Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Update on our Airbus Reconfigurations (Seats, Entertainment, Channel 9, etc.)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: How do you feel about the new RECARO seats UA is installing?
I love them
1.83%
They are okay
9.57%
I am indifferent
6.31%
I don't really like them
20.98%
I hate them
48.07%
I've not tried them yet / no opinion
13.24%
Voters: 491. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jun 3, 2017, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Update on our Airbus Reconfigurations (Seats, Entertainment, Channel 9, etc.)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2013, 1:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Be careful what you wish for / hope you enjoy the new Recaro seats.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
fearing my A320 flight from SMF-IAD in a couple of weeks I am thinking about rebooking on Delta even though this ticket is one of the $10 SHARES specials. flight is already F4 so not banking on the upgrade and not looking to roll the dice on getting an old config plane.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 1:54 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by AeoNKiNG
The interior of both of these aircraft on United are so old! They have overhead entertainment. I know I sound spoiled, and I guess I am. But flying on Delta for so long made me accustomed to AVOD.

Why does United only have AVOD/DirecTV on their Boeing aircraft?

Also, the 747 in coach has overhead entertainment only. That's the same stuff since the 1980s!
The sad thing is that UA's updates to the A320s is to remove all IFE. That's right: they're going from overhead, single-program IFE not to AVOD, but to nada!

The "plan" is to provide streaming, on-demand IFE which you'd watch over your own device (tablet or laptop). They're not putting in seat-back IFE, AVOD or otherwise. And, at least so far, they're not putting in power outlets with the awful Recaro seats, meaning that yes, there will be streaming IVE available, but good luck on a long flight!
Old Nov 18, 2013, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by AeoNKiNG
The interior of both of these aircraft on United are so old! They have overhead entertainment. I know I sound spoiled, and I guess I am. But flying on Delta for so long made me accustomed to AVOD.

Why does United only have AVOD/DirecTV on their Boeing aircraft?

Also, the 747 in coach has overhead entertainment only. That's the same stuff since the 1980s!
Delta also has a majority of aircraft without any entertainment right now. All their MD-88's, MD-90's, DC-9's and 717's have nothing on them. Their 757's seem to have mostly the old overhead screens. Not defending our product at all, but Delta has older aircraft than we do.

AD
Old Nov 18, 2013, 4:10 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
I wouldn't do that

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
fearing my A320 flight from SMF-IAD in a couple of weeks I am thinking about rebooking on Delta even though this ticket is one of the $10 SHARES specials. flight is already F4 so not banking on the upgrade and not looking to roll the dice on getting an old config plane.
The SHARES specials are incredibly flexible. I would check online to see if you can make a flight change which should not incurr a change fee. If that doesn't work I would then check-in at T-24 and look at SDC options. Finally I would just call and change to different co-terminals as there will be no charge for this. Plus any SDC tinkering changes the booking class in your favor. These babies are the gift that keeps on giving.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 7:17 pm

Programs: MP,MR Silver,Avis
Originally Posted by exerda
The "plan" is to provide streaming, on-demand IFE which you'd watch over your own device (tablet or laptop). They're not putting in seat-back IFE, AVOD or otherwise. And, at least so far, they're not putting in power outlets with the awful Recaro seats, meaning that yes, there will be streaming IVE available, but good luck on a long flight!
Hopefully they'll actually make these milestones:

https://hub.united.com/en-us/news/pr...t-options.aspx

We’re bringing you innovative inflight entertainment options to help make your trip fly by. By 2015, we plan to provide Wi-Fi connectivity on all mainline aircraft – more than 600, total – plus one other flyer-friendly entertainment option, including DIRECTV®, personal on-demand entertainment or wireless entertainment. ... with wireless entertainment we'll offer an extensive catalog of more than 300 movies and TV shows, such as the award-winning “House of Cards,” available on your personal devices, including laptops, smartphones and tablets.

By the end of 2015, all domestic aircraft will feature Wi-Fi plus either DIRECTV or wireless entertainment. International and p.s.® Premium Service aircraft will offer Wi-Fi plus personal on-demand entertainment.

To further support inflight Wi-FI and entertainment options, we’ll begin adding power outlets to Airbus A319, A320, Boeing 747 and domestic Boeing 777 aircraft in 2014.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 11:52 pm

Programs: King of Rental Cars, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, AA MM Gold, A3 Gold, SK Gold, Hotel SuperElite
When they overhauled the 747s, overhead video went from CRT to LCD. I'm certainly feeling happy that I switched all my flying to AA and WN next year.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 9:39 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by aluminumdriver
Delta also has a majority of aircraft without any entertainment right now. All their MD-88's, MD-90's, DC-9's and 717's have nothing on them. Their 757's seem to have mostly the old overhead screens. Not defending our product at all, but Delta has older aircraft than we do.

AD
That's false. I doubt the aircraft you've listed make up 51% or more of their fleet and also based on anecdotal evidence, I think more 757s than not have PTVs now. Also, as DL has wifi on their mainline fleet including the M88, M90 etc. that helps make up for the lack of IFE.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 10:52 am

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Originally Posted by CMK10
That's false. I doubt the aircraft you've listed make up 51% or more of their fleet and also based on anecdotal evidence, I think more 757s than not have PTVs now. Also, as DL has wifi on their mainline fleet including the M88, M90 etc. that helps make up for the lack of IFE.
Based on this wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delta_Air_Lines_fleet
48.8% of DL's fleet is MD-XX or 717 or 757 variants.
with the 82 717s pending delivery, that percentage will exceed 51%.

I believe AD flies DL a lot for commuting to work purposes and take his/her statements as credible.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 5:46 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SFO 1K
Based on this wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delta_Air_Lines_fleet
48.8% of DL's fleet is MD-XX or 717 or 757 variants.
with the 82 717s pending delivery, that percentage will exceed 51%.

I believe AD flies DL a lot for commuting to work purposes and take his/her statements as credible.
Well in that case I stand corrected and I proffer my apologies.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 7:19 pm

Just took my first flight from SFO to IAD on one of these newly renovated aircraft. Aisle seat coach, not economy plus (thanks to Silver no longer able to book a plus more than 24 hours in advance - but that is another rant). Worse flight in years. Everyone around me complained about how far United has fallen. Seats are uncomfortable. Seems like non breathable vinyl - not comfy for 6 hours. Could not even open a small laptop as the seats are so close to each other. I guess this aircraft is not for business travelers. Zero entertainment available. We have heard about streaming, yet here we are at the end of 2013 with nothing. WIfi was mediocre but worked. Jeff Smisek likes to talk about the investments and improvements in service, but clearly he has never flown in this aircraft or seats. I flew a PS 757 to SFO (via JFK) - great aircraft and service. If United continues this route, there are plenty of other airlines doing much better on the same routes (Virgin, American's new A321 trasncon). Other airlines upgrading interiors and adding better technology, United outfitting theirs like a low cost European airline. Very sad.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that just prior to the flight they announced there would be no audio/video (contrary to the flight status information or flat screes at the boarding gate). United sent a "Customer Appreciation" email for a "token" apology for the lack of entertainment (they should have sent another for the torture new seats). Go the the email to get the token and they cannot match the name flight and confirmation. Just another message saying I have to call customer service to get the token. Ironic that we have to be further inconvenienced to get a token apology.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Nov 21, 2013 at 7:37 pm Reason: merge
Old Nov 22, 2013, 9:36 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
Flew a "lawn chair" A320 SFO-SNA tonight and it was torture. I will definitely avoid these birds and/or UA in the future. I'd rather fly on RJs or WN's Devolve.
Old Nov 23, 2013, 4:28 am

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by FlytheTail
No IFE and now no channel 9. Just flew on an A320 and was very disappointed. And, the wifi was incredibly slow, like the dial up days 15 years ago.
Just flew on an A320 just like that. The seats didn't bother me (but it was a short flight: ORD-DCA), but the wireless was very, very slow. Dial-up speeds were not an exaggeration - even with only three users (counted via arp).

There is no way that they are going to be streaming video this way.
Old Nov 25, 2013, 5:43 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by Miles Ahead
There is no way that they are going to be streaming video this way.
The content for the streaming will be on board.
Old Nov 25, 2013, 7:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by oliver2002
The content for the streaming will be on board.
Yes, but will the network on board be robust enough to handle the load?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.