Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Update on our Airbus Reconfigurations (Seats, Entertainment, Channel 9, etc.)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: How do you feel about the new RECARO seats UA is installing?
I love them
1.83%
They are okay
9.57%
I am indifferent
6.31%
I don't really like them
20.98%
I hate them
48.07%
I've not tried them yet / no opinion
13.24%
Voters: 491. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jun 3, 2017, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2013, 10:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by colpuck
Don't be that person.
I ask this with complete seriousness: why not?
Old May 15, 2013, 1:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
I ask this with complete seriousness: why not?
Short answer: Dems da rules.

Long answer: While some of the FAA/Airline rules are stupid, it gets old hearing the FA's get on the PA and chastise the people who are flouting the rules. Underseat storage is more than capable of storing a laptop.
Old May 16, 2013, 12:22 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by colpuck
Short answer: Dems da rules.

Long answer: While some of the FAA/Airline rules are stupid, it gets old hearing the FA's get on the PA and chastise the people who are flouting the rules. Underseat storage is more than capable of storing a laptop.
Unless, of course, you want to utilize that legroom without stepping on your laptop.
Old May 16, 2013, 1:44 pm
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by catocony
Its not liking someone is going to get on the plane and say "no way, this interior clashes with my outfit. I need to get on a different plane."
Except when they do.
http://www.entertainmentwise.com/new...orms-off-plane
Old May 16, 2013, 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by UA Insider
Look out for more information, including comparison diagrams and an article on the United Hub, once the first reconfigured aircraft goes into service. Still, I wanted to make sure you heard the consolidated story here first.
I just checked the "HUB" and there is still no mention of the new, improved knee crushing A320 as UA Insider notes will make an appearance there. Nor is there any kind of press release like was released the day the first new PS 757 entered service.

I think we should ask ourselves did the drubbing UAL get here make them think twice about trying to spin this as a win for the customer? Or were they just too excited to announce the Dreamliner going back into service and are saving this for next week?
Old May 16, 2013, 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by B787938
I think we should ask ourselves did the drubbing UAL get here make them think twice about trying to spin this as a win for the customer?
I doubt it.
Old May 17, 2013, 4:12 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
I must be naive but I've never had any problems with the overhead bins in the airbus. Or maybe I should say this: if it fit in one of the CO 737 bins it fit in the UA airbus bin. The old Y cabin in the UA 763 is where they should replace the bins!

I like the current UA seats but at least there is some recognition of the need for padding. Hopefully it isn't any worse than the CO wooden church pew.

Trying to bilk extra money out of folks for IFE based on 'bring your own device' and then not outfitting the whole plane with plugs is a big misstep. Now the chance of them getting me to 'swipe swipe swipe' for this ife/wifi service is slim to none. Is it just me or are the blank direct tv screens on the Boeing epidemic only on the flights I'm on? How is it going to be different on the airbus?

My guess is that this is another nail in the coffin for channel nine.

Last edited by Renard; May 17, 2013 at 4:19 am
Old May 17, 2013, 5:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Renard

My guess is that this is another nail in the coffin for channel nine.
Chris Elliot's Middle Seat column the other day had another nail in the Ch. 9 coffin - the increased use of text messaging between the Flight Deck and ATC. Maybe United is being proactive and recognizing that there may not be much air-to-ground chatter worth listening to before long.
Old May 17, 2013, 6:26 am

Programs: UA 1k, Marriott Plat, HH gold, Avis/Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by halls120
Chris Elliot's Middle Seat column the other day had another nail in the Ch. 9 coffin - the increased use of text messaging between the Flight Deck and ATC. Maybe United is being proactive and recognizing that there may not be much air-to-ground chatter worth listening to before long.
The datacomm contract was just awarded, SWIM is very far away from happening, 2020 will be pushed back soon. So this isn't true at all, and even in final stage there will still be talking between the controller and pilot, just not as much
Old May 17, 2013, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
I must be naive but I've never had any problems with the overhead bins in the airbus. Or maybe I should say this: if it fit in one of the CO 737 bins it fit in the UA airbus bin. The old Y cabin in the UA 763 is where they should replace the bins!
The biggest bin issues are in the first few rows of F on some of the 737s, where you can't even fit a regular 22" in depth-wise.

No issues myself with my slightly oversized 22" Rimowa on the Airbii
Old May 17, 2013, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by halls120
This could be even better!

They could stream the text conversation through the IFE system so everyone (who wants to) could follow along*.

* in 2020...
Old May 17, 2013, 11:07 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by catocony
Those mesh pouches are pretty tiny. You can see in the pic where the headset only fits half-way in. It's more of a pocket, good for a phone and a pair of glasses. You may be able to squeeze a water bottle in there without the water bottle falling out.

Then again, you're eating into your new and "improved" knee room if you do so.
If my recent experience in LH Y FRA-LIS-FRA is any indicator, the pouches/mesh pockets will be broken within the first few flights. They have a plastic stiffener rather than just an elastic band, so when stretched, the plastic stiffener breaks and pokes through the surrounding textile. On both flights on virtually brand new A321s, the pouches were busted...I suspect the same will happen at UA.

Laptop won't fit into these pouches either, at least not standard 15.6" screens (no matter how thin). I would say an ipad, or macbook air will fit, but nothing larger.

Trying to bilk extra money out of folks for IFE based on 'bring your own device' and then not outfitting the whole plane with plugs is a big misstep. Now the chance of them getting me to 'swipe swipe swipe' for this ife/wifi service is slim to none.
This is a relative short term issue. Most new personal electronics these days have exceptionally long battery life. My ipad can do almost 10 hours, and so can my Samsung Chronos Series 7 Laptop (as many as 8 hours on battery saving mode). Within a couple of years, virtually all our devices will be able to last through most TATL trips, so there will be no requirement to recharge on domestic segments.
Old May 17, 2013, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by AAExPlat
If my recent experience in LH Y FRA-LIS-FRA is any indicator, the pouches/mesh pockets will be broken within the first few flights. They have a plastic stiffener rather than just an elastic band, so when stretched, the plastic stiffener breaks and pokes through the surrounding textile. On both flights on virtually brand new A321s, the pouches were busted...I suspect the same will happen at UA.

Laptop won't fit into these pouches either, at least not standard 15.6" screens (no matter how thin). I would say an ipad, or macbook air will fit, but nothing larger.

This is a relative short term issue. Most new personal electronics these days have exceptionally long battery life. My ipad can do almost 10 hours, and so can my Samsung Chronos Series 7 Laptop (as many as 8 hours on battery saving mode). Within a couple of years, virtually all our devices will be able to last through most TATL trips, so there will be no requirement to recharge on domestic segments.
You still have to have the device in the first place
Old May 17, 2013, 12:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond

And the device would need to be fully charged when boarding the aircraft.

People who bleat about 5 hour or 9 hour battery life always miss this simple point...the phone or device may be only at 50% at boarding due to use at the airport or in transit or from a connecting flight.

Not powering all of Y is a foolish mistake.
Old May 17, 2013, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by uastarflyer
And the device would need to be fully charged when boarding the aircraft.

People who bleat about 5 hour or 9 hour battery life always miss this simple point...the phone or device may be only at 50% at boarding due to use at the airport or in transit or from a connecting flight.

Not powering all of Y is a foolish mistake.
Or meetings.

Or an application that burns the battery down such as streaming video or running Parallels (Windows) on a Mac.

When I load Parallels and try to work in Windows on my Mac, the battery life drops from 7 hours to 2-3 hours.

I wonder if this is worth complaining about, because on these seats, it's basically impossible to open a laptop if the person in front reclines, anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.