Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Update on our Airbus Reconfigurations (Seats, Entertainment, Channel 9, etc.)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: How do you feel about the new RECARO seats UA is installing?
I love them
1.83%
They are okay
9.57%
I am indifferent
6.31%
I don't really like them
20.98%
I hate them
48.07%
I've not tried them yet / no opinion
13.24%
Voters: 491. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jun 3, 2017, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Update on our Airbus Reconfigurations (Seats, Entertainment, Channel 9, etc.)

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2013, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
Originally Posted by LarkSFO
Flying anywhere from SFO?

UA 50
US 4

In other words, sit in the seat on the plane that is going where you need to go...
Still doesn't change the fact that US will have a better hard and soft product compared to UA.
Old May 12, 2013, 9:33 am

Programs: UA LT GS 4.12MM (4.08MM BIS), AA EXP 1.86MM ,DL DM 1.1MM, HH LT Diamond, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by colpuck
Still doesn't change the fact that US will have a better hard and soft product compared to UA.
You are correct! I have been blown away at just how good my US flights have been of late...It is obvious that one airline is ascending while the other is not! Sad, Sad, Sad!
Old May 12, 2013, 9:42 am

Programs: Hyatt GLOB, Marriott Lifetime PLT, UA 1K 1MM.
Originally Posted by FWAAA
I would bet serious money that AA's new Airbus (beginning in 2-3 months) come with these new slimline, lightweight, reduced-pitch Y seats, so the US advantage may be fleeting. Once Parker sees that he can add six more Y seats to his existing Airbus at no additional weight, the Recaro factory will be working overtime. Given that Parker is facing a loss of one row to reconfigure with MCE, these new seats will be all the more important.
http://www.aa.com/i18n/pressReleases...p?locale=en_gB

they are using the same seat.

but yes, they will have both power and IFE nose to tail.
Old May 12, 2013, 9:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Once again, wifi could have been done w/o ripping out all the (great) seats. Power too (look at how PS did it w/similar seats).
Emblematic of the merger - where 1+1 could have been 3 it is now about 3/4.

And besides, power isn't to be fitted in the whole plane, just E+ and 8-12 F seats.

So most passengers simply lose comfort and IFE and that is it.

Last edited by iluv2fly; May 12, 2013 at 10:28 am Reason: unnecessary
Old May 12, 2013, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by halls120
Don't forget the fact that for the poor souls in E-, there will be less pitch.

You can't fight the math, no matter how loyal you are to pmCO. E- in the refurbished aircraft on a transcon will not be pleasant.
Why is it my concern to worry about the 'poor souls in E-'? These people went to Orbitz, searched for the cheapest ticket to their destination, and found it on UA. I don't think they are expecting much more than the usual economy class flying experience. (If they are slightly savvy, they have the explorer card for the perks. And, if a little more experienced, may evaluate the buy up - E+ or F - options that are offered to improve their flight. But, most will just sit in the seat they bought.)

Originally Posted by colpuck
I don't disagree with you. (Actually, I'll take your word for it since I don't fly US much.)

If I were in PHX, CLT, PHL, then I am certain that US would be getting the majority of my business. But not because of IFE or 2 mm of extra padding on the Y seat; Because they fly where I want to go!

Out of SFO, neither US and AA has many direct destinations.

It has been argued ad nauseum elsewhere, so I will not continue here. But the fundamental equation is do you want to fly on the airline with the best schedule / destinations / convenience from your home airport?

Or are you willing to inconvenience yourself (connect mostly) in order to fly an airline that you believe offers a superior travel experience?

It is a subjective question, everybody has their own priorities which will guide their answer. If they are happy with their choice, good for them.

Last edited by iluv2fly; May 12, 2013 at 10:28 am Reason: unnecessary
Old May 12, 2013, 10:19 am

Programs: UA G
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
As someone with E+ access, I'd generally rather not be on a ps plane, since the E+ is fakey, unless I need the wifi.

The airbii provide a fantastic experience. And there are already 30 with wifi.
If the "fake" E+ is important to you, then you'll love the p.s. retrofit. E+ goes to 37" of legroom.
Old May 12, 2013, 10:25 am

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Lark, are you assuming that everyone in E+ has status while everyone in E- doesn't? There are plenty of Silvers and Golds stuck in E- on just about every flight. On SFO-IAD flights, I've sat next to GS on A319/320 flghts in E+, and 4/5ths of the plane had status. When I was 1K, I had to sit in E- myself a few times. Look at the upgrade list next time you board an Airbus. If the upgrade list is pages long, not all of those people are in E+. If it's a choice between a middle seat in E+ or an aisle or window in E-, people will give up the legroom. Or, if you're flying standby, E+ may not be available at all.

So yeah, you might care about E- because you may sit there one day soon. United should definitely care about the bulk of the seats on their planes, since GSs and 1Ks don't just fall out of the sky. Unless you take a job where you're flying paid business or first all the time, if you're a beginning frequent flyer, you're in the back of the plane until you rack up some miles and segments.

Not everyone "back there" is a kettle. Providing a crappy product in E- will kill United in the long run more than skimping on meals in F.
Old May 12, 2013, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by catocony
Lark, are you assuming that everyone in E+ has status while everyone in E- doesn't? There are plenty of Silvers and Golds stuck in E- on just about every flight. On SFO-IAD flights, I've sat next to GS on A319/320 flghts in E+, and 4/5ths of the plane had status. When I was 1K, I had to sit in E- myself a few times. Look at the upgrade list next time you board an Airbus. If the upgrade list is pages long, not all of those people are in E+. If it's a choice between a middle seat in E+ or an aisle or window in E-, people will give up the legroom. Or, if you're flying standby, E+ may not be available at all.

So yeah, you might care about E- because you may sit there one day soon. United should definitely care about the bulk of the seats on their planes, since GSs and 1Ks don't just fall out of the sky. Unless you take a job where you're flying paid business or first all the time, if you're a beginning frequent flyer, you're in the back of the plane until you rack up some miles and segments.

Not everyone "back there" is a kettle. Providing a crappy product in E- will kill United in the long run more than skimping on meals in F.
Fair points...

I do have the ability to plan my travel in advance (usually at least 4 or 5 days), and have not in the last two years been seated in E-. But, if I wanted to stand by for an earlier flight, or if I do have last minute travel, then I guess I would recognize that a seat in E- would be a real possibility.

Originally Posted by catocony
Providing a crappy product in E- will kill United in the long run more than skimping on meals in F.
United clearly disagrees with this statement, and I don't think you should expect any change in direction despite all the handwaving here on FT...

They've done the math. Probably even recognize that there is a slight risk in taking this path. But, bottom line they must believe that these changes will not scare off many flyers. We'll see...

(The corollary to a worse E- experience is that it makes E+ so much more valuable relatively. So, would not be surprised to see demand and $$ for E+ start to rise as these changes come in to production...)
Old May 12, 2013, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

All these post and still nothing since my last one, are these seats the same 18" wide or are they going the way of Boeing and being 17.3" wide. If narrower then this is a huge downgrade.

Last edited by Baze; May 12, 2013 at 3:15 pm Reason: fixed spelling of Boeing
Old May 12, 2013, 3:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by unavaca
If the "fake" E+ is important to you, then you'll love the p.s. retrofit. E+ goes to 37" of legroom.
As a tall person, as between real E+ and the ps E+, I'd much rather be in the former. Don't think my position on that is particularly unusual...

And yes, I'm happy about the refit.
Old May 12, 2013, 4:05 pm

Programs: UA G
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
As a tall person, as between real E+ and the ps E+, I'd much rather be in the former. Don't think my position on that is particularly unusual...

And yes, I'm happy about the refit.
What's the difference between "real E+" and new ps E+? I can understand the comparison to the old ps E+, but the new ps E+ has more legroom than anything else in the fleet.
Old May 12, 2013, 4:30 pm
Suspended

Highly doubt it. Don't every fly on the A319's...if you di, don't expect an upgrade.
Old May 12, 2013, 4:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by halls120
Everyone charges for Wi-Fi, so that isn't surprising that UA would do it.

People are missing the bright side of the drop down screen removal - fewer chances of a diversion courtesy of a helicopter parent.

There is another bright spot that nobody seems to be bringing up. With the overhead screens, the lavatory usage was highly clustered at the end of each program. As soon as credits rolled, a 30 minute line would line would form for the lav. I almost never watch the overhead movie, but I try to be mindful of when it is about to end so I can use the lav before the rush. With each person streaming (or reading or whatever else) the load will be more spread out.
Old May 12, 2013, 5:18 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Funny to think that the EMB-175s UA is going to have flying for UAX will have the same amount of F seats as the A-320 (12) and MORE than the A-319
Old May 12, 2013, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by CMK10
Funny to think that the EMB-175s UA is going to have flying for UAX will have the same amount of F seats as the A-320 (12) and MORE than the A-319
Even funnier that the Y seats are likely to be more comfortable on them as well

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.