Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

(Re-)Introducing Subscriptions for United Club, Economy Plus and More

(Re-)Introducing Subscriptions for United Club, Economy Plus and More

Old May 4, 2013, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by mgcsinc
Does this seem ominous to anyone else?

See: https://www.delta.com/content/www/en....html#Discount
UA Insider stated that E+ subscription pricing would fluctuate based on region, not premier level. Why would that indicate anything like DL or what may happen to Golds?
Old May 4, 2013, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by joshwex90
UA Insider stated that E+ subscription pricing would fluctuate based on region, not premier level. Why would that indicate anything like DL or what may happen to Golds?
Why would statused M+ members desire to purchase an E+ subscription?
Old May 4, 2013, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by dsquared37
Silvers
Old May 4, 2013, 8:17 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by mre5765
Assuming one can book a companion into E+ for free, then for someone who does under 50K miles per year might find this to be a good deal.

The pmUA E+ annual option included a companion.
That's why the new option does not. It's a very simple plan they follow in Chicago or Houston - see what UA did & do the opposite.
Old May 4, 2013, 8:38 pm

E+ section of the site (and pricing for this 1K) with a base price of $499:

Old May 5, 2013, 1:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dsquared37
Other than a Silver, they wouldn't. I was responding to the post that UA Insider's post indicated that UA was heading in the direction of DL, and not going to give free E+ to Golds. That could've been implied had the post read "pricing will based on PREMIER level." Since it didn't, I was simply saying that inference doesn't make sense
Old May 5, 2013, 8:26 am

Programs: UA -GS 4.5 MM, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Diamond
Economy Plus: We’re also re-introducing the option to purchase Economy Plus for a full year, with the notable difference that we’ll have different pricing and eligibility by region (domestic 48, North America, intra-Asia, etc.).

This means fewer fee economy plus seats for the frequent flyers. Unfortunately this is one more money generator for UA that further disenfranchises their true frequent fliers. I don't like the sound of this one.
Old May 5, 2013, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Were there complaints on the UA board before the merger about E+ subscriptions?
Old May 5, 2013, 8:43 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Initially some general grumbling about "selling" of elite benefits. But many seem to understand the revenue opportunity as long as it remained an elite benefit.

Later there were increasing concerns about E+ filling up and creating access issue for late bookings -- not too bad of a problem when introduced since load factors were lower and enough capacity existed for everyone, but toward the end complaints about good E+ access in the last 2-3 days was becoming an issue for some (perhaps leading to the lack of E+ access for Silvers at booking).
Old May 5, 2013, 10:15 am

Programs: UA 1K
Take a look at the DL policy, and think about what I might be suggesting.
Old May 5, 2013, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I see what they have. However, I don't see how this post by UA Insider has anything to do with DL's policy. You can say all you want how UA may change their policy to be more in line with DL, but that has nothing to do with this thread.
That being said, E+ and EC are different products. There are many more E+ seats than EC seats on given planes:
744: EC = 12.8% of Y seats; E+ = 33.33% of Y seats
772: EC = 16% of Y seats; E+ = 33% of Y seats on sCO 772, >50% on IPTE 772

EC has more recline, padding, free spirits, etc. E+ simply has extra legroom. So they're not quite the same anyways
Old May 5, 2013, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by mgcsinc
Take a look at the DL policy, and think about what I might be suggesting.
Instead of rumor and innuendo, why not just post what you think?

- AA has Choice, Choice Plus, and Choice Essential...

http://www.aa.com/i18n/utility/bundles.jsp

- You have ominously pointed to DL's policy.

What do YOU think UA is going to do?
Old May 5, 2013, 11:55 am

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
I don't think anyone who is being fair can complain about UA's legitimate attempts to make money, such as through selling E+ subscriptions.

During the period after the merger was announced but when UA and CO were still operating as separate airlines, UA became quite aggressive in their marketing of E+, possibly in an attempt to show its value to CO management. At the time I was glad to see this marketing push, since there was apprehension about whether E+ would survive the merger.

Although the CO folks who now run UA have done a lot to ruin what was once a great airline, at least they did keep E+!
Old May 5, 2013, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by LarkSFO
Instead of rumor and innuendo, why not just post what you think?

- AA has Choice, Choice Plus, and Choice Essential...

http://www.aa.com/i18n/utility/bundles.jsp

- You have ominously pointed to DL's policy.

What do YOU think UA is going to do?
Those AA options don't really have anything to do with seating...the last posts have been comparing access by elite tier for E+ vs. MCE vs. EC.
Old May 5, 2013, 12:39 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by dcsnowwake
check in these days with almost 100 percent load factor, E+ is gone for them, or its a middle, or keep your aisle in the back.
Even 1K is having problems with decent E+ seats. My LAX-EWR slight next week is sold out in F (all seats assigned), all E+ isle seats gone, all but 1 E+ window seats gone.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.