Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Update on our Airbus Reconfigurations (Seats, Entertainment, Channel 9, etc.)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: How do you feel about the new RECARO seats UA is installing?
I love them
1.83%
They are okay
9.57%
I am indifferent
6.31%
I don't really like them
20.98%
I hate them
48.07%
I've not tried them yet / no opinion
13.24%
Voters: 491. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jun 3, 2017, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2013, 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
No. The A319s/A320s will be getting the overhead video removed when the new seats are installed and will be getting on-demand streaming content to passengers with WiFi enabled devices. Believe on these aircraft FAs will do a "Live" Demo.
Just like the old days. Maybe they are just putting minimal investment that will get the most gain out of these A319/A320s until the new 737Max planes get here? Take out the IFE equipment and replace with Wifi = save weight. Replace seats = save weight and add pax capacity. Also, the OHB expansion looks (atleast to me) that the cover was just replaced not the bins themselves.
Old May 9, 2013, 6:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond

Not only do you need to supply your own device in Y, they won't install outlets at regular Y seats to keep them powered. Mind boggling.

These AC will be running certain transcons or lengthy midcons. Unreal they won't equip it properly.
Old May 9, 2013, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Another MASSIVE being spun like we should all bow down and thank the gods for United even allowing us the privilege of doing business with them. Tell me, UA Insider, will there ever be an actual "enhancement" that doesn't involve one small step forward overwhelmed by 16 giant leaps backward? More seats crammed into the same space, but somehow it is better! No IFE, no channel 9, but it's WAY BETTER! A charge for all IFE, but that too, B-E-T-T-E-R!!! Tell me, is the new head of PR at United the same guy who used to work for Kim Jong Il? "Penned six full operas in two years – "all of which are better than any in the history of music"! "On his first ever round of golf he shot a 38-under par round that included no fewer than 11 holes in one!"

The race to the bottom is over. United (CO dba UA) wins.
Old May 9, 2013, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Would love to see the 737s get those new seats in place of the Airbii - could legitimately call that an upgrade
Old May 9, 2013, 6:52 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Luvs2snowbordbut1kSEA
Why remove everything free??
I mean, c'mon, really? Particularly with this 'world class' airline . . .

Originally Posted by busyexec331
Thank you for this information, Aaron. Regarding the streaming audio and video, I would appreciate seeing reduced pricing (or no pricing at all) for elites.
Fat chance. We're already over-entitled.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
That is likely to change in the next year or two (the electrical device prohibition), not sure if wi-fi limit will be removed.
You have more faith in the speed at which our government operates than I do. The legislation authorizing issuance of ABTC travel cards was enacted and signed into law a year-and-a-half ago and I am still waiting for DHS to start issuing cards. The government is only at the "take a look at" stage with electronic devices. I'm not holding my breath.
Old May 9, 2013, 6:53 pm

Well, the bins are getting a little more capacity. For 6 more passengers. That may be a wash.

PMCO fliers, test out the current PMUA a319/320 - about as comfortable an E+ experience there ever was.

A real shame that is going away.
Old May 9, 2013, 6:58 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1_4 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B350 Safari/8536.25)

Was hoping for
More F seats. 8 is the lowest in the industry for a mainline jet.
Old May 9, 2013, 7:12 pm

Programs: UA G
I, for one, am looking forward to this upgrade. Wi-Fi is a huge ^^^. I won't miss the IFE once Wi-Fi is available.
Old May 9, 2013, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by npdave
I have no such device, have no intention of getting one, but I sorely miss listening to Channel 9. Am I SOL in that regard?
Sounds like it.
Old May 9, 2013, 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by unavaca
I, for one, am looking forward to this upgrade. Wi-Fi is a huge ^^^. I won't miss the IFE once Wi-Fi is available.
Just add wifi and leave the rest alone.
Old May 9, 2013, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SAT Lawyer
The 319s have a scant eight first class seats. UA ought to add more. Will it?
Yeah, 8 seats is a ridiculous number these days on the longer flights. I've recently been on 4 hour A319 flights where there have been 40 people on the first class waitlist (I was 6th as a 1K). Why not make the "extra row" a first class one? God knows, there are a lot of elites who would like the 50% extra first class seats.

I'm also not a fan of eliminating IFE, but I understand the economics of it. I guess I'll have to think about my entertainment in advance, just like these days you probably want to plan your food. I do think the model of giving away entertainment to make your passengers happier about their in-flight experience is a good one, but not one that current UA management has embraced.
Old May 9, 2013, 7:16 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Requests.

1. Channel 9

2. Allow pax to turn off IFE so we are never required to watch advertising at any time.

3. Flat beds on more long haul domestic routes

4. GF on the 787.

Zero interest in the other stuff.
Old May 9, 2013, 7:17 pm

Programs: UA G
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
Just add wifi and leave the rest alone.
I would have no objection to that, either, of course. If I had to pick between the current IFE and Wi-Fi (which I'm guessing what it came down to at UA HQ), I'd take Wi-Fi any day of the week and twice on Sunday.
Old May 9, 2013, 7:19 pm

Programs: Delta - PM / MM, UA 1K Starwood-Gold
Eliminating IFE does kinda solve the "an inappropriate flick is being shown on a drop down screen" issue
Old May 9, 2013, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx
Yeah, 8 seats is a ridiculous number these days on the longer flights. I've recently been on 4 hour A319 flights where there have been 40 people on the first class waitlist (I was 6th as a 1K). Why not make the "extra row" a first class one? God knows, there are a lot of elites who would like the 50% extra first class seats.
Then there would only be 36 people on the upgrade waitlist!

DL has bigger F cabins. If DL continues their current trajectory, I would imagine that UA may at some point decide that larger F cabins is something they need to compete.

I doubt this will happen in the next couple of years though.

Last edited by LarkSFO; May 9, 2013 at 7:39 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.