Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Late arriving crew for a flight the next day?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2013, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Ex Plt

Can anyone explain this? I have a flight tomorrow and I received an email 19H in advance that the flight is delayed because the crew is going to be late. I am trying not to rant but the crew is late a day in advance? Really?This delay makes me miss my connection which is the real PITA.

United flight UAXXXX on May 4 is delayed and awaiting arrival of the crew.
Now departs: #:## a.m. on May 4 from gate X, Baltimore, MD (BWI)
Now arrives: #:## a.m. on May 4 at New York/Newark, NJ (EWR - Liberty)

Please be at the gate for boarding prior to the original scheduled departure time of #:## a.m., as the departure time could be revised again.

Information is subject to change. For up-to-the-minute flight status information, go to united.com, use the United mobile app or check flight information screens at the airport.
Old May 3, 2013, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
You have 19 hours to call UA based on this delay and fix the flight at no charge. I find zero issues with that.
Old May 3, 2013, 12:45 pm

Programs: LH SEN, SQ Gold
Would you prefer to learn about the delay no earlier than upon arrival at the airport?

I find it actually pretty good customer service to inform the customer in the very moment a problem becomes known - instead of last minute.

Crews have schedules and turnarounds, max duty times and such, ya know?
Old May 3, 2013, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aacharya
You have 19 hours to call UA based on this delay and fix the flight at no charge. I find zero issues with that.
Thanks for the commentary. If I had asked about changing my flight, your answer would have been greatly appreciated albeit something I am already working on. I asked about a crew arriving late for a flight a day away.

Cheers -

Agree on the CS but it's only your last line is helpful since that is information that I asked about.

Has this happened to others - a crew designated as late a day in advance?

Originally Posted by TT-Jones
Would you prefer to learn about the delay no earlier than upon arrival at the airport?

I find it actually pretty good customer service to inform the customer in the very moment a problem becomes known - instead of last minute.

Crews have schedules and turnarounds, max duty times and such, ya know?

Last edited by iluv2fly; May 3, 2013 at 3:44 pm Reason: merge
Old May 3, 2013, 12:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The snippets which carriers use are not intended to provide deep background. "Late arriving crew" in this particular context likely means that UAX already knows that the crew schedule for this flight will arrive too late to operate the flight tomorrow. FAA rules strictly limit the # of hours worked and mandate crew rest periods.

As to the PITA, namely missing the connection at PHL, if you have no other good connections, you can ask for a refund of the segment (not a voucher, but a credit to the original form of payment) and take the train to PHL in less than 2 hours.
Old May 3, 2013, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
There is an active weather waiver in Chicago today, it's likely that your flight tomorrow is a down-the-line flight impacted by the weather in Chicago today. Crew backed up somewhere because of delays in Chicago and due to FAA regs, etc., they may have needed to swap crews which means the new crew is coming from another location, etc, etc. Not that uncommon when weather waivers are in effect at the hubs.
Old May 3, 2013, 12:58 pm
Original Poster

Thank you

It's part of a mileage run and I am having a hard time making the rest of the flights work [part of the risk of a complicated routing for miles]. I understand that a direct is better at this point but my last UA generated route change was more hassle than it was worth trying to get original routing credit. UA CS stated that it would be a one-time exception and no more.

Cheers

Originally Posted by Often1
The snippets which carriers use are not intended to provide deep background. "Late arriving crew" in this particular context likely means that UAX already knows that the crew schedule for this flight will arrive too late to operate the flight tomorrow. FAA rules strictly limit the # of hours worked and mandate crew rest periods.

As to the PITA, namely missing the connection at PHL, if you have no other good connections, you can ask for a refund of the segment (not a voucher, but a credit to the original form of payment) and take the train to PHL in less than 2 hours.
Originally Posted by flyerdude88
There is an active weather waiver in Chicago today, it's likely that your flight tomorrow is a down-the-line flight impacted by the weather in Chicago today. Crew backed up somewhere because of delays in Chicago and due to FAA regs, etc., they may have needed to swap crews which means the new crew is coming from another location, etc, etc. Not that uncommon when weather waivers are in effect at the hubs.
Old May 3, 2013, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by thegrailer
Agree on the CS but it's only your last line is helpful since that is information that I asked about.

Has this happened to others - a crew designated as late a day in advance?
It is reported on here quite often and the same answer that has been explained above is repeated every time. A crew is required to have a certain amount of time OFF DUTY before they can fly an airplane again. UA is notifying you in advance about this situation and other FTer's are explaining why this occurs.

If this inconvenience is too much to bear, call res and see what they have to offer. Good luck!

Added after original post--- I see you called them and got some sort of assistance!
Old May 3, 2013, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by thegrailer
Thank you

It's part of a mileage run and I am having a hard time making the rest of the flights work [part of the risk of a complicated routing for miles]. I understand that a direct is better at this point but my last UA generated route change was more hassle than it was worth trying to get original routing credit. UA CS stated that it would be a one-time exception and no more.

Cheers
I'm fascinated that you criticize all of our helpfulness, due to reasons that you didn't post in the initial e-mail. You could've noted that you were already working on a re-route or on an MR. But now you claim you care more about "why is the crew going to be late" than the missed connection.
Old May 3, 2013, 1:10 pm

I'm fascinated that you criticize all of our helpfulness, due to reasons that you didn't post in the initial e-mail. You could've noted that you were already working on a re-route or on an MR. But now you claim you care more about "why is the crew going to be late" than the missed connection.
"Ditto!"

For some reason the airplane that the OP wants to fly on ain't going to fly when it was originally scheduled & it don't hardly matter WHY, cause it ain't happening. Being a 1k or a 99Z won't get this aircraft out any earlier. Suck it up and move on to "Plan B"! Actually, I think that UA was being very customer service oriented by notifying the OP in advance so that he can make other arrangements!
Old May 3, 2013, 1:19 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus Premier Silver
Agreed. We're not mind readers here.

I would actually prefer to find out this information in advance than get a big surprise at the airport when I am checking in. I am no UA cheerleader, but in this case, I think they did the right thing by the customer.
Old May 3, 2013, 1:34 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Quimbydog
Agreed. We're not mind readers here.

I would actually prefer to find out this information in advance than get a big surprise at the airport when I am checking in. I am no UA cheerleader, but in this case, I think they did the right thing by the customer.
+1
and why bother helping the OP answer the question when he's being snippy about it.
Old May 3, 2013, 5:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Maybe UA should stop posting a reason. The aircraft is either going to fly or it's not. Seems as though posting a reason becomes a source of controversy of its own.
Old May 3, 2013, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
I actually find the OP's original question pretty clear. Wanted to know how a delay 19 hours in advance is possible. He wasn't asking about how to reroute.

I find many of the responses overly critical.
Old May 3, 2013, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1
Yup. There's another delayed flight somewhere that is carrying the crew that your plane needs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.