Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Update on our Airbus Reconfigurations (Seats, Entertainment, Channel 9, etc.)

View Poll Results: How do you feel about the new RECARO seats UA is installing?
I love them
1.84%
They are okay
9.63%
I am indifferent
6.15%
I don't really like them
20.90%
I hate them
48.36%
I've not tried them yet / no opinion
13.11%
Voters: 488. You may not vote on this poll

Update on our Airbus Reconfigurations (Seats, Entertainment, Channel 9, etc.)

    Hide Wikipost
Old Jun 3, 17, 5:08 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Print Wikipost

Old Sep 8, 13, 5:11 pm
  #661  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: LGA/JFK/EWR
Programs: UA 1K1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Posts: 20,292
UA botched these seats

About to fly ORD-LGA in them. Thank god a short flight - these are overly firm, and as noted up thread, the seat cushion is just way too short. I can foresee people getting neck strain too as the back is pushed too far out compared to the headrest.

RIP the nice Airbus Y seat comfort.

EDIT: after spending a body numbing 100 minutes in those seats, I can safely say it's the single worst Y seat I've ever sat in. Everything ergonomically about it is wrong - an hour after landing, my back is still sore. It's tough to believe they were ever tested on actual human beings...maybe they weren't, could have been just crash test dummies.

I asked the FA, "so you're going to have to do manual announcements on these planes going forward?" He said yes, and all the FAs hated it - and couldn't believe UA was ripping out all the free entertainment too. Wifi was broken as well.

A major thumbs down all around.

Last edited by UA-NYC; Sep 8, 13 at 8:38 pm Reason: Flight post-mortem
UA-NYC is offline  
Old Sep 8, 13, 8:43 pm
  #662  
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Posts: 6,355
I caught a new fitted out A320 from ORD-YVR last week. It was a 4 hour flight, and I was in 20D (exit aisle).

My overall impression is that the seats are just a small step down from the old Airbus seats - particularly in their well-worn state.

It's part of the same overall pattern at United, things just get a little bit worse each year - upgrade %, F/J food, channel 9 availability, Mileage Plus rules, 1K perks, etc....
transportprof is offline  
Old Sep 8, 13, 9:17 pm
  #663  
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Our Nation's Capital
Programs: UA 1K, Marriott BonVoy LT Titanium Elite, National Executive Elite
Posts: 832
Originally Posted by UA-NYC View Post
About to fly ORD-LGA in them. Thank god a short flight - these are overly firm, and as noted up thread, the seat cushion is just way too short. I can foresee people getting neck strain too as the back is pushed too far out compared to the headrest.

RIP the nice Airbus Y seat comfort.

EDIT: after spending a body numbing 100 minutes in those seats, I can safely say it's the single worst Y seat I've ever sat in. Everything ergonomically about it is wrong - an hour after landing, my back is still sore. It's tough to believe they were ever tested on actual human beings...maybe they weren't, could have been just crash test dummies.

I asked the FA, "so you're going to have to do manual announcements on these planes going forward?" He said yes, and all the FAs hated it - and couldn't believe UA was ripping out all the free entertainment too. Wifi was broken as well.

A major thumbs down all around.
But AA is installing these seats and AA is perfect, right?!
Sulley is offline  
Old Sep 8, 13, 9:27 pm
  #664  
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Posts: 6,525
Originally Posted by UA-NYC View Post
About to fly ORD-LGA in them. Thank god a short flight - these are overly firm, and as noted up thread, the seat cushion is just way too short. I can foresee people getting neck strain too as the back is pushed too far out compared to the headrest.

RIP the nice Airbus Y seat comfort.

EDIT: after spending a body numbing 100 minutes in those seats, I can safely say it's the single worst Y seat I've ever sat in. Everything ergonomically about it is wrong - an hour after landing, my back is still sore. It's tough to believe they were ever tested on actual human beings...maybe they weren't, could have been just crash test dummies.

I asked the FA, "so you're going to have to do manual announcements on these planes going forward?" He said yes, and all the FAs hated it - and couldn't believe UA was ripping out all the free entertainment too. Wifi was broken as well.

A major thumbs down all around.
Sorry to hear this from someone with credibility. I've been avoiding UA enough that I've not hit one of these yet. It appears that they are ok if you are SHORT and not too heavy, but if you are tall they are awful with the short seat bottom.

At SFO though we are loosing most of the Airbus and getting the CO 7-narrow-7s with those great 17" hard as a rock Koito seats. Dammed if you do, dammed if you don't. Oh well, next year I will avoid UA even more...
spin88 is offline  
Old Sep 8, 13, 9:39 pm
  #665  
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: EWR, BDL
Posts: 4,469
Originally Posted by UA-NYC View Post
About to fly ORD-LGA in them. Thank god a short flight - these are overly firm, and as noted up thread, the seat cushion is just way too short. I can foresee people getting neck strain too as the back is pushed too far out compared to the headrest.

RIP the nice Airbus Y seat comfort.

EDIT: after spending a body numbing 100 minutes in those seats, I can safely say it's the single worst Y seat I've ever sat in. Everything ergonomically about it is wrong - an hour after landing, my back is still sore. It's tough to believe they were ever tested on actual human beings...maybe they weren't, could have been just crash test dummies.

I asked the FA, "so you're going to have to do manual announcements on these planes going forward?" He said yes, and all the FAs hated it - and couldn't believe UA was ripping out all the free entertainment too. Wifi was broken as well.

A major thumbs down all around.
Somehow I find that "All FAs hated it" part hard to believe. If he's speaking of the FAs that were actually on the flight that's one thing, If he's speaking for all FAs then that's something totally different. Example sometimes I work an out of base trip that sometimes has the 739ER and no IFE no nothing and I have to do a manual demo and I don't mind at all.
JOSECONLSCREW28 is offline  
Old Sep 9, 13, 4:47 am
  #666  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: LGA/JFK/EWR
Programs: UA 1K1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Posts: 20,292
Originally Posted by Sulley View Post
But AA is installing these seats and AA is perfect, right?!
Hey, maybe they'll elect for a higher level of the comfort package for all we know. Have you sat in them for any extended period of time? They stink.

Another fun note - the headrest looks nice and wide, right? It's an illusion - the "hard" part on the inside stops 3" short of the end of each "wing". They just flop over.

Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28 View Post
Somehow I find that "All FAs hated it" part hard to believe. If he's speaking of the FAs that were actually on the flight that's one thing, If he's speaking for all FAs then that's something totally different. Example sometimes I work an out of base trip that sometimes has the 739ER and no IFE no nothing and I have to do a manual demo and I don't mind at all.
I would think, in most professions, if you had an aspect of your job that was automated (to your benefit), and now you have to regress to ~20 years prior where it was manual, you might be annoyed too.
UA-NYC is offline  
Old Sep 9, 13, 6:24 am
  #667  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: wandering expat
Posts: 44,264
Originally Posted by Sulley View Post
But AA is installing these seats and AA is perfect, right?!
If they are installing the same seats, then they suck as well.
halls120 is online now  
Old Sep 9, 13, 6:27 am
  #668  
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 5,797
Originally Posted by halls120 View Post
If they are installing the same seats, then they suck as well.
I think the IFE version has more padding though.
edcho is offline  
Old Sep 9, 13, 7:07 am
  #669  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: PHX/SFO
Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Posts: 45,834
Originally Posted by UA-NYC View Post

I would think, in most professions, if you had an aspect of your job that was automated (to your benefit), and now you have to regress to ~20 years prior where it was manual, you might be annoyed too.
I always thought there were FAs who enjoyed making the announcement and probably thought it demeaning to be replaced by a lame video. Many people don't like having their job duties dumbed-down. So my suspicion is there's a mix of opinions on this subject.
Kacee is offline  
Old Sep 9, 13, 7:47 am
  #670  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: LGA/JFK/EWR
Programs: UA 1K1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Posts: 20,292
Originally Posted by edcho View Post
I think the IFE version has more padding though.
If that's the case, then maybe they won't be so bad on AA.

Trust me, I'm sure there are many that are skeptical how bad they are...still a seat, right? Be sure to report back after you ride in them.
UA-NYC is offline  
Old Sep 9, 13, 7:50 am
  #671  
dw
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: NYC/LA
Programs: AA Plat Pro, IHG Spire Amb/Kimpton IC
Posts: 4,720
Originally Posted by Sulley View Post
But AA is installing these seats and AA is perfect, right?!
I was also under the impression that AA is installing these seats on their new A319s, but if you actually take a look at pictures of the new cabin, they don't actually LOOK as uncomfortable (seem to have a bit more padding). But at the same time, I haven't heard any feedback either way yet on the new AA seats.

http://boardingarea.com/aadvantagege...airlines-a319/
dw is online now  
Old Sep 9, 13, 8:12 am
  #672  
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 3,154
Originally Posted by dw View Post
I was also under the impression that AA is installing these seats on their new A319s, but if you actually take a look at pictures of the new cabin, they don't actually LOOK as uncomfortable (seem to have a bit more padding). But at the same time, I haven't heard any feedback either way yet on the new AA seats.

http://boardingarea.com/aadvantagege...airlines-a319/
I believe the seats are exactly the same, with the exception of seat cover and inclusion of IFE.
fly18725 is offline  
Old Sep 9, 13, 8:41 am
  #673  
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 422
Just caught the seats ORD to DC, absolutely brutal
ilovesprint is offline  
Old Sep 9, 13, 8:49 am
  #674  
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: LAX
Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Posts: 2,777
Row 7 used to be my favorite for my red-eye transcon but the LAX-ORD red-eye on row 7 with one of these new seats was killing me! What is wrong with the new UA and what was wrong with the old seats!?
lax2010 is offline  
Old Sep 9, 13, 8:59 am
  #675  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: wandering expat
Posts: 44,264
Originally Posted by lax2010 View Post
Row 7 used to be my favorite for my red-eye transcon but the LAX-ORD red-eye on row 7 with one of these new seats was killing me! What is wrong with the new UA and what was wrong with the old seats!?
Nothing was "wrong" with the old seats. UA wanted to add seats to the 319 and 320, so the only thing they could do is add thinner, less comfortable seats.
halls120 is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: