airbus Reconfigurations (Seats, Entertainment, Channel 9, etc.)

View Poll Results: How do you feel about the new RECARO seats UA is installing?
I love them
1.83%
They are okay
9.57%
I am indifferent
6.31%
I don't really like them
20.98%
I hate them
48.07%
I've not tried them yet / no opinion
13.24%
Voters: 491. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jun 3, 2017, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Update on our Airbus Reconfigurations (Seats, Entertainment, Channel 9, etc.)

Old May 9, 2013, 9:22 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime GS 4mm
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
But did it have the new seats? That's how you can tell. However I know of only one that has gone in so far to receive the new seats believe that is Tail #4668 and that isn't due to return to service until next week.
It had new seats in first
Old May 9, 2013, 9:25 pm

Location: IAD, and sometimes OMNI/PR. Currently: not far from IAD, but home will always be SAN (not far from the "touch my junk and I'll have you arrested" Memorial TSA Check Point) even if I'm not there so much these days.
Programs: UA, CO, Calcifer Award for Mad Haiku Skillz
Wow. A full inch of additional legroom. Now there's some SERIOUS lipstick they're putting on that pig.
Old May 9, 2013, 9:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by npei
- strike that, it was actually UA flight 321 operated by UA metal on reconfig A320
I'm not seeing that flight...
Old May 9, 2013, 9:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by aacharya
Not sure "everybody" does but a large segment that cares about IFE will have one. Those that don't still carry their books.

Remember - these planes will be around for a good part of this decade. We should be thinking "what will people be doing wrt IFE in five years". Technology certainly will be much more entrenched in the flying public then.
Fine then leave the existing IFE in place in the intervening 5 years for transition.

And Why are they putting screens in the brand new 787s? Surely those should have been delivered blank as they will be flying a decade from now, when everyone will have multiple devices in each of their pants pockets. Are they not thinking about technology "5 years from now" when it came to the 787??

You can't have it both ways.

Bkafrick - you are assuming everyone boards an aircraft with 100% fully charged devices. Yes an iPad can go 4-5 hours but if it is starting at 25%
Old May 9, 2013, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
Fine then leave the existing IFE in place in the intervening 5 years for transition.

And Why are they putting screens in the brand new 787s? Surely those should have been delivered blank as they will be flying a decade from now, when everyone will have multiple devices in each of their pants pockets. Are they not thinking about technology "5 years from now" when it came to the 787??

Bkafrick - you are assuming everyone boards an aircraft with 100% fully charged devices. Yes an iPad can go 4-5 hours but if it is starting at 25%
787 is a long long haul bird. Airbii are domestic birds. Big difference. You know that.
Old May 9, 2013, 9:47 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime GS 4mm
- strike that, it was actually UA flight 1658 operated by UA metal on reconfig A320
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
I'm not seeing that flight...
You are referring to published schedule showing 4/23 flight 1658 @7:12 am sjc-Iah with 737-900. I got advance check-in boarding notification with flight 1658 info and 737-900 but at airport was surprised to find equip swap with reconfig A320.
Old May 9, 2013, 9:50 pm

You are referring to published schedule showing 4/23 flight 1658 @7:12 am sjc-Iah with 737-900. I got advance check-in boarding notification with flight 1658 info and 737-900 but at airport was surprised to find equip swap with reconfig A320.
Special lighting and bins... It sounds like you may have actually just been on a 739...
Old May 9, 2013, 9:55 pm

Programs: UA G
That wasn't the direct choice though. The Airbus IFE was already in place. It was a purposeful choice to rip it out

New seats (more specifically an extra row, just like WN did) is likely what tipped it.
Agreed. I'm guessing that wiring up the seats requires more money, so they opted not to do it. Shrug. I hope we see the benefits of those cost savings elsewhere.
Old May 9, 2013, 9:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by aacharya

787 is a long long haul bird. Airbii are domestic birds. Big difference. You know that.
And you know very well UA is taking something (features) away. Just admit basic facts.

btw, Airbii aren't being contained to the US 48.
Old May 9, 2013, 10:04 pm

Programs: UA G
And you know very well UA is taking something (features) away. Just admit basic facts.

btw, Airbii aren't being contained to the US 48.
You're welcome to look only at the things taken away; these things are always trade offs. To me, the addition of Wi-Fi blows away all of the other changes in this announcement.
Old May 9, 2013, 10:11 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
DEN is becoming a 737 / RJ hub, so may I never see one of these awful creations.....
Old May 9, 2013, 10:12 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
Special lighting and bins... It sounds like you may have actually just been on a 739...
I agree!!!
Old May 9, 2013, 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by unavaca
You're welcome to look only at the things taken away; these things are always trade offs. To me, the addition of Wi-Fi blows away all of the other changes in this announcement.
I agree as well -- but looking at the overall picture, it's all cost saving measures that only benefits UA with more $$$ (either in savings in weight, cramming us into smaller "efficient" spaces, or money from IFE/WiFi). Smart but it also makes UA look like it's nickel and diming us.

Also -- the other aspects should be important to everyone as it could only get worse. What is the point of WiFi if they raise the cost to $19.99 and shrinkthe seats so small that you can't even type because you don't have enough elbow room next to you?

It's lipstick on a pig like someone said before.
Old May 9, 2013, 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by LASUA1K
I agree!!!
npei: Did the ceiling of the plane look like this?

Old May 9, 2013, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The prevailing industry standard configuration for 76-seat E175s and CRJ900s is 12F/16E+/48Y. DL, AA and UA are all configuring new 76-seaters with that generous F ratio.

Against that backdrop, the mere 8 F seats in 120-seat A319s stands out like a very sore thumb.

Of course, the airline execs aren't outfitting those large RJs with 12F because they're kind and generous to their frequent flyers - the pilots' unions are to thank for the 12F seats as they have held firm on a 76-seat limit on these planes, so fewer F seats wouldn't result in more Y seats on those RJs.

Sadly, fewer F seats on A319s can result in more Y seats on those planes.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.