Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Update on our Airbus Reconfigurations (Seats, Entertainment, Channel 9, etc.)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: How do you feel about the new RECARO seats UA is installing?
I love them
1.83%
They are okay
9.57%
I am indifferent
6.31%
I don't really like them
20.98%
I hate them
48.07%
I've not tried them yet / no opinion
13.24%
Voters: 491. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jun 3, 2017, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Update on our Airbus Reconfigurations (Seats, Entertainment, Channel 9, etc.)

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2013, 9:48 am

I like the addition of AC outlets. Though if you are not in F and have a regular size laptop good luck trying to fit it on your seat back tray, let alone if the person reclines.

I really like the concept of the wifi and streaming content but as many have suggested the market for people to pay for these things has to be incredibly low, I know I won't pay. Will you have to pay for the wifi and then an additional charge for the content? I'm not going to pay ~$7 for so-so internet for 2-3 hours and then have to probably pay $5 for a movie.

At least DTV is free in F, wifi is not and I doubt any of the streaming content will be either.
Old May 10, 2013, 10:07 am
Used to be 'IAD22066'

Programs: UA 1K AA
Channel 9

Is liveatc.net an option?
Old May 10, 2013, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by tryathlete
Where is the love on UA?
Does not exist. You haven't figured that out on your own?

Originally Posted by bse118
On your own device via streaming over WiFi. Which is quite clear in the OP.

I've flown more CO 737s than I'd care to. Last one was SFO-DCA in March. During which I turned off my screen after the safety video - and it remained off for the duration of the transcon. Certainly wasn't off/on over and over again.

In reality the on/off cycling you mention happens only when the FA's have to reset the DirectTV system, which is usually ONCE per flight.

I don't spend much time watching other peoples' screens, but to each his own.
I've never heard of such a thing, streaming WIFI video on a plane.

So, when do we get plugs? Is it one per seat?

Have you ever noticed how fast a battery is drained by using WIFI and watching a movie?

That is simply impractical unless the device is plugged in.

And, by the way, I thought WIFI was dangerous and would cause a plane crash? That's why they have lectured us for the last decade that we must turn off WIFI.

Now, all of a sudden, they've found a way to monetize it, so therefore it's become safe since they can make money off it?

As for the screens, they do turn them on, all the time, and the screaming advertising and other b.s. before the safety video is intolerable and they turn it back on in between each segment of screaming advertising before the safety video, which can be a long time.

And, I am bothered by the constant messaging that enters my peripheral vision from 20-30 other screens in my area. I hate it.

Originally Posted by catocony
I very much disagree with you there. A dropdown screen every 4 rows or so that's actually playing a movie or Anthony Bourdain or Big Bang Theory or whatever is far, far less intrusive than 150 screens in the seatbacks playing a very short loop of ads for six hours straight. I can dim my screen, I may be able to ask the person next to me to dim theirs if they're not watching it, but I can't do it to the passengers in the other 22 seats that are generally in my visual range.

I guess to sum up my feelings - Conited is trying to fix something that isn't broken in the name of increasing dollars. That's ok, but as the old saying goes, don't piss down my neck and tell me it's raining. A lot pmUA customers go out of their way now to get an Airbus because we don't like the 737s for a lot of reasons. Now, that option is disappearing. I doubt if too many pmCO customers seek out Airbuses, since they seem happy with the 737s and AVOD.

I like that nomenclature. Conited is becoming a grumpy, expensive version of a discount carrier that happens to fly internationally.
I've never once been bothered by the TV screens. They are out of my field of vision b/c I just don't look up, and as you say, they play content, not advertising.

CO has no class whatsoever. They're such money-grubbing cheapskates that they can't allow even a molecule of oxygen to be left in peace. Every fraction of every second, every single molecule of space on the flight, must be 100% devoted to selling, selling, selling, selling.

There's never enough money for them. Never enough. No matter what they get, they want more.

Can't they just let us sit down in peace and enjoy the flight in solitude? Is it so important that 1 in 100,000 flyers buys whatever junk they are peddling like snake oil salesmen on a 2am TV infomercial so they can irritate 100,000 people for 6 hours just to make 2 cents?

Is it ever enough?

So now there's nothing. We can either take a CR7 or a 737 or a Conified Airbus that's been converted into a new type of torture chamber.

And, the race to the bottom continues. They are determined to find the bottom. One way or another, they'll get there.

Originally Posted by mgcsinc
I like that the streaming entertainment concept is so silly that mitchmu presupposed that it couldn't possibly be the case
Exactly. I could not even envision it.

Sure, this is a matter of opinion. Me - i read a good old fashioned paper book. I spend my days in an office staring at a screen - don't need to do the same when I'm on a plane.
Amen! How much nicer would it be if everyone on the aircraft just opened a book? And that was it. But, $mi$ek can't make more money from your butt in that seat reading a book. If there's not enough in it for him, he's got to get more.

Well if no-one's paying for IFE in the first place on pmCO 737 seatback screens, why does it matter if pmUA Airbi becomes on your-own device only? They're still not gonna pay for it - whether they have a device or not. In other words it doesn't matter if the pax doesn't have a tablet - if willingness to pay for the content is zero.*
I think this new stupid plan is brilliant, exactly for that reason. It's a non-event. Nobody's gonna do it. Then we get peace. At most, we'll see 2-3 people on the entire flight pay for the streaming content, and then their devices will be drained within a couple hours. And, who knows when the electricity will show up.

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
And forget about using any sort of normal-sized laptop, even in E+. The protrusion from the magazine space is too great.
Absolutely, I've had no luck using my laptop on the LH flights with Recaro.

Originally Posted by LarkSFO
Man, people sure do get worked up around here...

So, 1" of additional pitch is worse?

When you board on one of these new aircraft, remove all the literature from the seat pocket and put it on the floor or in an overhead bin.
Is it more or less pitch? I thought we have less?

I also do that with the literature on all flights.

Last edited by iluv2fly; May 10, 2013 at 12:13 pm Reason: response to deleted post
Old May 10, 2013, 10:10 am

Programs: UA Gold/1MM
Arrow How about GPS/MAP?

Why dont you guys add the GPS/MAP option to your screens in your single aisle products? Some of us want to know where we are flying and want to know speed/altitude/ETA/OAT etc. I love the Air Canada product that has complimentary programming and Mapping built in.
Old May 10, 2013, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by tashi
Why dont you guys add the GPS/MAP option to your screens in your single aisle products? Some of us want to know where we are flying and want to know speed/altitude/ETA/OAT etc. I love the Air Canada product that has complimentary programming and Mapping built in.
Because nobody would pay for it.

BTW: On NH, they have a camera on the bottom of the aircraft and there's an option to watch, live, the view from that camera. It's fun to watch the clouds, the terrain, and watching the landing is really cool.

But, NH is an airline that doesn't have to monetize every last thing. They're willing to spend a little money to do something that provides enjoyment.
Old May 10, 2013, 10:14 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
. So, taking the position that the airline will just charge for wi-fi and provide some content to those that have a tablet and wish to pay $6.99 is BETTER than just playing a movie and some TV programs on the overheads is incorrect."
Except that's not the position I'm taking. The position I'm taking is that if UA is moving to for-pay IFE domestically (which all evidence says it is) then:

This: "charge for wi-fi and provide some content to those that have a tablet and wish to pay $6.99"

is for me, in terms of cabin environment, preferable to:

"screen in the seatback that the uninitiated don't explicitly know how to turn off that you have to pay to get content or watch an ad loop"

because this:

The best case scenario is the personal system like on pmUA 777s/767s. It's "free", and you can easily turn the screen off if you want to read, or sleep, or use your own device. The second best would be a seatback system that has maybe one channel "free", with paid options for those that choose it. With an explicit on/off button, and no freaking ads.
Isn't likely to happen.

In the end I don't care what's best for the folks that fly once or twice and a year, and don't know to bring their own IFE. I care what's best for my own personal flying comfort. Which brings me back to this:

I'm apprehensive of these seats - even with the extra padding. And hopefully nothing untoward happens to Row 7 leg room...
Old May 10, 2013, 10:21 am

Programs: UA Gold/1MM
Arrow

Originally Posted by mitchmu
Because nobody would pay for it.

BTW: On NH, they have a camera on the bottom of the aircraft and there's an option to watch, live, the view from that camera. It's fun to watch the clouds, the terrain, and watching the landing is really cool.

But, NH is an airline that doesn't have to monetize every last thing. They're willing to spend a little money to do something that provides enjoyment.
There are 3 cameras on the Emirates A380s and 2 on the rest of their fleet.

However while pmCO had DirectTV come in and install that worthless system, they could have added the Mapping option as well so if you are not paying for DTV you could watch the flight details.
Old May 10, 2013, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by IAD22066
Is liveatc.net an option?
It is -- but you have to pay for WiFi. Not only that, you can't hear it at the (IMO) most exciting parts -- when we are taking off or landing -- since we can't use the WiFi.
Old May 10, 2013, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by tashi
There are 3 cameras on the Emirates A380s and 2 on the rest of their fleet.

However while pmCO had DirectTV come in and install that worthless system, they could have added the Mapping option as well so if you are not paying for DTV you could watch the flight details.
Yes. They could have. It's it telling about their culture that, instead, they have a "default on" and "constant turning back on" that leads to an endless loop of screaming advertisements that never stop?

What does this tell us about how they view the world?
Old May 10, 2013, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nova08
I really like the concept of the wifi and streaming content but as many have suggested the market for people to pay for these things has to be incredibly low, I know I won't pay. Will you have to pay for the wifi and then an additional charge for the content? I'm not going to pay ~$7 for so-so internet for 2-3 hours and then have to probably pay $5 for a movie.
Is United using Gogo or offering it "in-house" with their own payment plan? GoGo has some decently priced monthly passes aimed at FF that are reasonable for someone making multiple trips a month.

Last edited by Duke787; May 10, 2013 at 11:11 am Reason: punctuation / grammar
Old May 10, 2013, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LarkSFO
No streaming involved. We receive the content 'telepathically'.

Man, people sure do get worked up around here...

So, 1" of additional pitch is worse?
UA is not adding an additional inch of seat pitch; UA is taking away an inch of seat pitch.

Seat pitch is the distance between between rows of seats. For instance, measure the distance between a floor mounting bolt on your seat and the same bolt on the seat ahead or behind yours. That distance is seat pitch, and UA is removing one inch so that an additional row can be jammed in (just like Southwest).

The personal space alchemy touted by the airlines is that by making each seat an inch and a quarter thinner than before, we won't notice the reduced pitch and we'll have the same legroom as before.

So, do I watch video? No, I don't. However, I do have peripheral vision, and do occasionally try and sleep on flights. So, the 150 screens that don't have an explicit on/off button means that the kettles leave them on the whole flight, generating lots of light pollution.
It can be annoying, but the good news is that the eyeshades from premium cabin amenity kits are lightweight, easy to carry and block out that unwanted light when I want to sleep. I keep a couple of those eyeshades in my personal item at all times for just those times. That's an easily remedied annoyance.
Old May 10, 2013, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by flyerdude88
Is United using Gogo or offering it "in-house." GoGo has some decently priced monthly passes aimed at FF that are reasonable for someone making multiple trips a month.
"in-house" except for PS flights.
Old May 10, 2013, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by flyerdude88
Is United using Gogo or offering it "in-house." GoGo has some decently priced monthly passes aimed at FF that are reasonable for someone making multiple trips a month.
Certainly an option but until 75%+ of the airbus fleet is outfitted don't think I'll go for it simply because I may only end up with 1-2 wifi equiped flts a month.
Old May 10, 2013, 10:51 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by nova08
Certainly an option but until 75%+ of the airbus fleet is outfitted don't think I'll go for it simply because I may only end up with 1-2 wifi equiped flts a month.
They're not using gogo.
Old May 10, 2013, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by FWAAA
UA is not adding an additional inch of seat pitch; UA is taking away an inch of seat pitch.

Seat pitch is the distance between between rows of seats. For instance, measure the distance between a floor mounting bolt on your seat and the same bolt on the seat ahead or behind yours. That distance is seat pitch, and UA is removing one inch so that an additional row can be jammed in (just like Southwest).
There are two relevant factors:

Seat Pitch

Seat Recline Angle

Why is it that nobody ever talks about the angle at which a seat can recline?

This topic is never mentioned. It's not even included in SeatGuru or similar sites.

Everyone talks about seat pitch as though it's the total story.

Recline angle is important in two ways:

1. The more recline, the more comfort for the passenger, and

2. The more recline, the less space for the other passenger to use a laptop and the less effective space from seat to their face and/or knees

I've never understood why every conversation about aircraft configuration talks only about pitch and not recline angle.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.