Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United changed its award inventory to avoid US airway final inflation.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United changed its award inventory to avoid US airway final inflation.

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2013, 2:41 pm

Programs: United
i guess the demand for summer travel also plays into this. TPAC prices are way up this summer. i know a few routes were cancelled but dont know exactly why the prices are so high. this might also have an impact on award availability...
Old May 6, 2013, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by DOUDOU1980
My friend in United told me that US airway sell its miles very cheap recently. And since it definitely will leave *A, US Airway abused its contract in *A. United changed its policy to release its savor award space within one week, for some hot routes, even within three days. If people cannot redeem these cheap dividend miles....
LOL. US inflation? Cheap dividend miles? That's the pot calling the kettle black.
I "earned" over 750K MP miles last year while flying less than 10,000 miles on UA. Thanks Chase.
Old May 6, 2013, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by 787fan
It's not just UA. My friend has been searching TPAC space for August. He's being very flexible regarding which dates and which carriers, and so far, *very* few results show up in premium cabins across all of Star.

We've even went to ANA to verify that the inventory is actually not there instead of just a UA.com bug.
OZ has blackouts through most of the summer. NH is stingy during summer. SQ doesn't give *A partners premium seats unless there's a fluke. This leaves you with UA and CA (until BR comes online).

None of this should be shocking.
Old May 6, 2013, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oh, and if you're willing to fly CA, lots of F and C availability to PEK out of LAX and SFO. Once you get to PEK, as long as you stay off of OZ, things should be easier (SQ C isn't that hard to get intra-Asia).

What's going to kill you is domestic availability on the UA side. Shockingly, airlines like to sell seats during peak demand periods... such as the summer in the USA.
Old May 6, 2013, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Oh, and if you're willing to fly CA, lots of F and C availability to PEK out of LAX and SFO. Once you get to PEK, as long as you stay off of OZ, things should be easier (SQ C isn't that hard to get intra-Asia).
you do understand that on the 77W, CA F and CA J both blow UA out of the water, right?
Old May 6, 2013, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rankourabu
you do understand that on the 77W, CA F and CA J both blow UA out of the water, right?
Might not be fun on irrops.

Also, if it's slanty CA J, not so much.
Old May 6, 2013, 8:33 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Might not be fun on irrops.

Also, if it's slanty CA J, not so much.
The new CA F on the 77W is one of the best new products out there
Old May 6, 2013, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
The new CA F on the 77W is one of the best new products out there
I've heard that on the hard product: same basic product as LH/LX (though not as well appointed IMO).

I'd be fine with it if I knew that a PEK transit wouldn't get FUBAR'ed (and now that you have 72 hours to TWOV, you're probably OK).

Given that the LAX-PEK flights are timed for an overnight flight (which would help with the jet lag), it's tempting...
Old May 6, 2013, 8:52 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by SFO777
LOL. US inflation? Cheap dividend miles? That's the pot calling the kettle black.
I "earned" over 750K MP miles last year while flying less than 10,000 miles on UA. Thanks Chase.
I agree. The most I can get on other cards is 2% cash back. I figure UA miles are worth 2cpm, so at 1.5 miles per dollar spent on non-UA purchases, it seems like a pretty good deal.

BTW - do you use other cards to accumulate miles on other airlines. I've got a couple of million miles accumulated on Amex which are good for BA, CX, SQ, EY, etc., but I'm putting most of my current purchases on the Chase card since the earning rate seems to be better.
Old May 6, 2013, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by 5khours
BTW - do you use other cards to accumulate miles on other airlines. I've got a couple of million miles accumulated on Amex which are good for BA, CX, SQ, EY, etc., but I'm putting most of my current purchases on the Chase card since the earning rate seems to be better.
Yep. Amex (for SQ), Amex SPG (for AA or LH), Citi (for AA) and a bunch of Chase cards (Ink, Sapphire, etc.) for UA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.