Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Update on our Airbus Reconfigurations (Seats, Entertainment, Channel 9, etc.)

View Poll Results: How do you feel about the new RECARO seats UA is installing?
I love them
1.84%
They are okay
9.63%
I am indifferent
6.15%
I don't really like them
20.90%
I hate them
48.36%
I've not tried them yet / no opinion
13.11%
Voters: 488. You may not vote on this poll

Hide Wikipost
Old Jun 3, 17, 5:08 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old Oct 10, 13, 10:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
It looks like row 7 lost more than just an inch.
Old Oct 10, 13, 10:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K 22 years/2MM, HHonors Diamond, Shangri-La Jade, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
It looks like row 7 lost more than just an inch.
I disagree based on where the seatbacks are relative to the 2nd window. They are further back than they used to be.

If you haven't flown it - you really can't judge it.
Old Oct 11, 13, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW & UA forum moderator emeritus
I flew a 320 with the new seats the other day. I sat in row 7. I liked the seat. I liked the fact that the under-seat space beyond the bulkhead was not blocked. I also had much more leg room than I did two days later on my return when I was in rw 1 on the same aircraft type.
Old Oct 12, 13, 9:51 pm

Before FRA-SFO last week I had not used UNITED provided IFE in a very long time (save the moving map). I stopped listening to channel 9 a couple years ago. These changes will not affect me.

I have an iPad. I recognize that most people don't. UNITED is investing and preparing for the fleet they think makes sense for the next 5-10 years. This is going to cause disruption which will hurt UNITED in the short term. I'm not sure how the story will play out in the long-term. This is another of many examples of UNITED choosing the road less traveled and perhaps thinking they are the smartest guys in the room.

Personally I think it's a very myopic mindset (or groupthink) that believes only streaming is the best and prudent entertainment option, but I don't run an airline. UNITED (Jeff) has admitted that too much change too quickly and the results of was a lesson learned, yet I don't see it. Seems like as long as I am in F or row 7, life will go on. YMMV.
Old Oct 12, 13, 11:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, AA, DL, Marriott Silver

And over on the other side of the pond, a couple of weeks ago, I flew a couple of segments intra-Europe on the A321 - one on Iberia and the other LH. Now I can't say for sure both were the exact same seat model, or the exact one that UA is using (haven't been on a 320 with the new seats yet), but both were Recaro slimline seats. And I'm really not too particular about seats. But the IB seat had the comfort package, and the LH one was not. The IB flight (2 hours and a bit - LHR-MAD) was perfectly fine. The LH seat (~2 hours - LHR-MUC) you could feel the lack of padding when sitting down, and honestly, was uncomfortable and my back could feel a bit of pain before pushback. So potentially same seat with very different levels of comfort. I'm not that worried about the UA seat since they have the comfort package on.

As for the IFE, I won't say I haven't enjoyed a few episodes of Big Bang Theory or 30 Rock on the Airbii screens - but the two aircraft I was on in Europe had zero entertainment - no screens, no audio, nothing. It really wasn't an issue. UA at least has the streaming option coming - and even if it didn't, really not that big a deal to be away from a screen for 2-4 hours. In fact, in this day and age, might even be good for everyone to try it sometime.
Old Oct 14, 13, 9:44 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by emcampbe View Post
Now I can't say for sure both were the exact same seat model, or the exact one that UA is using (haven't been on a 320 with the new seats yet), but both were Recaro slimline seats.
IB doesn't use the latest/greatest BL3520 like LH/UA/AA/AS/LA/etc, but a previous version, where you don't sit on 'engineered' fabric, but a tray like support. LX and AB have these too.
Old Oct 14, 13, 9:50 am

I was on LX today from ZRH-AMS and the A320 had Recaro seats. It was only an hour flight, but it was uncomfortable already while I was seated and waited for the rest of the plane to board. This was a FC seat, but I think in Europe that's exactly the same seat as in the back. If that's our future with UA, then
don't board without some sort of padding for your derriere and back. Options are plenty on Amazon.com and some Pilot store websites.
Old Oct 14, 13, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, AA, DL, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by oliver2002 View Post
IB doesn't use the latest/greatest BL3520 like LH/UA/AA/AS/LA/etc, but a previous version, where you don't sit on 'engineered' fabric, but a tray like support. LX and AB have these too.
So is the newer seat that UA uses with the comfort package better than the seat IB uses with the comfort package?If so, I'm not worried at all. If it was the same seat without the comfort package that LH uses, then I would definitely feel differently.
Old Oct 14, 13, 3:18 pm

Programs: CX Marco Polo Green (hahaha)
Flew the new seats PDX - EWR on Friday night and didn't have a single complaint about them. In fact, I noticed that I had significant discomfort sitting in the old style seats from EWR - PDX on Saturday evening. FWIW, I didn't recline, nor did the person in front of me, so that may have impacted things. YMMV.
Old Oct 15, 13, 1:16 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by emcampbe View Post
So is the newer seat that UA uses with the comfort package better than the seat IB uses with the comfort package?If so, I'm not worried at all. If it was the same seat without the comfort package that LH uses, then I would definitely feel differently.
The BL3520 is based on the principle of a deck chair, where you sit in a engineered fabric. Since the bulk of the LH seats were installed in 2011 you can notice the sign sign of wear: if the critical component has loosened, you feel the structural components of the seat in your back. Recaro says they have learned their lessons and the fabric is now stronger and better. The extra padding to cover up the sensory 'experience' in case a heavy pax sits on the fabric or if it has loosened ahead of the next maintenance cycle.
Old Oct 16, 13, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by kevincrumbs View Post
Flew the new seats PDX - EWR on Friday night and didn't have a single complaint about them. In fact, I noticed that I had significant discomfort sitting in the old style seats from EWR - PDX on Saturday evening. FWIW, I didn't recline, nor did the person in front of me, so that may have impacted things. YMMV.
Agree- have flown then twice now and for me its a total upgrade.
Old Oct 16, 13, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sdemw View Post
Agree- have flown then twice now and for me its a total upgrade.
Feel free to vote in the poll - you can be the first "I love them!" response out of the ~50 to have flown them and have an opinion
Old Oct 16, 13, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by UA-NYC View Post
Feel free to vote in the poll - you can be the first "I love them!" response out of the ~50 to have flown them and have an opinion
I do wonder how many of those voters who hate/dislike the seats have actually flown on them.
Old Oct 16, 13, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by anc-ord772 View Post
I do wonder how many of those voters who hate/dislike the seats have actually flown on them.
Hopefully they are honest about it, as there is a "no opinion" option that already has a decent number of votes too
Old Oct 16, 13, 12:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HiltonHonors Diamond
Inflight Wireless entertainment clarifiction

Can anyone clarify for me how exactly this new wireless entertainment works, and what is supported. I have several flights coming up out of Honolulu on these new aircraft, 6 - 9 hours. I really want something to kill the time.

From the United Website

Apple® iOS 5+ Safari® 5+ HTML5

Apple OS X 10.0+ Safari 5+ HTML5
ChromeTM 21+
Firefox® 18+ Flash Player 10.3+

Windows® XP, Vista, 7 or 8
Internet Explorer® 9+
Chrome 21+
Firefox 18+ Flash

So while it says bring your full charged, smartphone, laptop or table ( there is no power yet) the following are not supported, as far as I can know.

Android phones,
nooks,
Kindles ? ( not sure I don't have one, can someone tell me)

And the confusing part is.. they said that devices must be in airplane mode. Doesn't airplane mode disable wifi?

Would like to know what I have to bring to watch a movie on my next flight, laptop really isn't an option, have any of you tried to open your laptop if the person in front of you reclines... Not happening.

I never thought I would see the day where I might miss the overhead monitors.

Thanks

Search this Thread
Search Engine: