Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Some Paid Upgrades Count Towards PQD & mileage bonus and some DON'T!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 8, 2015, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
One of the more confusing aspects of cash upgrades is "does this upgrade get premium cabin mileage bonus and is the fee included in PQD?"

The best assumption is no bonus and fee is not included in PQD but there are some cases where there will be a premium cabin bonus and amount will count toward PQD.

There are multiple cash upgrade paths and different ones are offered at different times (and can be quite hard to separate).

The key is what is the new fare basis after the upgrade. Note R, RN, P, PN, ZN, ON, A and others have been reported.
  • Many of the upgrade offers results in R/PN/ZN fare class (and post as Zx) -- so like a regular upgrade the mileage posting is based on the original fare class. The upgrade fee does not earn PQDs.
  • Others bump the fare basis to a -UP fare which reports as a P/Z/A fare class, these are now earning PQMs at the up-fared fare class and the up-fare costs earns PQDs.
  • And others book into a true P/Z/A fare basis and will earn the PQM bonus and the up-fare cost will earn PQDs.

The following are generally not eligible for PQD or bonus:
  • Pop-up upgrade immediately following purchase on united.com
  • Last minute upgrade at check-in
Generally these will be priced as $xx9 (ending in 9 dollars) and reflected on the receipt as
Additional Charges:
Date/CreditCard XXXX was charged xxx USD for the Merchandising / EDD
xxx USD for: Premium Cabin Upgrade
However the offer, in "My Reservations" via the cash method tab "Buy Up to First" under "View {Upgrade} Options" is likely to be eligible for PQDs & PQM bonus.
**** Due to UA changes in May 2018, this statement may not be relieable ****
**** This now appears to be an Upgrade Fee (no PQDs) and may book into Upgrade fare class (no extra PQMs) or into a mileage earning bonus fare class (PQMs earning). Unclear if that is a way to tell which will happen ****

Generally these will be reflected on the receipt as
Add Collect: An additional amount for the difference in fare was charged to {card} on {date}. $yyy USD per ticket for an additional total of $yyy USD was collected.
Notice the words "generally" and "likely" -- those are weasel words to protect the wiki author because of the lack of transparency in this system
For instance, some time of checkin paid upgrades that book into P, will earn PQM bonus but not earn PQDs.
Checking the actual fare basis during booking when you are given access (or using the Saudi site) is key in understanding the outcome.

UA Insider commented on this a while back, but there has been no improvement in the confusion / clarity in the meantime.
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi Everyone,

I’ve done a little bit of research on this, and I wanted to share some background on the scenario vandrei shared.

At a high level, and as a some of you have noticed more recently in the thread, the buy-up offer we sometimes present immediately upon booking an economy ticket is indeed distinct from the one presented when viewing a reservation in My Account at some point after the flight has been ticketed and confirmed. For example, the offer at booking enables customers to the flexibility to confirm an upgraded seat on a segment-by-segment basis, whereas the one in My Reservations is based on the line of flight.

Additionally, from a functional perspective, the offer immediately upon booking does not change the underlying fare basis for the original purchased fare (even though the visible fare class is reflective of the buy-up inventory), whereas the one in My Reservations results in a complete re-issue of the existing ticket. It is this aspect of the functionality which drives mileage accrual, which is based on the original purchased fare for the offer immediately after booking, but based on the new fare class for the offer in My Reservations. These policies are disclosed in each offer’s respective (and indeed, different) terms and conditions.

Longer-term, the vision is indeed to align mileage accrual policies between the two types of offers. In the meantime, the tradeoff between the two offers continues to be one of additional miles vs. the flexibility to confirm on a segment-by-segment basis.

Aaron Goldberg
Sr. Manager - Customer Experience Planning
United Airlines
Print Wikipost

Some Paid Upgrades Count Towards PQD & mileage bonus and some DON'T!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2018, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cfischer
So IMO anything that books into P and higher one would expect to be earning as P or higher. PZ, PN, RN and alikes would indicate a paid upgrade and this should not show a multiplier.
Except sometimes the sticker-style upgrade will book into P/Z/D/C/J. In the past, people have routinely gotten the bonus when that occurred, but UA appears to have made a change to try to eliminate said bonus going forward. I agree that the receipt will tell the tale; if it says ADD/COLLECT, I'd expect to get the bonus. If it says something else ("Upgrade Fee" / "Merchandizing" / etc.), I wouldn't, even if the receipt indicated 200-300% and had a P/Z/D/C/J fare class.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 4:47 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Had I known I wouldn't be earning PQD, I probably wouldn't have purchased the upgrade. In the past, post-merger, any upgrade that I bought through the My Reservations tab would automatically refare the ticket.

The buy up offer I bought was actually the fare difference and rebooked into D class on the segment I upgraded. Really disappointing that something appears to have changed to where the buy-ups are essentially the same price (fare difference) but now they're treated as if they are discounts. That seems pretty unfair.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by demkr
The buy up offer I bought was actually the fare difference and rebooked into D class on the segment I upgraded. Really disappointing that something appears to have changed to where the buy-ups are essentially the same price (fare difference) but now they're treated as if they are discounts. That seems pretty unfair.
The price changed when it switched to a cash buyup. It is frequently close or equal to the fare difference domestically (because of differential faring), but they switched to the same algorithm that generates TOD prices.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 2:46 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by findark
The price changed when it switched to a cash buyup. It is frequently close or equal to the fare difference domestically (because of differential faring), but they switched to the same algorithm that generates TOD prices.
I thought that they (UA) typically gave you a bit of a price break with a TOD hence no added PQDs?
Old Dec 13, 2018, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nomad420
I thought that they (UA) typically gave you a bit of a price break with a TOD hence no added PQDs?
The TOD is often at or near the differential for the route. This can be a discount if you're on an inexpensive fare (e.g., G), because they don't usually offer matching F fares all the way down the fare ladder. Meaning -- it's differentially priced, but only to a certain point; then, the F fare won't drop below that floor even if the Y fare does. Often, though, it's exactly the same as you would have paid if you'd bought F in the first place.
findark likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
If you know what you're doing, there are situations where the TOD offer can be an excellent deal. In the past and present, that's included double-upgrades, unmatched G fares, non-differential routes like close-in p.s., and situations where premium inventory becomes available only after the AP window has expired. The "cheap" TOD prices tend to be disproportionately reported on FT because of the perceived outrage. However, the vast majority of the time, the offer is just UA giving pax the same choice a second time on worse terms, because people who would not spend $599 on a ticket will happily pay $299 for the ticket and then another $299 to upgrade it.

Notably, the TOD algorithm has gotten a lot more sensitive to premium inventory; I've definitely seen different prices to P, Z, and J.
jsloan likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 10:52 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
I, too, am disappointed that the in-advance buy-ups like this are priced as fare differentials and give the new-fare-class' PDM, but don't count as additional PQD. I bought one the other day for ~$300 on the domestic segment of a TPAC as I have little faith in my GPU clearing that segment (IAD-SFO), and it shows "D" now, but of course the same original cost. I wish they made it easier to combine a paid-for C/D/J/Z domestic segment with a W+ international one for cases like this (sometimes I've been able to call and get it done, even when the fare rules didn't explicitly allow such a combination/split, but would never count on that).

The return domestic segment was offered at $750. For one, sorry, no, I can take a redeye in E+ and shrug it off; it's not worth $750 to sit in domestic F on a redeye for me. For another, with the higher PQD in 2019, I don't want to waste 5% of the year's PQD requirements like that!
Old Dec 15, 2018, 12:21 pm

Programs: UA GS MM SPG Platinum (Lifetime Platinum)
PQDs for upgrades after purchase (well outside of 24 hour)

Hello,

I typically upgrade flights immediately after purchase. For flights under 5 hours my company doesn't permit Business class travel. i.e, For LAX to ORD

I noticed last year that the upgrades done after booking (typically $350 -$500 per leg of a SNA-ORD or LAX-ORD) typically don't receive a PQD benefit, just the PQM benefit. Is this correct or should I be calling Mileage Plus? The PQDs are usually not an issue to maintain 1K because 1 or 2 international flights get me there no problem, but at the moment I don't have anything on the books for 2019. ++ 2019 is rasing the PQD to $15K and I usually spend $5K+ on upgrades after purchase. I'm not talking about same day cheap upgrade offers...

Thanks!
Old Dec 15, 2018, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CashN
I noticed last year that the upgrades done after booking (typically $350 -$500 per leg of a SNA-ORD or LAX-ORD) typically don't receive a PQD benefit, just the PQM benefit. Is this correct or should I be calling Mileage Plus? The PQDs are usually not an issue to maintain 1K because 1 or 2 international flights get me there no problem, but at the moment I don't have anything on the books for 2019. ++ 2019 is rasing the PQD to $15K and I usually spend $5K+ on upgrades after purchase. I'm not talking about same day cheap upgrade offers...
This is correct -- you need to call United to change the ticket to First (the change fee should be waived) in order to earn additional PQD. There are derivative risks to doing this for corporate travel, especially if you expect to change the ticket (principal risk is that UA takes over the ticket for you, so you may lose the corporate rate and built in flexibility -- usually the corporate contract allows unused tickets to be used by any employee).

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 15, 2018 at 6:05 pm Reason: split post
Old Dec 15, 2018, 12:48 pm

Programs: UA GS MM SPG Platinum (Lifetime Platinum)
Originally Posted by findark
This is correct -- you need to call United to change the ticket to First (the change fee should be waived) in order to earn additional PQD. There are derivative risks to doing this for corporate travel, especially if you expect to change the ticket (principal risk is that UA takes over the ticket for you, so you may lose the corporate rate and built in flexibility -- usually the corporate contract allows unused tickets to be used by any employee).

Thanks for the input!

To be clear, if I call up and have the ticket changed will it affect the amount charged to my corporate card on the initial purchase or change anything through how the charge reported through Concur? I use my personal CC for the upgrade...

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 15, 2018 at 6:08 pm Reason: cleanup after move
Old Dec 15, 2018, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CashN
To be clear, if I call up and have the ticket changed will it affect the amount charged to my corporate card on the initial purchase or change anything through how the charge reported through Concur? I use my personal CC for the upgrade...
The first-level accounting will be fine, and if you fly the ticket as booked you shouldn't have any problems.

The challenges here are:
(a) you have to get an agent at UA willing to "take over" the TA ticket for free (this is a HUCA situation)
(b) once the ticket has been taken over, it may be difficult or impossible for your corporate travel department to make changes on your behalf. Depending on your company, this might get you in a lot of trouble if they are unable to touch the ticket in a time of need.
(c) if you cancel the ticket, the credit will now be in your name only; traditionally it would go to an agency credit pool and be eligible for use on a ticket for any other employee. Depending on your travel patterns, this may or may not be problematic (you can just use the credit the next time you fly, if you fly a lot).

Most of this depends on how reasonable your employer is around the rules. In my current position, I have a lot of leeway to book and expense anything "reasonable" as long as I could justify it in an audit. In my last job, it was much more rigid because they had 100k+ employees and a lot of bureaucracy.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 15, 2018 at 6:03 pm Reason: split post
Old Dec 19, 2018, 11:45 am
HG3

Programs: UA, AA, Delta
United shorts PQD earnings?

When I booked my last United flight, I was told I would earn 998 PQDs but I was credited only 830 PQDs. I actually spent $1269 for the ticket and upgrades. What should I do?
Old Dec 19, 2018, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HG3
When I booked my last United flight, I was told I would earn 998 PQDs but I was credited only 830 PQDs. I actually spent $1269 for the ticket and upgrades. What should I do?
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

Write in, or call the MileagePlus Service Center, to get it corrected.

Note that upgrades typically do not accrue PQD.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 11:52 am

Programs: UA 1K, MR Titanium, IHG Gold, National Exec
Do you have a screenshot or an email from UA showing PQD earnings for your itinerary? Submit it using the missing mileage request form and ask for a PQD adjustment. They are pretty good about making adjustments in my experience. Of course, that assumes you need the extra 168 PQDs or you have issues with RDM/PQM too.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 11:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Economy Plus purchase would accrue PQD if that's what you mean by "upgrades." Otherwise, not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.