Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

(Re-)Introducing Subscriptions for United Club, Economy Plus and More

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

(Re-)Introducing Subscriptions for United Club, Economy Plus and More

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2013, 12:56 pm

Programs: UA, AA, HH
Originally Posted by Lori_Q
(e.g., Don't attempt to chat endlessly with the grumpy lady in the window seat ).
This is eerie. SFO-EWR red-eye on 6/1 night. The only difference was that grumpy lady in the middle seat, man in the window. They chatted more that I've spoken in the last 10 years.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 3:58 pm

Programs: UA1K, 1MM,AA Exec. Platinum, Global Entry, Nexus
United Club??

I"m based out of LAX. I do my fair share of travel >100K/year in a combination of Intl/domestic. I am a 1K 1MM flyer. For the past few years I have not renewed my United Club pass b/c I believed it was not worth the money. Prior to that I typically obtained membership by using miles. At my status level the miles cost was worth it. Recently, I was told, you can once again get club access by using miles. I went on .bomb and saw that it was 50K for an annual pass. It did not appear my status got me a better rate. Can anyone confirm or deny that please?
thanks
Old Jun 13, 2013, 3:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Click on the link to purchase it and you'll see a revised rate based on your status.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 4:12 pm

Programs: UA1K, 1MM,AA Exec. Platinum, Global Entry, Nexus

$400 or 50,000 miles. Is it more for non status fliers????
Old Jun 13, 2013, 4:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
As a non status guy, the price is $500 or 65,000 miles.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 4:27 pm

Programs: DL DM, IHG Spire, Mariott Platinum (UA SI) Avis First, National Executive
Originally Posted by tomj888
$400 or 50,000 miles. Is it more for non status fliers????
That's another case where UA is really over charging in miles.

Due to a recent IRROPS issue I was offered either a $75 voucher or 3000 miles. With that ratio, $400 should be 16K miles. I understand the sell high and buy low, but it should not be any more than 32K miles. That is 2x their valuation... And if you figure out that 50K miles is good for a free Y TATL ticket (usually around $1K), that club fee is extremely steep (in miles)
Old Jun 13, 2013, 4:37 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Agreed. Miles makes no sense at all for UC at those rates.
Old Jun 16, 2013, 6:51 pm

Programs: A3 Gold
Subscription upgrade:

Subscriptions may be upgraded at any time.
Upgraded subscriptions are valid for one year from the time of upgrade.
Any unused value from the previous subscription will be applied to the upgrade price.
How should one interpret this paragraph? Suppose I initially buy a North American subscription + 1 companion on Jan 1 2014 for $700. Can I upgrade to global on July 1, 2014 by paying $200 difference? If I upgrade, is my entire subscription now valid until July 2014, or the just the global part???

This looks like a pretty decent deal for families. Wife and I fly SEA-PHL a few time per year, not enough to get Silver. I just priced out E+ upgrade for SEA-IAH-PHL-IAH-SEA and it comes out to $440 for two people. The subscription will pay for itself after second trip.
Old Jun 20, 2013, 9:42 am

Programs: MP,MR Silver,Avis
Sounds to me like, since the year is half over, you would essentially get a 50% ($350) credit towards the purchase of a new global subscription that started on July 1st.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 8:43 am

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Princess Elite
Long time lurker, first time poster (in this forum).

Can I use an E+ subscription to upgrade from E to E+ and then once it's confirmed change my FF # back to AC or once I do the upgrade to E+ am I stuck crediting with UA.

I have a few TransPac flights coming up with UA and I'd love to save the $$ by using an E+ sub, but I need the credit to AC if I want to keep SE100K status for next year.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 9:12 am

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by yyz_atc_qq
Long time lurker, first time poster (in this forum).

Can I use an E+ subscription to upgrade from E to E+ and then once it's confirmed change my FF # back to AC or once I do the upgrade to E+ am I stuck crediting with UA.

I have a few TransPac flights coming up with UA and I'd love to save the $$ by using an E+ sub, but I need the credit to AC if I want to keep SE100K status for next year.
Welcome to FT.

There is a risk of losing your E+ seat if you change your FF#. I would wait until close to flight time before you change the FF#.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 1:25 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Princess Elite
Originally Posted by tods27
Welcome to FT.

There is a risk of losing your E+ seat if you change your FF#. I would wait until close to flight time before you change the FF#.
I don't want to invest the money into a non-refundable E+ sub if it will force me to credit to UA.

Anyone else able to give insight??
Old Jul 25, 2013, 1:48 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
Agreed. Miles makes no sense at all for UC at those rates.
If you use all your miles on travel/upgrades every year, this might be true.

If you accrue any miles, like most, then I think the valuation of roughly 1 cpm is correct. Miles are all post tax however, which makes them a clear value over cash in this case.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 2:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
If you use all your miles on travel/upgrades every year, this might be true.

If you accrue any miles, like most, then I think the valuation of roughly 1 cpm is correct.
I think that most folks can find a way to gift trips or otherwise spend miles -- if not depleting them entirely each year -- that gives at least 1.8 CPM's as an effective value. 1 CPM is very low.

Originally Posted by LaserSailor
Miles are all post tax however, which makes them a clear value over cash in this case.
This doesn't make any sense to me. The dollars you spend are post-tax too...
Old Jul 25, 2013, 2:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K and MM
PE Upgrade taken back

Originally Posted by travelmbs
We tried the subscription in the past, it did not work. As many have noted, PE seats not always available & in our case, there was no recourse for us as subscribers except "be happy that we had seats at all on this over-booked flight". UA did not refund the money for the non-PE seats and what was worse is that we had confirmed PE seats trans-pacific and they took them away...my guess is that they sold the upgrade so essentially they double dipped, and we lost. Someday all of this will catch up to UA.
My experience was like that. On a flight last year, I got to the kiosk and my seat had changed from the boarding pass I printed out but had lost the day before. I was in a middle E- seat after paying $75 for the privilege of an exit row on a EWR-SFO flight. When I asked about the refund, the gate agent said it wouldn't be automatically refunded and I actually had to affirmatively contact customer service for a refund. Hows that for screwy customer service. We charge you, then don't give you what you paid for, and then you have to initiate the refund for not giving what you wanted.

I did notice that on a recent flight that I had paid for E+ then rebooked on a later flight, the credit automatically appeared. But not clear to me if an affirmative refund request is required when you pay for E+ but then you end up getting bumped out of the E+ seat but still take the flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.