Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Update on our Airbus Reconfigurations (Seats, Entertainment, Channel 9, etc.)

View Poll Results: How do you feel about the new RECARO seats UA is installing?
I love them
1.83%
They are okay
9.57%
I am indifferent
6.31%
I don't really like them
20.98%
I hate them
48.07%
I've not tried them yet / no opinion
13.24%
Voters: 491. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jun 3, 2017, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Update on our Airbus Reconfigurations (Seats, Entertainment, Channel 9, etc.)

Old Oct 25, 2013, 1:47 pm
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
I rode in row 7 on my flight - bulkhead shouldn't have any less depth seatwise than other non-exit row seats, yet it felt WAY short to me.

I think it's just a function of (poor) seat design.
Too bad. Glad I bought one of these (per suggestion in this forum):

http://www.tempurpedic.com/cushions/...eatcushion.asp
Old Oct 30, 2013, 12:08 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Just flew the reconfigured A320 from ORD to SFO. Window E+ seat (10A) somewhat OK aside from narrow armrests (I wouldn't want to be in a middle seat). Seatback pocket restricted as others have pointed out, and less vertical space under the seat in front. I was shocked there was no audio, and no mention in Hemispheres magazine that I could see. FA was clueless about what was going on.

I take it from prior comments that there is no 110V plug yet? When that is introduced, where will it be located, and will each seat have one?

Summary: The removal of communal video and Jeff's silly commercial is no loss. The removal of Channel 9 audio is a downer. And I won't be using my own device to access wi-fi, video or audio that carries an upcharge.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 12:31 pm

Programs: UA GS, 1MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Due to a plane swap, I just had my second agonizing experience on this Hell-Plane.

I wish i had packed a tape measure, to confirm my observations.

I was in 21A, which may be worse than all the other E+ seats besides 21F.

The height of the seat bottom from the floor is lower than the normal Airbii, and a consequence of this is that your thighs are not parallel to the floor, instead, they angle up, and this is quite uncomfortable.

Second, the level of the tray table and most importantly the arm rests are too low to comfortably settle into the seat.

Why they are 'selling' the 'more headroom' angle, when there are very few 9 foot tall folks flying,a nd needing the extra space i dont know...

Old Nov 3, 2013, 11:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I'm currently on my first Airbus since they've started gutting them. This aircraft (#4286) is an old Ted bird with Wi-Fi ^ no other IFE and instead of the gray Recaro Y seats, it looks like they are old seats with blue leather seat covers instead of the cloth covers. is this just an interim step?
Old Nov 3, 2013, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by halls120
I'm currently on my first Airbus since they've started gutting them. This aircraft (#4286) is an old Ted bird with Wi-Fi ^ no other IFE and instead of the gray Recaro Y seats, it looks like they are old seats with blue leather seat covers instead of the cloth covers. is this just an interim step?
Bizarre - take a pic for us if you can.
Old Nov 3, 2013, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by halls120
There's one like that flying around. I've been on it a few times. They were trailing leather back in the pmUA era. Very nice plane.
Old Nov 3, 2013, 1:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by tuolumne
There's one like that flying around. I've been on it a few times. They were trailing leather back in the pmUA era. Very nice plane.
I'm not sure the people without tablets or laptops they can use to access the Internet would agree with you.
Old Nov 3, 2013, 2:10 pm

Programs: MP,MR Silver,Avis
Originally Posted by fivevsone
The height of the seat bottom from the floor is lower than the normal Airbii, and a consequence of this is that your thighs are not parallel to the floor, instead, they angle up, and this is quite uncomfortable.
The height is actually perfect for me. I do have a short inseam (pants with a 29" inseam, which is the shortest they go, need to be turned up for me), and I find that "normal" height seats are too high. When I have a laptop on my lap, the keyboard tips away from me. With these seats, it's perfectly flat.

Second, the level of the tray table and most importantly the arm rests are too low to comfortably settle into the seat.
I had an open seat next to me, so I didn't use my own tray table, but the arm rests were fine too. I guess you can't fit everyone.

I will say that the seat bottom padding was definitely not enough for SFO-BOS.
Old Nov 3, 2013, 3:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K 24 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
It got WiFi - it didn't get the new seats yet.
Each thing happens on its own timeline.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 6:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL SM/MM, AA Gold, HH Dia, PC Plat, ALL Gold, MR Gold
No IFE and now no channel 9. Just flew on an A320 and was very disappointed. And, the wifi was incredibly slow, like the dial up days 15 years ago.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 7:38 pm

Programs: UA peon (+decades 1K), AA Exec Plt
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The lack of non-wifi entertainment (and what appears to be a path to no free AV) is a downer. (as is the loss of CH9) Believe or not a significant portion of the traveling public does not have wi-fi AV device.

110VAC, new bins, wifi (for internet access) ^^

new seats -- need to wait and see
That significant portion of the traveling public, will most likely not be complaining on 'channels' which the powers that be deem significant any longer.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 7:04 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by RockinRon
I flew one of these last night SFO-CLE and totally agree it was miserable. I too sat in the exit row and the seat was BRUTAL. I usually sleep like a rock, especially on red eyes, but not today. My butt still aches and I got off the plane almost 6 hours ago. Valuable lesson learned - avoid these planes as much as I do RJ 135 and 145s. I can only hope I get a survey for this segment.

Totally unrelated to the seats, but the aircraft was so hot I and the people around me were sweating. We asked the FAs to turn down the heat but it didn't seem to help much. Coupled with aggressive, noisy FAs, this is one of the worst flights with UA I've ever been on.
I flew 19 hours this weekend on a 777 (804 SIN-NRT-IAD) in seat 24H and was not as sore as I was from the 4 hour flight on these hell birds. Not to be overly dramatic but I thought of that a few times while I was flying. Looking at future reservations I see I need change some reward travel away from these planes.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by RockinRon
I flew 19 hours this weekend on a 777 (804 SIN-NRT-IAD) in seat 24H and was not as sore as I was from the 4 hour flight on these hell birds. Not to be overly dramatic but I thought of that a few times while I was flying. Looking at future reservations I see I need change some reward travel away from these planes.
Based on the poll, among 80 flyers who have experienced them, 90% agree with you

(cue someone coming along and saying "FT isn't representative" or something like that)
Old Nov 11, 2013, 1:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Based on the poll, among 80 flyers who have experienced them, 90% agree with you

(cue someone coming along and saying "FT isn't representative" or something like that)
Well, I just added my vote along with the rest in hating this seat. Took my first flight with these seats last week IAD-LAX in an exit row and it was the most uncomfortable flight I can remember, simply terrible.

And for those that do start to cue the "FT isn't representative", the primary topic of discussion from everyone in the rows around me was about how uncomfortable the seats were; they couldn't all be on FT.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 6:09 pm

Programs: UA 1.55MM Lifetime Premier Gold, AA Exec. Plt., NW MM(875K on DL), MC Gold, HH Diamond, SPG, HY GP
I cannot believe that United was once proud of having Channel 9 and now is going toward nothing. This differentiated United from the other airlines.

These seats are so bad that if its not a Boeing (for mainline flights), I probably won't be going. I sat in one from EWR to BOS recently and would rather have sat in a UA* seat. I know that is saying a lot, but these seats were horribly uncomfortable. Also there was no more Channel 9, audio, or video on this plane. What enhancements!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.