Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Update on our Airbus Reconfigurations (Seats, Entertainment, Channel 9, etc.)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: How do you feel about the new RECARO seats UA is installing?
I love them
1.83%
They are okay
9.57%
I am indifferent
6.31%
I don't really like them
20.98%
I hate them
48.07%
I've not tried them yet / no opinion
13.24%
Voters: 491. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jun 3, 2017, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Update on our Airbus Reconfigurations (Seats, Entertainment, Channel 9, etc.)

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2013, 6:12 pm

Programs: UA G
Originally Posted by edcho
Maybe they can launch (and make money on) a rent-a-ipad program or something.
I vaguely recall they did that on TPACs at one point -- they had a rent-a-Zune thing going. Maybe they could recycle the unreliable digEplayers currently in use on p.s.
Old May 9, 2013, 6:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), Marriott lifetime Plat
Thank you for this information, Aaron. Regarding the streaming audio and video, I would appreciate seeing reduced pricing (or no pricing at all) for elites. Also, although I appreciate the stated commitment to Channel 9, I urge UA to please make Channel 9 a priority! I fear that Channel 9's absence, even if temporary, will prove a temptation to UA's brass to allow it to die altogether.
Old May 9, 2013, 6:17 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by unavaca
I vaguely recall they did that on TPACs at one point -- they had a rent-a-Zune thing going. ...
2010 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...microsoft.html
that didn't go well
Old May 9, 2013, 6:17 pm

Programs: UA S
Seems like mostly a win over the current setup, assuming the seats are properly padded. And FWIW I think the current Airbus seats are excellent, much better than the 737's

I am somewhat confused by how the product is diverging across the fleet, though - I would have expected the Airbii to get something comparable with the 737 fleet.
Old May 9, 2013, 6:18 pm

Programs: UA GS
I'd gladly pay for on-demand video if it's actually reliable vs being forced to watch whatever is on the dropdown LCDs. I generally bring my own video anyway.
Old May 9, 2013, 6:24 pm

Programs: UA MM
Isn't this going to be just like the 737's with the DirecTV connection I seem to be spending a lot of time on? If so, 1) you will see Jeff right in your face at the back of the seat in front of you and 2) no free entertainment at all. That just seems so cheap - compare to B6, for example.

And there's no channel 9 on those 737s, is there? (tell me I missed it somehow, please!).

Those seats look scary. Why don't I trust UA on this one
Old May 9, 2013, 6:24 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by bse118
And hopefully nothing untoward happens to Row 7 leg room...
This is my top concern. I spend a lot of time in row 7 when the upgrade fails, especially on the A319!
Old May 9, 2013, 6:27 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by villox
I'd gladly pay for on-demand video if it's actually reliable vs being forced to watch whatever is on the dropdown LCDs. I generally bring my own video anyway.
this will be UA's dilemma. Those with compatible devices can get content preload for $1-$2-$3 (or free), so puts a cap on the price.

Those without a compatible device will see this as a loss and another nickle-dime by the carrier.
Old May 9, 2013, 6:27 pm

Programs: UA Plat, 1MM
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Believe or not a significant portion of the traveling public does not have wi-fi AV device.
And an even smaller fraction (read: zero) has a device that can legally be operated below 10,000 feet, meaning that a wifi-only path to Ch9 would eliminate the vast majority of its value.
Old May 9, 2013, 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by FortFun
And an even smaller fraction (read: zero) has a device that can legally be operated below 10,000 feet, meaning that a wifi-only path to Ch9 would eliminate the vast majority of its value.
That is likely to change in the next year or two (the electrical device prohibition), not sure if wi-fi limit will be removed.
Old May 9, 2013, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
The economy class seats on US Airways' new A321 aircraft are excellent -- so much better than the old Continental church pews, they're an inducement to book US over UA when you know you face a pmCO aircraft. Will the new seats you're discussing be anything like the US seats?
Old May 9, 2013, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
The loss of free audio/video (and without having to carry a personal device) is a negative.

Do not like.
++++1....so bascially the Airbus flights WILL go dark unless you bring your own Wifi equipped device...it will become like the 737s without DirectTV if you don't have an ipad or computer handy...growl...at least you should be able to check under in-flight amenities on ual.com to see if you have one of the "new" Airbus planes
Old May 9, 2013, 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by MojaveFlyer
Isn't this going to be just like the 737's with the DirecTV connection I seem to be spending a lot of time on? If so, 1) you will see Jeff right in your face at the back of the seat in front of you and 2) no free entertainment at all. That just seems so cheap - compare to B6, for example.

And there's no channel 9 on those 737s, is there? (tell me I missed it somehow, please!).

Those seats look scary. Why don't I trust UA on this one
No. The A319s/A320s will be getting the overhead video removed when the new seats are installed and will be getting on-demand streaming content to passengers with WiFi enabled devices. Believe on these aircraft FAs will do a "Live" Demo.
Old May 9, 2013, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by BearX220
The economy class seats on US Airways' new A321 aircraft are excellent -- so much better than the old Continental church pews, they're an inducement to book US over UA when you know you face a pmCO aircraft. Will the new seats you're discussing be anything like the US seats?
Who makes those A321 seats?
Old May 9, 2013, 6:39 pm

Programs: UA-1MM,AA
With all the controversy and griping about people not turning off their electronic devices, and all the moaning about overhead space is it now required, or at least strongly encouraged, that *every* passenger have one and carry it aboard? Talk about mixed messages.

I have no such device, have no intention of getting one, but I sorely miss listening to Channel 9. Am I SOL in that regard?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.