Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Update on our Airbus Reconfigurations (Seats, Entertainment, Channel 9, etc.)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: How do you feel about the new RECARO seats UA is installing?
I love them
1.83%
They are okay
9.57%
I am indifferent
6.31%
I don't really like them
20.98%
I hate them
48.07%
I've not tried them yet / no opinion
13.24%
Voters: 491. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jun 3, 2017, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Update on our Airbus Reconfigurations (Seats, Entertainment, Channel 9, etc.)

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2013, 11:50 am

Programs: UA GS, DL Diamond, HH Diamond, IHG Platinum, SPG Gold, Hertz Pres. Circle, Global Entry
Originally Posted by villox
Someone whose livelihood depends on their biggest clients buying their services thinks their client is making the wrong decision by not doing so?

And thinks a flyertalk is the best place to lobby them otherwise?

Seems odd.
I gain nothing from UA removing or keeping their existing equipment - they already own it.

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Interesting. Care to quantify how many minutes per hour (or per flight) a 'handful' might be?
That's a very valid question - 7 minutes of total ad content per flight segment (about half as many ads as during a typical 60 minute TV show you watch at home).

Don't get me wrong - I don't like ads any more than you do, but if a few minutes of ads will pay for me to be able to still have things like Channel 9 access, I'm all for it...

Originally Posted by mitchmu
So, you're the source of this misery?

Travelnlite84, it would be *impossible* for me to disagree with you more strongly than I do.

And, I'm really disappointed to hear that DL has gone with this cheap crappy obnoxious system as well.
I hear what you're saying, but it's not a question of whether you go with this or something better, it's a question of this or nothing at all. As I mentioned, even I don't care much about overhead video, but having Channel 9 access and the occasional interesting sitcom for free as opposed to having nothing, which is also free, why would you opt for nothing?

Last edited by iluv2fly; May 10, 2013 at 12:15 pm Reason: merge
Old May 10, 2013, 11:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
That some on here are touting virtues of single-screen content is mind-blowing to me.
1 > 0

And for audio, 12 > 0

And Channel 9

I discovered Big Bang Theory thanks to free overhead IFE. Also have seen a few interesting movies I may have not selected myself.

I too don't get why people don't like options or can't grasp the fact WiFi streaming could be an "in addition to" not simply an "instead of"

Person A watches the free screen. Person B pays for streaming. Person C reads a book. Person D stares into space.

Winner all around.

Last edited by iluv2fly; May 10, 2013 at 12:16 pm Reason: merge
Old May 10, 2013, 12:00 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
1 > 0

And for audio, 12 > 0

And Channel 9
Seems simple, except if you've already seen what's being shown, or don't want to watch it, or the screen is of poor quality and far away.

I like Channel 9 but it's not ubiquitous enough and really more a "nice to have".

Offering a reliable, affordable on-demand video service to my own device is a HUGE upgrade over a single screen I NEVER watch, again assuming those adjectives are valid.

I discovered Big Bang Theory thanks to free overhead IFE. Also have seen a few interesting movies I may have not selected myself.

I too don't get why people don't like options or can't grasp the fact WiFi streaming could be an "in addition to" not simply an "instead of"

Person A watches the free screen. Person B pays for streaming. Person C reads a book. Person D stares into space.

Winner all around.
Except for the limited space and weight and maintenance of all these electronics, sure, it'd be nice to have all of the above.

If one assumes however that they had to pick one or the other, I'd rather offer a wide variety and charge for it than no variety at all and for free.

Last edited by iluv2fly; May 10, 2013 at 12:17 pm Reason: merge
Old May 10, 2013, 12:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by nova08
I like the addition of AC outlets.
You mean a year from now, if that happens, right?

Last edited by halls120; May 10, 2013 at 12:09 pm
Old May 10, 2013, 12:05 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL Diamond, HH Diamond, IHG Platinum, SPG Gold, Hertz Pres. Circle, Global Entry
Seems simple, except if you've already seen what's being shown, or don't want to watch it, or the screen is of poor quality and far away.

I like Channel 9 but it's not ubiquitous enough and really more a "nice to have".

Offering a reliable, affordable on-demand video service to my own device is a HUGE upgrade over a single screen I NEVER watch, again assuming those adjectives are valid.
You're absolutely right - a reliable, affordable, AVOD system is a huge upgrade beyond Overhead Video. Unfortunately, that's not what you're going to be getting on these aircraft.
Old May 10, 2013, 12:05 pm

Programs: UA G
Originally Posted by halls120
Wi-Fi is a definite ^^. Losing Ch9 is a . Delay in getting power

One step forward, two steps back.
Since power will be here next year, does that mean we're going to trade Ch9 for Wi-Fi? If so, I'll happily take that trade.
Old May 10, 2013, 12:06 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Always Flyin
I disagree. The more the seat in front of me reclines, the less comfortable and more annoying it is to me.
I love AA's solution of reclining into one's own space, with the seat cushion moving forward with the recline mechanism. It's equitable and ends the age-old debate of whether it's polite to recline. Everyone can do their own CBA as to whether the tradeoff is worth it.
Old May 10, 2013, 12:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond

Winner all around.
It's not us that doesn't grasp this. It's UA and/or it's lowest-bid IFE/seat provider.
Old May 10, 2013, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by travelnlite84
You're absolutely right - a reliable, affordable, AVOD system is a huge upgrade beyond Overhead Video. Unfortunately, that's not what you're going to be getting on these aircraft.
Hey, believe me, I have enough trouble getting my stupid Tivo Stream to stream movies over my home wifi network from my Tivo to my iPad to work, so I'm very skeptical that it's going to work on a plane. But I'll at least wait to see how it works before getting too upset about it.

If it doesn't, I'll just go back to watching whatever I've downloaded in advance and taking advantage of the seat power.
Old May 10, 2013, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by Luvs2snowbordbut1kSEA
Then the Direct TV cabin announcement (usuually far too loud) extolling the values of purchasing the the TV. You are stuck with those.
How am I stuck with that? It plays once during boarding/departure, and never again the entire flight
Old May 10, 2013, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by GoAmtrak
I love AA's solution of reclining into one's own space, with the seat cushion moving forward with the recline mechanism. It's equitable and ends the age-old debate of whether it's polite to recline. Everyone can do their own CBA as to whether the tradeoff is worth it.
I agree with you - Air France does it too. Takes some getting used to, but I think it's great.

Hey, believe me, I have enough trouble getting my stupid Tivo Stream to stream movies over my home wifi network from my Tivo to my iPad to work, so I'm very skeptical that it's going to work on a plane. But I'll at least wait to see how it works before getting too upset about it.

If it doesn't, I'll just go back to watching whatever I've downloaded in advance and taking advantage of the seat power.
I'm with you there - general use wi-fi and inseat power are the best (cheap) upgrades you can get!

Last edited by iluv2fly; May 10, 2013 at 12:17 pm Reason: merge
Old May 10, 2013, 12:14 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by mitchmu
I've never heard of such a thing, streaming WIFI video on a plane.
Take a look at the AA website:
Enjoy Entertainment On Demand
Now Available on Tablets
Old May 10, 2013, 12:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by unavaca
Since power will be here next year, does that mean we're going to trade Ch9 for Wi-Fi? If so, I'll happily take that trade.
I hate to harp on this, but WiFi is already here. There's no need for a trade-off. Have the birds that have gotten WiFi already lost Channel 9?
Old May 10, 2013, 12:22 pm

One point about the on-demand wifi video. On AA anyway, it's per-show or movie pricing, it's not like you buy $7 of wifi and get a big catalog to watch whatever you want.

That can be good and bad I guess, but we won't know until we see what the pricing is like on UA.
Old May 10, 2013, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by mgcsinc
I hate to harp on this, but WiFi is already here. There's no need for a trade-off. Have the birds that have gotten WiFi already lost Channel 9?
No idea. We're all speculating why they chose to get rid of the IFE system. To add more baseless speculation: the Wi-Fi gear needed precious overhead space already occupied by the current A320 IFE gear. Using that space for more useful Wi-Fi and not having to wire up a few hundred new seats (plus the weight savings) makes ditching IFE and adding Wi-Fi a clear win.

Edit: Wrong. See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20729944-post181.html.

At least in the 747 case, it had an AVOD system (IPTE) worth saving. I could take it or leave it when it comes to the A320 IFE. A 9" LCD four rows is visually smaller than my 5" phone screen 18" away anyway.

Last edited by unavaca; May 10, 2013 at 3:09 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.