Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Update on our Airbus Reconfigurations (Seats, Entertainment, Channel 9, etc.)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: How do you feel about the new RECARO seats UA is installing?
I love them
1.83%
They are okay
9.57%
I am indifferent
6.31%
I don't really like them
20.98%
I hate them
48.07%
I've not tried them yet / no opinion
13.24%
Voters: 491. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jun 3, 2017, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Update on our Airbus Reconfigurations (Seats, Entertainment, Channel 9, etc.)

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2013, 8:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Sulley
Looks like I was wrong about the LCD's staying.

The WiFi is nice though -- and I have an iPad/iPhone, so I don't care about the "free in-flight movie."

Hmm, live safety demonstrations on the other hand...
not everyone carries one on every flight. Having option is always better.

WiFi and streaming could have been added without removing the free audio and movie. They are doing this on the 747 for example (though very slowly on the wifi and nil to date on streaming)

I like the live demos especially on widebody Int'l flights. You know who can't make a cameo which is another plus.
Old May 9, 2013, 8:35 pm

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
Originally Posted by CO_Nonrev_elite
Can't you just put the 319 in, change the bin, add the wifi, add the streaming, change the seat, and then bring it back out. Then that plane is 100% done. Doing it over 6 trips over several years obviously takes longer, obviously costs more, and annoys everyone.

To Continental's credit, once they decided to internationalize the 757 fleet, and flat bed the 764 and 777 fleet, they motored through it, and completed them. I've not seen this from the UA side of things yet
Old May 9, 2013, 8:41 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Ok is it me or is the wrong aircraft getting new seats? The 737's should get new seats. Leave the Airbii alone!! Nothing is wrong with them. An example, just flew ord-lga-ord. ORd-LGA, 737-800 bulkhead, my ... hurt the entire day and the person in the center seat was on top of me, A320 Aisle E-, felt more spacious and seat was soo much more comfortable. Why are we always fixing old UA stuff and not fixing old CO stuff? I really don't get it. I love channel 9, I dont want to ser it leave

Again, UA, not everything UA was bad, change those awful 737 seats and change the color as the cabin on those 737's look like they are from the 80's while those "old" airbus, feel so fresh.
Old May 9, 2013, 8:45 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by LASUA1K
..... Leave the Airbii alone!! Nothing is wrong with them. ....
It was suggested in earlier threads the Airbii have a low contribution margin / profit margin compared to the other narrow bodies. Hence the need to enhance the revenues / contribution margin. Improving this is far more important to UA.
Old May 9, 2013, 8:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by npei
A few reconfig A319 /320 already were flown as early as last week April, before announcement by UA Insider on May 9
Really? And they changed the interior lighting?
Old May 9, 2013, 8:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Can't you just put the 319 in, change the bin, add the wifi, add the streaming, change the seat, and then bring it back out. Then that plane is 100% done. Doing it over 6 trips over several years obviously takes longer, obviously costs more, and annoys everyone.

To Continental's credit, once they decided to internationalize the 757 fleet, and flat bed the 764 and 777 fleet, they motored through it, and completed them. I've not seen this from the UA side of things yet
Since 10/1/2010 they are the same, run by CO's CEO. Where is that "motoring" on the 747 power and streaming updates?

So far they have only been motorboating on that.
Old May 9, 2013, 8:59 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
I'm trying my best to keep my business at UA, but out of IAD, it seems to be nothing but 737s, and I find them to be so uncomfortable to fly, I've made connecting flights in ORD instead of flying non-stop.

The main thing with this new seats is, what is the overall seat pitch, and what is the width? It sounds like BS on the knee-room claims, so I'll assume that noses will be closer to the back of the head of the person in front of you then there is now, even in E+. But, are they narrowing the seats in any way?

I agree with the posts, the Airbuses are generally pretty comfortable to fly. I don't watch the video, but I like to listen to channel 9 while reading. What I especially like is that I'm not sitting next to someone who leaves their little personal video on all flight, replaying the same lame ads and "free content" for X hours.

A real step up would be to put the reconfigured 777 seats and A/V system on the Airbus units.
Old May 9, 2013, 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by mgcsinc
He's talking about wifi only equipped aircraft and ones that have had the larger OHB installed. The first aircraft with new seats, extra row, minus the LCD screens goes into service next week.
Old May 9, 2013, 9:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
He's talking about wifi only equipped aircraft and ones that have had the larger OHB installed. The first aircraft with new seats, extra row, minus the LCD screens goes into service next week.
He seemed to think he was talking about something more
Old May 9, 2013, 9:08 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime GS 4mm
I flew on 4/23 sjc-iah the new reconfig A320 apparently just finished minus the Wifi-streaming video (was not ready for installation -- so I relied on my iPad).
The inside cabin look and felt spanking new, with deeper overhead bins and soft blue hue cabin lighting (vs white fluorescent).
I was upgraded and the seats felt very comfortable with firm cushion back and tush support. Cannot comment on coach class seating (knee) comfort.
A320 but my ual account history shows A321
- strike that, it was actually flight 321 on reconfig A320
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
Yes I was referring specifically to the reconfig A319 /320.
But like I said, I flew on 4/23 sjc-iah the new reconfig A320 (a few reconfig aircraft actually started flying limited routes apparently last week April before the general announcement by UA Insider May 9). My reconfig flight A320 plane was spanking new just finished, minus the Wifi-streaming video (was not ready)

Last edited by npei; May 9, 2013 at 9:17 pm
Old May 9, 2013, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ok is it me or is the wrong aircraft getting new seats? The 737's should get new seats. Leave the Airbii alone!! Nothing is wrong with them. An example, just flew ord-lga-ord. ORd-LGA, 737-800 bulkhead, my ... hurt the entire day and the person in the center seat was on top of me, A320 Aisle E-, felt more spacious and seat was soo much more comfortable. Why are we always fixing old UA stuff and not fixing old CO stuff? I really don't get it. I love channel 9, I dont want to ser it leave

Again, UA, not everything UA was bad, change those awful 737 seats and change the color as the cabin on those 737's look like they are from the 80's while those "old" airbus, feel so fresh.
But then they would lose out on the added row of seats revenue. This is not about our comfort, it is all about generating revenue, why give something away for free when they can make a change and charge for it. Why leave something that is comfortable when the can add a row of seats and generate more revenue. In the famous words of Michael Douglas in the movie Wall Street (can't remember the characters name) "Greed is Good" COdbaUS is all about revenue, thy could care less about passengers. If they could figure out a way to generate revenue without passenger they would be the happiest company on earth. But they need passengers to generate that revenue and until they figure out how to make us happy and generate revenue they will continue to lose money and chase passengers away. Being the only major to lose money in the first quarter I am surprised the stockholder are not saying anything. But they won't until the stock price starts to decline which I feel is not too far away. Ok, rant off.
Old May 9, 2013, 9:16 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
But like I said, I flew on 4/23 sjc-iah the new reconfig A321 (a few reconfig aircraft actually started flying limited routes apparently last week April before the general announcement by UA Insider May 9). My reconfig flight A320 plane (shown as A321 on my account activity history) was spanking new just finished minus the Wifi-streaming video (was not ready)
Are you sure you didn't fly US Air? They have some new 321's which are very comfortable inside. UA has no 321's.
Old May 9, 2013, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bkafrick
Sounds like United is getting more like US...

We dont have power anywhere.
We dont have IFE (they ripped that out to save weight)
We do have WIFI.

Its really not that bad. Everyone has devices that will last the duration of a transcon these days. If not, I dont know what kind of laptops youre buying.

At least our seats are super comfortable.
Not sure "everybody" does but a large segment that cares about IFE will have one. Those that don't still carry their books.

Remember - these planes will be around for a good part of this decade. We should be thinking "what will people be doing wrt IFE in five years". Technology certainly will be much more entrenched in the flying public then.
Old May 9, 2013, 9:20 pm

But like I said, I flew on 4/23 sjc-iah the new reconfig A320 (a few reconfig aircraft actually started flying limited routes apparently last week April before the general announcement by UA Insider May 9). My reconfig flight A320 plane was spanking new just finished, minus the Wifi-streaming video (was not ready)
But did it have the new seats? That's how you can tell. However I know of only one that has gone in so far to receive the new seats believe that is Tail #4668 and that isn't due to return to service until next week.
Old May 9, 2013, 9:21 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime GS 4mm
Are you sure you didn't fly US Air? They have some new 321's which are very comfortable inside. UA has no 321's.
- strike that, it was actually UA flight 1658 operated by UA metal on reconfig A320 (it was equip swap for originally scheduled 737-900)

Last edited by npei; May 9, 2013 at 9:48 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.