Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Any Way to Find R Without Checking Each Day?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2013, 7:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM

I am looking to use some GPU's in January, 2014 going from PHL-BKK. I know I need to find Trans Pacific flights with R availability. I have started with each day in January and looked on each day to NRT from EWR, IAH, IAD, ORD, SEA, LAX and SFO. It is a tedious process. Any way to find R without this tiring process?

Thanks
Old Apr 5, 2013, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by TonyBurr
I am looking to use some GPU's in January, 2014 going from PHL-BKK. I know I need to find Trans Pacific flights with R availability. I have started with each day in January and looked on each day to NRT from EWR, IAH, IAD, ORD, SEA, LAX and SFO. It is a tedious process. Any way to find R without this tiring process?

Thanks
Signup for ExpertFlyer (http://www.expertflyer.com/) and setup "award" alerts for the dates and routes you want. It will e-mail you when they become available. Well worth the price (especially for SDCs and MRs as well).
Old Apr 5, 2013, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Expert Flyer - but setting alerts for all those gateways will only cover 4 days (you get 30 with a paid membership)
Old Apr 5, 2013, 8:21 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K 2 MM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
Might also check IAD-HNL-NRT
Old Apr 5, 2013, 10:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp

Thanks
Just book the SEA-NRT flight on the old 777 plane. It is an easy upgrade since the seats are really old and most people would rather fly on the lie-flat business class seats used on other routes.
Old May 2, 2013, 1:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)

Thanks
I just booked BKK for November. Saw fair bit of R availability SFO to NRT and ICN on specific flights. They'll open one flight wide open (R9) amidst a sea of R0s. These are mostly 744s. And yes, ExpertFlyer is your best friend.

ps. I just ran a quick search 1/8 outbound, 1/14 return and there's R availability up the wazoo, including both nonstops out of NRT on the return.

pps. EWR-NRT is also showing R9 in both directions.

Book 'em, Dano!
Old May 2, 2013, 1:37 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Look For Z9

When doing a search like this, sometimes it is just better to book a flight when you see good connections (i.e. minimum total travel time) if there is Z9 available.

I fly to BKK a few times a year and I have NEVER missed a Y to J upgrade using this strategy, combined with generally picking days e.g. TUE/WED/THU which have lighter business travel.

Somewhere there is a thread that walks you through the tricks to maximize your upgrade chances. Anybody have the link?
Old May 2, 2013, 3:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by zombietooth
When doing a search like this, sometimes it is just better to book a flight when you see good connections (i.e. minimum total travel time) if there is Z9 available.

I fly to BKK a few times a year and I have NEVER missed a Y to J upgrade using this strategy, combined with generally picking days e.g. TUE/WED/THU which have lighter business travel.
Interesting. So what this suggests is that United's yield management software does a pretty good job predicting the flights that will have lots of unsold J seats (the ones where they're willing to sell them cheap).
Old May 2, 2013, 5:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by zombietooth
Slight tweak - just remember P9 is the "new" Z9
Old May 2, 2013, 10:13 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by Time traveller
Just book the SEA-NRT flight on the old 777 plane. It is an easy upgrade since the seats are really old and most people would rather fly on the lie-flat business class seats used on other routes.
By Jan 2014 all the conversions should be done, and the old-config should be confronted only on HNL routes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.