FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Consolidated UA changes you will / will not like - Frequent Flyer's edition (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1463698-consolidated-ua-changes-you-will-will-not-like-frequent-flyers-edition.html)

jlivengo May 2, 2013 1:31 pm

Consolidated UA changes you will / will not like - Frequent Flyer's edition

I'm wondering if there's a consolidated thread that highlights the improvements and/or degradation of services to elites since the merger. There's a ton of threads regarding specific topics but there's a lot going on and sometimes these little tweak's have broader impacts. I feel it would have more of an impact when seeing a consolidated list. Only looking for tangible elements, like the fare class rules for GPU's, saver award elimination, elimination (and re-introduction) of expert mode and so on.

Some of you will feel that certain elements benefit some while impacting lower elite tiers. Not trying to take sides, just highlight anything that's positive or negative to any elite flyer.

UA changes you will "not" like
  • GPU/SWU only available on W fare class or higher
  • Change fee increased to $200/300
  • Severe reduction in saver award availability (Changes to O/ON)
  • TOD Upgrades
  • Expert Flyer R/RN search deactivated
  • Silver elites no-longer have access to E+ until check-in
  • GF/BF miles & co-pay upgrades considered used if any portion of international itinerary upgraded
  • Silver Elites downgraded to 1 bag @ 50 lbs
  • CC holders boarding with elites (Group 2)
  • The food, oh the food is horrible
  • Premier Qualifying Dollars (PQD)
  • No extra elite award inventory (IN > I) even though this is still stated as a benefit

UA changes you will like
  • GPU/RPU will be valid longer
  • Expert mode reactivated
  • Same day change policy
  • Marriott Gold

ryman554 May 2, 2013 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by jlivengo (Post 20688537)
I'm wondering if there's a consolidated thread that highlights the improvements and/or degradation of services to elites since the merger. There's a ton of threads regarding specific topics but there's a lot going on and sometimes these little tweak's have broader impacts. I feel it would have more of an impact when seeing a consolidated list. Only looking for tangible elements, like the fare class rules for GPU's, saver award elimination, elimination (and re-introduction) of expert mode and so on.

Some of you will feel that certain elements benefit some while impacting lower elite tiers. Not trying to take sides, just highlight anything that's positive or negative to any elite flyer.

UA changes you will "not" like
  • GPU/SWU only available on W fare class or higher
  • Change fee increased to $200/300
  • Severe reduction in saver award availability (Changes to O/ON)
  • TOD Upgrades
  • Expert mode deactivated
  • Silver elites no-longer have access to E+ until check-in
  • GF/BF miles & co-pay upgrades considered used if any portion of international itinerary upgraded

UA changes you will like

If you really want to do this, then you might want to consider PMUA MP and PMCO OP separately.

FYI -- in pmua, there is no change to GPU (SWU) fare redemption requirements. Also, there was no "enhanced" IN/ON inventory for elites. Only XN.

UA-NYC May 2, 2013 1:36 pm

IBTL

No pillows in F
Domestic food degradation
Slow Wifi roll-out
Mileage clawbacks
Lack of promos

paule123 May 2, 2013 1:50 pm

for the "not like" list:
Silver Elites downgraded to 1 bag @ 50 lbs.

for the "like" list:
PP card holders now in Group 2 instead of Group 3

LoganHero May 2, 2013 2:00 pm

Why live in the past? Why not let people judge the merits of the UA program as it is now?

RichardInSF May 2, 2013 2:00 pm

This is a misleading thread, being started today, it reads like there is something new being mentioned. There isn't.

jlivengo May 2, 2013 2:05 pm

Not trying to only look at the negative, trying to highlight the positive changes as well. From my experience, UA has been executing incremental reduction in services and every once in a while will throw out a bone. This trend will likely continue.

Originally Posted by RichardInSF (Post 20688740)
This is a misleading thread, being started today, it reads like there is something new being mentioned. There isn't.

Having "Consolidated" in the thread leads you to believe there's something new?

PV_Premier May 2, 2013 2:07 pm

+ --> same day change policy

for many in this audience moving cc holders into group 2 is a minus not a plus

in fact the whole boarding process is a big minus to most on this discussion board.

mikel51 May 3, 2013 5:49 pm

As a GS member, I really like the service they provide, but I am getting really sick of:
-Regional jets on flights longer than 90 min and
-Fewer flights--when you miss a connection you can be stranded for hours

jonforsyth May 3, 2013 6:04 pm

still paying same day change fees while in Europe is a big minus

unavaca May 3, 2013 6:22 pm

IBTL.

Your first list has some incorrect items:
W class on SWUs is nothing new. It's been the PMUA way for at least 4 years.
Expert mode was temporarily disabled. It's currently available.

Partner award books are now available online. PMUA had a terrible online award booking engine.

njcommodore May 3, 2013 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by jlivengo (Post 20688537)
UA changes you will like
  • Same day change policy

SDC policy was from the merger. Are we re-hashing the merger or changes since the merger?

IBTL.

WineCountryUA May 3, 2013 7:21 pm

from an earlier thread -- some negative items

- Silver losing E+ access at booking
- Silver lost 2 bag allowance
- Reduction in RDM bonus for Plat (75%) and Gold (50%)
- Reduction in MM benefits (Annual regionals/GPU, RDM bonus, Lifetime UC for 2MM, …)
- Four non-fare limited GPUs (PMCO) replaced with six fare limited GPUs (PMUA)
- Loss of FlexEQMs for higher than Plat status (not real a change, but was taken as a lost benefit by many)
- Change in regional earning (2/qtr to 2 @75K+2 more per 25K)
- Dis-Empowered elite phone agents

cyclogenesis May 3, 2013 7:24 pm

Like:
*Purchase of new RJs with more F space (coming)

Dislike:
*Gold in the same boarding group as silver and CC holders

uastarflyer May 3, 2013 8:15 pm

Consolidated UA changes you will / will not like - Frequent Flyer's edition

Simple: 100% of the changes are bad. A few of which were rescinded back to PMUA policy.

Nothing is a net positive.

IBTL