Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Update on our Airbus Reconfigurations (Seats, Entertainment, Channel 9, etc.)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: How do you feel about the new RECARO seats UA is installing?
I love them
1.83%
They are okay
9.57%
I am indifferent
6.31%
I don't really like them
20.98%
I hate them
48.07%
I've not tried them yet / no opinion
13.24%
Voters: 491. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jun 3, 2017, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Update on our Airbus Reconfigurations (Seats, Entertainment, Channel 9, etc.)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2013, 3:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by belynch

Are you insinuating that seat back pocket storage space should take a dominant place in the decision making process over performance economics, comfort, and overall functionality?
How would making the seat back pocket space a little wider and deeper impose a negative impact on performance economics, comfort and functionality?

Let's be honest - it was likely cheaper to opt for a small storage space.

Last edited by halls120; Jul 30, 2013 at 2:09 pm
Old Jul 30, 2013, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by UnitedFlyGuy
I was. New seats, no drop down monitors, etc. I honestly didn't notice a difference. Granted it was a 2 hour flight and not a longer one.

I was just sharing my data point.

Sorry! Just saw this post. I was in E+. Row 12. I didn't open a laptop.

It was a 2 hour flight. Definitely not a long transcon. If it was, my results might have been different. Just offering a data point.
I just noticed on the UA tracking website that not one single A319 or A320 is showing that it is "dark"...all are listed as having drop down monitors still (many with wifi already installed).
Old Jul 30, 2013, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
I just noticed on the UA tracking website that not one single A319 or A320 is showing that it is "dark"...all are listed as having drop down monitors still (many with wifi already installed).
The A320 I was on yesterday with the new seats had no drop down monitors but the WiFi was working. No power outlets though.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 11:54 am

Programs: UA 1K
Wifi has been happening independently and is reasonably widespread, notwithstanding all of the "well, the new seats suck, but at least we get wifi" apologetics. New seats and death of IFE seem to happen at the same time. That column on the fleet site might just not be getting updated.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
Wifi has been happening independently and is reasonably widespread, notwithstanding all of the "well, the new seats suck, but at least we get wifi" apologetics. New seats and death of IFE seem to happen at the same time. That column on the fleet site might just not be getting updated.
Yep. ^

My first flight on the plane with new seats was completely dark. It had the WiFi hump and sticker but it wasn't active.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Hartmann
Yep. ^

My first flight on the plane with new seats was completely dark. It had the WiFi hump and sticker but it wasn't active.
Great I always risk being on a dark (non-Direct TV) flight when flying the 737-900s....now I get to play this game with the A319s/320s....I think it's UA's way of making us miss the old 757 CRT monitors when the 757s go away
Old Aug 3, 2013, 1:45 pm

United airlines A#320

does anyone know if united plans to put Direct TV on the Airbus A 320 anytime soon
Old Aug 3, 2013, 1:50 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by D98lakefan
does anyone know if united plans to put Direct TV on the Airbus A 320 anytime soon
Somebody does.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 1:52 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
definitely no, in fact the plan is to remove existing IFE -- replace with streaming wifi (entertainment options not yet defined)

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...nel-9-etc.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...320-fleet.html
Old Aug 3, 2013, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Lol...I wish It's going the other direction unfortunately....just pretend it's a US Airways flight and you won't notice anything different
Old Aug 6, 2013, 11:38 am

The biggest issue I see with this wifi/streaming movement is that F paxs still have to pay. You can argue DTV vs. free IFE in PMUA aircraft until you are blue in the face but at least DTV is free in F. You get on one of these 320/319s or even a 744 for that matter and eventhough you are in F, UA still wants you to dish out a rather high amount for a few hours of connectivity....thanks but no thanks
Old Aug 6, 2013, 11:56 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by nova08
The biggest issue I see with this wifi/streaming movement is that F paxs still have to pay.
Holy cow. You're paying $800+ to fly across the country and you're carrying a $600 device on which you can preload whatever you want to watch, and you're complaining that you might have to pay a few bucks to give yourself even more viewing choices? Seriously?
Old Aug 6, 2013, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by DaviddesJ
Holy cow. You're paying $800+ to fly across the country and you're carrying a $600 device on which you can preload whatever you want to watch, and you're complaining that you might have to pay a few bucks to give yourself even more viewing choices? Seriously?

What if they started charging F pax $5 for a jack and coke? Or $2 for a coke? Or $25 for a meal? Or $10 for priority boarding?

One of the points of F is that they're not going to nickel and dime you -- precisely because they're charging you $800.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 12:50 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mgcsinc
What if they started charging F pax $5 for a jack and coke? Or $2 for a coke? Or $25 for a meal? Or $10 for priority boarding?
I'd like most of that. If they charged $25 for a meal it would probably be a good one. Selling stuff at market prices is a good way to ensure quality. I'd much rather have a good $25 meal than a mediocre free one.

The only way it would be annoying is the actual overhead of the transactions. But if they can make it seamless, great.

My guess is that if there's a charge for streaming entertainment online they will probably somehow provide a free code for F passengers. But if instead they provide an easy way to pay for it with no hassle, that would be fine too. It's just silly to pay $800 and then complain about paying another $5. You've already demonstrated the money isn't significant to you.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 2:04 pm

I'd like most of that. If they charged $25 for a meal it would probably be a good one. Selling stuff at market prices is a good way to ensure quality. I'd much rather have a good $25 meal than a mediocre free one.

The only way it would be annoying is the actual overhead of the transactions. But if they can make it seamless, great.

My guess is that if there's a charge for streaming entertainment online they will probably somehow provide a free code for F passengers. But if instead they provide an easy way to pay for it with no hassle, that would be fine too. It's just silly to pay $800 and then complain about paying another $5.
I respectfully submit that almost no one agrees with you on this one.

You've already demonstrated the money isn't significant to you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.