Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated UA changes you will / will not like - Frequent Flyer's edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 30, 2013, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jlivengo
Might as well make it a wiki since chances are there will be more devaluations coming along and it's easier to see all in one place:

NEGATIVE Changes:
GPU/SWU only available on W fare class or higher (compared to sCO GPU's)
Change fee increased to $200/300
Severe reduction in saver award availability (Changes to O/ON)
TOD Upgrades
Expert Flyer R/RN search deactivated
Silver elites no-longer have access to E+ until check-in
GF/BF miles & co-pay upgrades considered used if any portion of international itinerary upgraded
Silver Elites downgraded to 1 bag @ 50 lbs
CC holders boarding with elites (Group 2)
The food, oh the food is horrible
Premier Qualifying Dollars (PQD)
No extra elite award inventory (IN > I) even though this is still stated as a benefit
Reduction in RDM bonus for Plat (75%) and Gold (50%)
Reduction in MM benefits (Annual regionals/GPU, RDM bonus, Lifetime UC for 2MM, …)
Change in regional earning (2/qtr to 2 @75K+2 more per 25K)
Awards with *A partners now cost more than similar awards flown only on UA metal.

POSITIVE Changes:
GPU/RPU will be valid longer
Same day change policy
Marriott Gold
Inherit status and associated benefit of sponsoring elite for award redemption
No more *net blocking
Award change fees lowered
Print Wikipost

Consolidated UA changes you will / will not like - Frequent Flyer's edition

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2013, 8:56 pm

Programs: UA1MM*GL/1K, AA, BnVy PlatL, HH Silver,
Dislike:

Elimination of VGML, AVML for paid domestic F
Elimination of anything resembling F domestic service
CO surly employees and their "we don't care, FU service" culture
Craptacularly uncomfortable CO seats and planes.
Rock hard CO F seats with nothing ergonomic about them.
Antiquated CO IT systems in capable of handling basic airline functions, like companion upgrades, or saving a seat assignment, or not screwing up your reservation, or...
Phone systems that disconnect you when the said antiquated airline seems to be too busy.
CEO who wants "to run a business" but doesn't realize it's the 21st century...see under-investment in IT, elimination of healthy/ethical meal choices... And repeat...

Experiencing new airlines and realizing many of them are significantly better than COua.
Old May 3, 2013, 9:21 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
... Nothing is a net positive. ....
While the net sum of the changes of merger is one thing, it is hardly rational to say there have been no positive changes.

For the PMUA flyer, the "new" SDC is positive. In generally, many would consider the present food (on the whole) better than PMUA. More partner availability online for awards. No MPM.

For the economy PMCO flyer, E+ is an improvement. More flexible ORC, award OJs, OW awards,

For all, the extended life of GPU/RPUs is a positive. (the availability of R space is a different issue.) Better overall network (putting on flak jacket -- note no mention of 787).

A few (too few) other items, but "Nothing is a net positive" is ignoring the few gems that are wrong to deny.

Another past thread on this subject -- http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-ua-vs-co.html

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 3, 2013 at 9:32 pm Reason: past thread
Old May 3, 2013, 9:26 pm

Programs: UA G
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
Simple: 100% of the changes are bad. A few of which were rescinded back to PMUA policy.

Nothing is a net positive.
I, too, yearn for the PMUA award booking site. /s
Old May 4, 2013, 1:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Positives

No more *net blocking, can't believe no one brought it up
PMCO BF which I much prefer to PMUA C (YMMV)
Website where I can look for *A award availability, don't forget we used to refer to PMUA website as .bomb
Better GPU success ex-EWR than ex-ORD for LHR, NRT and HKG (YMMV)
SDC (I use it almost every week, money saved for my company probably approach 10K USD)
EWR hub, as a ORD-LGA commuter, it gives me more options for international travel, I know everyone hate EWR but it's hard to say it sucks more than LGA

Neutral

CPU success, 95% of my domestic is ORD-LGA, upgrade success is more influenced by type of aircraft and number of F seats and whether I travel an an elite heavy time, my upgrade success is slightly up this year, but not sure I can read anything into that

Negative

DirecTV, I hate having a TV screen in my face that doesn't have a simple off switch
Mystery changes to existing reservations, only happened twice but annoying to have to call in to get something fixed that shouldn't have gotten broken in the first place
Post 3/3 drama, seemed to die down in a couple of months, but it was annoying when it happened

Usually when booking my ORD-LGA commute, my order of preference is PMUA 757 (not sure their still flying that route), PMCO 737, then any PMUA 320, 319, RJ in that order. Simply because a greater number of F seats improves upgrade chances. Not the domestic F is all that. More comfortable chair and free adult beverages, but otherwise I'm perfectly content in an E+ aisle seat.

I'm a 1K before and after, and used to be an AA EXP, those are my thoughts.
Old May 4, 2013, 1:51 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Add CPU and general upgrade priority changes since the cutover to the "don't like" list.
Old May 4, 2013, 2:06 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
CHOICE of pre-departure beverage.... FOR THE WIN!

Old Jun 2, 2013, 9:22 am

Changes I would like

Not sure if we already have a consolidated "Changes I Would Like" topic. Here are a few easy ones that shouldn't cost UA all that much.

- A bag status page on united.com. Type in a bag tag number and see all the times/locations the tag was scanned.

- In business class on overnight flights, FAs to offer mid-flight snacks to passengers in window seats who are awake and don't want to climb over their sleeping seat mates to get the snacks themselves.

- Allow families with strollers and car seats to use the priority lane at any time after groups 1 and 2 have finished boarding (if those families are in group 3 or higher)
Old Jun 2, 2013, 10:06 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA, LH, BMI, BA, HHilton
Not some bad ideas...
Old Jun 2, 2013, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by flyingnosh

- Allow families with strollers and car seats to use the priority lane at any time after groups 1 and 2 have finished boarding (if those families are in group 3 or higher)
A change that would be abused beyond belief.
Old Jun 2, 2013, 10:29 am

Programs: UA 1K, Priority Platinum, Marriot Gold, Delta Platinum
Web Check In for all UA itineraries
Old Jun 2, 2013, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
Web Check In for all UA itineraries
this is supremely annoying for me. I'm not sure why but UA has de-synced me a number of times on my passport-ffp mapping. AS someone flying out of YYZ using NEXUS, I can arrive 45 minutes out no problem, unless I have this no checkin allowed nonsense.

- In business class on overnight flights, FAs to offer mid-flight snacks to passengers in window seats who are awake and don't want to climb over their sleeping seat mates to get the snacks themselves.
is there a problem pushing the call button and asking them for a nosh?

It would be nice if UA would upgrade domestic F soft product. I'd appreciate edible food.
Old Jun 2, 2013, 11:54 am

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Originally Posted by flyingnosh
You can just press the flight attendant call button and accomplish the same thing...

The argument can be made that this method is less disruptive to sleepers than carts going up and down the isle. Plus I am not sure this is necessary on flights of <7 hours with departure and arrival services already scheduled.

SunLover
Old Jun 2, 2013, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by mike1968
Experiencing new airlines and realizing many of them are significantly better than COua.
^ Biggest positive of the merger for me was discovering AirTran business class last year.
Old Jun 2, 2013, 1:06 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Award tickets

When I redeem my miles for my family, they can have my status and associated benefits (e.g., my son had a hotel stay covered after his flight was cancelled). Hope that this benefit will last. Good travels.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA IK, Hyatt Plat, Avis PP
Dusting this thread off based on the Expert Flyer news. RIP...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.