Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Update on our Airbus Reconfigurations (Seats, Entertainment, Channel 9, etc.)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: How do you feel about the new RECARO seats UA is installing?
I love them
1.83%
They are okay
9.57%
I am indifferent
6.31%
I don't really like them
20.98%
I hate them
48.07%
I've not tried them yet / no opinion
13.24%
Voters: 491. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jun 3, 2017, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Update on our Airbus Reconfigurations (Seats, Entertainment, Channel 9, etc.)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2013, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by ljwobker
As if... When was the last time you tried to pay F prices for an F seat and weren't able to get one?
What?

Are you trying to say it is not my birthright to sit in an F seat with a CPU that cleared at my window?

Perish the thought...

Originally Posted by Always Flyin
More often than you think.

Most of my travel is international. I usually am responding to sudden issues when I buy first, which is usually within two days of departure. I usually have a heck of a time finding an F seat.

Even when I have more time, it is a problem. I am flying LHR to LAX in about two weeks. I'm sure not going to give sucky UA my money any more. I tried to book F on the AA flight (it's the new 777-300ER). Already full.

So I am now booked on BA, which is UA with an accent and even more attitude.
It sounds like you are arguing against giving miles / Buy Up / Instrument upgrades too early - by doing so they have effectively prevented you from buying an F seat.

Holding some seats for flyers like you clearly makes good business sense.

Or are you just saying UA is 'sucky'?
Old Jun 9, 2013, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
IMHO (And i'll probably get flamed for this) I would much rather prefer to experience the new seats for myself rather then go by what someone else experienced. Let's not forget we all have different body types etc. What may work for one person, may not exactly work out for another and so on.
Sure and what I offered was an opinion. I didn't realize we needed a quorum for whether someone thought something was good or bad around here. I guess I could add my body stats:

5'10" - 170 lbs. - Average build.

The point of my blog post and the post here was not to keep people from posting their experiences but simply to offer the opinion of a frequent flyer. I fly UA out of IAH and have been spending more time on Airbus aircraft this year than before (out of 75 domestic segments this year 68 have been on an Airbus). Up until this seat, I've actually enjoyed the Airbus fleet. Row 21 on them may have been some of the best coach seats anywhere. Now they've been reduced to pretty much standard rows with seat bottoms that are not long enough to be supportive.

I have also flown the Lufthansa seat and wanted to compare the difference between the comfort package and the base package that LH went with. Like I said in my post, there is more padding on the UA choice but certainly not what we had before. I understand the economical reason that UA is putting in these seats but that does not mean I necessarily have to like it.

The original UA Insider post about these seats said it would be an even trade as far as comfort and I simply disagree. People are free to disagree with me once they fly on a plane with these new seats.

One thing I did find odd was that the plane was completely dark; No power, no WiFi, etc. I thought we were going to at least have power when the plane went out but there were no outlets anywhere. I know that UA has a schedule to keep with installations and maintenance but from a customer standpoint they're pushing a product out that is not an improvement and every person who steps foot on that plane has their own mind to make up. This is an area that UA could significantly improve on, rather than putting the plane out there dark, make sure it has power or have a brochure on board describing the future WiFi streaming entertainment.
Old Jun 9, 2013, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by Hartmann
Sure and what I offered was an opinion. I didn't realize we needed a quorum for whether someone thought something was good or bad around here. I guess I could add my body stats:

The point of my blog post and the post here was not to keep people from posting their experiences but simply to offer the opinion of a frequent flyer. I fly UA out of IAH and have been spending more time on Airbus aircraft this year than before (out of 75 domestic segments this year 68 have been on an Airbus). Up until this seat, I've actually enjoyed the Airbus fleet. Row 21 on them may have been some of the best coach seats anywhere. Now they've been reduced to pretty much standard rows with seat bottoms that are not long enough to be supportive.

I have also flown the Lufthansa seat and wanted to compare the difference between the comfort package and the base package that LH went with. Like I said in my post, there is more padding on the UA choice but certainly not what we had before. I understand the economical reason that UA is putting in these seats but that does not mean I necessarily have to like it.

The original UA Insider post about these seats said it would be an even trade as far as comfort and I simply disagree. People are free to disagree with me once they fly on a plane with these new seats.

One thing I did find odd was that the plane was completely dark; No power, no WiFi, etc. I thought we were going to at least have power when the plane went out but there were no outlets anywhere. I know that UA has a schedule to keep with installations and maintenance but from a customer standpoint they're pushing a product out that is not an improvement and every person who steps foot on that plane has their own mind to make up. This is an area that UA could significantly improve on, rather than putting the plane out there dark, make sure it has power or have a brochure on board describing the future WiFi streaming entertainment.
I sincerely appreciate the time and effort you invested to share your opinion. (I am sure JOSE does too, though I can't speak for them).

I would like to experience the seat for myself though, and at that point will finalize my own opinion. Unfortunately, my 'body stats' don't quite match your svelteness...

Thanks again, yours is the kind of information sharing that makes FT a valuable community.

Lark
Old Jun 9, 2013, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by Hartmann

Of course I appreciate your opinion. I was just stating that people should at least try it out for once before saying it's so bad. And from the sounds of it the seats are okay on like short 2 hour flights, but horrid on 5+ hour flights.
Old Jun 9, 2013, 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
Of course I appreciate your opinion. I was just stating that people should at least try it out for once before saying it's so bad. And from the sounds of it the seats are okay on like short 2 hour flights, but horrid on 5+ hour flights.
If UA replaces regionals with those birds in that config then I don't mind .

Old Jun 10, 2013, 2:09 pm
sb3

Programs: UA-1K
A few quick notes - flew on the next gen A319 this morning from PDX to SFO. It was a little odd to see the FAs standing in the aisle going old school on the safety presentation. No IFE at all, no window at row 12, 5 rows in F and the in-seat power didn't seem to work in E+. I did only try my own and not my neighbors so it could have been a one-off. I'm not very tall so while I know a lot of people like that there is extra height added to the seat back, the headrest is now essentially worthless to me.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 2:58 pm

Programs: UA 2P (will be 0P next yr), HH Diamond (thank you Surpass Card!)
I've been away for a while and just heard about these great and wonderful new "improvements".

Every single one of these "improvements" is a negative for me personally. I flew in the LH seat last week and hated it. Even a bit more seat padding is not going to improve the experience of flying in those seats. It was unpleasant for 1.5 hr; it will be torture at 5+ hr. (BTW, I'm 5'5" and 170 lb.).

I have been slowly drifting away from UA, after a lifetime of flying them almost exclusively. I am now beginning to run in the opposite direction. So sad.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by Jassy-50
I've been away for a while and just heard about these great and wonderful new "improvements".

Every single one of these "improvements" is a negative for me personally. I flew in the LH seat last week and hated it. Even a bit more seat padding is not going to improve the experience of flying in those seats. It was unpleasant for 1.5 hr; it will be torture at 5+ hr. (BTW, I'm 5'5" and 170 lb.).

I have been slowly drifting away from UA, after a lifetime of flying them almost exclusively. I am now beginning to run in the opposite direction. So sad.
When you are flying out of Alameda (OAK, SFO, SJC), what do you mean when you say the opposite direction? A single airline, or 'anybody but United'?
Old Jun 10, 2013, 3:32 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by sb3
A few quick notes - flew on the next gen A319 this morning from PDX to SFO. It was a little odd to see the FAs standing in the aisle going old school on the safety presentation. No IFE at all, no window at row 12, 5 rows in F and the in-seat power didn't seem to work in E+. I did only try my own and not my neighbors so it could have been a one-off. I'm not very tall so while I know a lot of people like that there is extra height added to the seat back, the headrest is now essentially worthless to me.
5 rows in F? I think you were on a 737 not an airbus.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by sb3
You were on a 739ER not an A319. Tail 460 to be exact.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 4:39 pm

Programs: UA 2P (will be 0P next yr), HH Diamond (thank you Surpass Card!)
Originally Posted by LarkSFO
When you are flying out of Alameda (OAK, SFO, SJC), what do you mean when you say the opposite direction? A single airline, or 'anybody but United'?
Well, as I have flown UA almost exclusively in the past, I don't have much experience with other airlines and thus I don't have a single alternative airline in mind. Southwest and Jet Blue have been pleasant experiences, but they do not get me to Europe. I'll just have to try out other airlines. So I guess my short answer to your question is "anybody but United". Alas, it is a bit problematic that SFO is a major UA hub and alternative choices are more limited in this neck of the woods.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by Jassy-50
Well, as I have flown UA almost exclusively in the past, I don't have much experience with other airlines and thus I don't have a single alternative airline in mind. Southwest and Jet Blue have been pleasant experiences, but they do not get me to Europe. I'll just have to try out other airlines. So I guess my short answer to your question is "anybody but United". Alas, it is a bit problematic that SFO is a major UA hub and alternative choices are more limited in this neck of the woods.
Yes, many discussions on this very topic... (Hub Captive)

Good luck, and let us know what you end up deciding.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 2:22 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 2P, Marriott Silver, many others
I never posted when this first came out, but I think it's a very unfortunate decision to not include Channel 9 with the new systems. It could have been done, if anyone spent some time thinking about how to make it happen. I realize it's just me talking, but the rest of the IFE has been worthless for decades as far as I'm concerned (maximum programs of 2 hours that don't change for 2 months at a time, classical channel just plays the old war horses, comedy and business channels long gone -- bleah!). I, for one, couldn't care less about having TV available.

Of course, I don't like the Airbuses, either, so guess I'll be flying AS as much possible now that I'm in SEA.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 1:50 pm

Programs: HH Gold, SPG Gold
I got a couple different experiences with the Recaro seats in Europe this past week and I didn't see much issue with them. Two of the flights were about 2 hours long.

The seats on Lufthansa had the limited padding, but I thought they were comfortable enough and could probably do a trans-con in them. The bottom padding is more than sufficient and the back padding while thin and hard does provide good support; which I like contrary to most people (note: I personally like the PMCO seats better than PMUA seats for their back support except the bottom cushion being a little too hard). The negative of this seat was the lack of padding for your head, lack of adjustable headrest, and lack of contour in the seat bottom. It's not comfortable if you want to lay back and sleep. The big positive is the increased legroom from putting the magazine pouch on top which is a great design feature.

On Swiss Air they have the additional comfort padding which with that package I found quite comfortable. Again the lack of seat contour and headrest were a negative, but otherwise very good seats.

It looks like UA opted for headrests and more comfort upgrades so these seats might address the negatives I noticed on Lufthansa and Swiss.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 7:49 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by rzsionak
I got a couple different experiences with the Recaro seats in Europe this past week and I didn't see much issue with them. Two of the flights were about 2 hours long.

The seats on Lufthansa had the limited padding, but I thought they were comfortable enough and could probably do a trans-con in them. The bottom padding is more than sufficient and the back padding while thin and hard does provide good support; which I like contrary to most people (note: I personally like the PMCO seats better than PMUA seats for their back support except the bottom cushion being a little too hard). The negative of this seat was the lack of padding for your head, lack of adjustable headrest, and lack of contour in the seat bottom. It's not comfortable if you want to lay back and sleep. The big positive is the increased legroom from putting the magazine pouch on top which is a great design feature.

On Swiss Air they have the additional comfort padding which with that package I found quite comfortable. Again the lack of seat contour and headrest were a negative, but otherwise very good seats.

It looks like UA opted for headrests and more comfort upgrades so these seats might address the negatives I noticed on Lufthansa and Swiss.
Only one way to find out...we have to fly the UA seats and see how it goes...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.