Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

(Re-)Introducing Subscriptions for United Club, Economy Plus and More

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

(Re-)Introducing Subscriptions for United Club, Economy Plus and More

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2016, 11:08 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by aacharya
... If the OP is calling MPSC for a favor to Silver, asking (instead of a UA offer) how one could also shoot for Gold (buy-up, challenge, etc) is not risking anything. Likely low chance, but it's the best he or she has.
But what would be the gain of buying-up for Gold and then still buying the subscription (since the rest of the group still needs that)?
Old May 2, 2016, 11:21 am

There really is only one, maybe two pax who really 'need' E+, so the thinking is that once spending that money the subscription is sort of a bargain.

If I could get gold as a favor that would be great but what is my angle to ask for it? I guess could mention that just spent $7k on tickets.
Old May 2, 2016, 11:44 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by airfly56
... If I could get gold as a favor that would be great but what is my angle to ask for it? I guess could mention that just spent $7k on tickets.
While you can always ask, UA is not known for doing such deals at that level -- add a zero maybe.
Old May 3, 2016, 4:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
While you can always ask, UA is not known for doing such deals at that level -- add a zero maybe.
$70K and only Gold?!
Old May 3, 2016, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by airfly56
I have 6 people on an itinerary with 11 hr flights where the E+ is costing about $200 each so there should be a value for the subscription for us. Cost would be about $2400 for round trip and the subscription cost is $1099....

Maybe a funny question- but are there any ways to get a discount on the subscription? Any promo codes or such?
Yes - kind of funny to me, because it sounds like your subscription is a pretty good discount, no?
Old May 3, 2016, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by emcampbe
Yes - kind of funny to me, because it sounds like your subscription is a pretty good discount, no?
The subscription for global (all routes) for whole reservation (traveler plus up to 8 additional pax) is indeed $1099.

Base is $499, and add $200 for global and add $400 for full reservation
Old Dec 17, 2016, 8:10 pm

E+ subscription on award ticket book via partner?

Question guys, if I booked 3 economy tickets via Avianca. Will I be able to get E+ and seat selection if I buy the E+ annual subscription from United? I figure its better to pay $1099 for 1 year than $750 for 3 people for one use, United is charging nearly $250 for that.

Last edited by mattack4000; Dec 17, 2016 at 8:21 pm
Old Dec 17, 2016, 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by mattack4000
Question guys, if I booked 3 economy tickets via Avianca. Will I be able to get E+ and seat selection if I buy the E+ annual subscription from United? I figure its better to pay $1099 for 1 year than $750 for 3 people for one use, United is charging nearly $250 for that.
That's a tricky question because your access to E+ using a subscription is gated by MP number included on the ticket. Not sure if that can be done on an AV award ticket -- if it can can you are fine. If not, you try to call an get manual access with an UA agent.

The subscriber’s MileagePlus® number must be included in the reservation in order to receive the subscription benefits.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 4:13 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus
I'm thinking about buying myself a Club membership for next year. Any opinions on what method makes the most sense: cash, miles, or credit card? I already have an Explorer card and would consider buying up to the Club card if it offers equivalent travel benefits but it's not clear to me whether it does. I don't know whether a total 67K miles is more cost-effective than just dropping $500 (or whatever it is).

Also, any idea how soon any of these methods would take effect? I have a few one-time passes but I suspect that clubs at EWR and DEN won't be accepting them when I travel for the holidays on Wednesday 12/21.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by dc89
I'm thinking about buying myself a Club membership for next year. Any opinions on what method makes the most sense: cash, miles, or credit card? I already have an Explorer card and would consider buying up to the Club card if it offers equivalent travel benefits but it's not clear to me whether it does. I don't know whether a total 67K miles is more cost-effective than just dropping $500 (or whatever it is). ...
At free for many for the first year and annually $395 the Chase Club card is the cheapest approach if your credit situation allows. and it easily has better benefits than the Explorer card, http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...5-forward.html

Miles at under 0.60 cpm is an exceptionally poor use of miles except for those that have so many miles they can not use them all. 67K miles is more than enough miles for USA-Eur economy saver, easy worth $800 or more.

Originally Posted by dc89
... any idea how soon any of these methods would take effect? I have a few one-time passes but I suspect that clubs at EWR and DEN won't be accepting them when I travel for the holidays on Wednesday 12/21.
The miles and cash approach can be days to activity (and can be done at entry), the credit card can take a week or two.

The cash approach can credit the cost of a recent purchased entry.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 11:55 am

Programs: United MileagePlus
Thank you! I'm going to apply for the credit card and cross my fingers that I can use up my one-time passes on this trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.