Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Some Paid Upgrades Count Towards PQD & mileage bonus and some DON'T!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 8, 2015, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
One of the more confusing aspects of cash upgrades is "does this upgrade get premium cabin mileage bonus and is the fee included in PQD?"

The best assumption is no bonus and fee is not included in PQD but there are some cases where there will be a premium cabin bonus and amount will count toward PQD.

There are multiple cash upgrade paths and different ones are offered at different times (and can be quite hard to separate).

The key is what is the new fare basis after the upgrade. Note R, RN, P, PN, ZN, ON, A and others have been reported.
  • Many of the upgrade offers results in R/PN/ZN fare class (and post as Zx) -- so like a regular upgrade the mileage posting is based on the original fare class. The upgrade fee does not earn PQDs.
  • Others bump the fare basis to a -UP fare which reports as a P/Z/A fare class, these are now earning PQMs at the up-fared fare class and the up-fare costs earns PQDs.
  • And others book into a true P/Z/A fare basis and will earn the PQM bonus and the up-fare cost will earn PQDs.

The following are generally not eligible for PQD or bonus:
  • Pop-up upgrade immediately following purchase on united.com
  • Last minute upgrade at check-in
Generally these will be priced as $xx9 (ending in 9 dollars) and reflected on the receipt as
Additional Charges:
Date/CreditCard XXXX was charged xxx USD for the Merchandising / EDD
xxx USD for: Premium Cabin Upgrade
However the offer, in "My Reservations" via the cash method tab "Buy Up to First" under "View {Upgrade} Options" is likely to be eligible for PQDs & PQM bonus.
**** Due to UA changes in May 2018, this statement may not be relieable ****
**** This now appears to be an Upgrade Fee (no PQDs) and may book into Upgrade fare class (no extra PQMs) or into a mileage earning bonus fare class (PQMs earning). Unclear if that is a way to tell which will happen ****

Generally these will be reflected on the receipt as
Add Collect: An additional amount for the difference in fare was charged to {card} on {date}. $yyy USD per ticket for an additional total of $yyy USD was collected.
Notice the words "generally" and "likely" -- those are weasel words to protect the wiki author because of the lack of transparency in this system
For instance, some time of checkin paid upgrades that book into P, will earn PQM bonus but not earn PQDs.
Checking the actual fare basis during booking when you are given access (or using the Saudi site) is key in understanding the outcome.

UA Insider commented on this a while back, but there has been no improvement in the confusion / clarity in the meantime.
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi Everyone,

I’ve done a little bit of research on this, and I wanted to share some background on the scenario vandrei shared.

At a high level, and as a some of you have noticed more recently in the thread, the buy-up offer we sometimes present immediately upon booking an economy ticket is indeed distinct from the one presented when viewing a reservation in My Account at some point after the flight has been ticketed and confirmed. For example, the offer at booking enables customers to the flexibility to confirm an upgraded seat on a segment-by-segment basis, whereas the one in My Reservations is based on the line of flight.

Additionally, from a functional perspective, the offer immediately upon booking does not change the underlying fare basis for the original purchased fare (even though the visible fare class is reflective of the buy-up inventory), whereas the one in My Reservations results in a complete re-issue of the existing ticket. It is this aspect of the functionality which drives mileage accrual, which is based on the original purchased fare for the offer immediately after booking, but based on the new fare class for the offer in My Reservations. These policies are disclosed in each offer’s respective (and indeed, different) terms and conditions.

Longer-term, the vision is indeed to align mileage accrual policies between the two types of offers. In the meantime, the tradeoff between the two offers continues to be one of additional miles vs. the flexibility to confirm on a segment-by-segment basis.

Aaron Goldberg
Sr. Manager - Customer Experience Planning
United Airlines
Print Wikipost

Some Paid Upgrades Count Towards PQD & mileage bonus and some DON'T!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2018, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Unfortunately this is the method that seems to have recently changed to many times being an upgrade fee that may book into a mileage bonus fare class or an "upgrade" fare class (no mileage bonus).
The only surefire way to get the PQMs for the premium fare class is to call UA and request to up-fare an entire direction of travel using GG BUYUP. The cost should be the difference in fare between what you paid for the original itinerary and what you would pay for the same itinerary today if you booked that direction in business or first class.

Any other method, and any other price -- including anything that upgrades one flight while leaving a connecting flight in economy -- is an indication that you are likely to end up with economy PQMs.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 6:15 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
One data point. My wife booked small city-ORD-LGA with return EWR-small city all in one reservation (Q fare). When booking, price to purchase First Class was $250 more, although the only flight with First Class was ORD-LGA. Just after booking, the pop-up box offered the upgrade for ORD-LGA for $119. That segment became Z fare with double PQMs and 1.5 PQSs. As expected, no extra PQDs.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 1:25 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM
Biz Class buy up to P -- no PQD for the buy up value

recently bought a Y ticket to europe. Went in to use my GPU on one of the legs and it offered me a P fare for $1000, so I paid for it.

However, I did not get any PQD credit for the additional fare paid to get to the P fare -- just the original value of the Y ticket.

FYI - PQM's posted correctly per P fare.

Is this right?
Old Jul 18, 2018, 1:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by avi8tir
recently bought a Y ticket to europe. Went in to use my GPU on one of the legs and it offered me a P fare for $1000, so I paid for it.
The website likely offered you a purchased upgrade that booked into P. Those do not accrue PQD.

You can confirm this by looking at your receipt. If it says "Add/Collect" you're entitled to PQD. If it says "upgrade" (or similar) you are not.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 2:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
Ugh, I've been repeatedly burned by this. Used to be that before check-in purchases were mostly fare differences and thus you got PQDs. Now it's all promos. Ridiculous they don't credit us for giving them money.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 3:16 pm

Location: DFW from PDX - UA 1K 2MM,Lifetime HHonnors Diamond, Bonvoy AMB/LT Tit, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
Sometimes depending on the fare, I find calling in and doing a GGBUYUP is cheaper then the buy up on the web site. And you get PQD.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by dshafiee
Sometimes depending on the fare, I find calling in and doing a GGBUYUP is cheaper then the buy up on the web site. And you get PQD.
Just did this for ATL-SFO. It was a work ticket so I called our travel agency to see if I they could do it and put it on my personal card. They called United! : D Said it was possible but I'd have to pay the travel agency service fee, or I could call United. Called United figured I'd get the "take control" fee gruff but heard none of it--maybe the travel agency doesn't actually control the ticket?
Old Jul 19, 2018, 12:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by JAaronT
Called United figured I'd get the "take control" fee gruff but heard none of it--maybe the travel agency doesn't actually control the ticket?
The takeover fee is very ymmv ~ some agents care and some don't.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 1:51 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM
Well, my receipt says: 1011.00 USD for: Premium Cabin Upgrade

I guess it must add/collect to get PQD credit.

Looks like I got burned on this one... what a bunch of BS.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 2:10 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Well, my receipt says: 1011.00 USD for: Premium Cabin Upgrade ...
PCUs are not PDQ eligible

I guess it must add/collect to get PQD credit. ...
Nowadays upgrade "offers" are generally not PDQ eligible.

Looks like I got burned on this one. ...
Since you booked into P, you will likely get additional PQMs, the surest way to get PQDs is to upfare (best done with a live agent)
Old Jul 19, 2018, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by findark
The takeover fee is very ymmv ~ some agents care and some don't.
Good to know. I've only done it once before (at a different employer with a different travel agent) and he mentioned the fee but said "oh we'll waive that since you couldn't do it online" without any prompting from me.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 8:48 pm

bought exactly the upgrades needed to get to 75,006 miles by year end with double PQM for upgrades purchased from "Manage Reservations", hadn't been getting PQD for these all year, but had been always getting double PQM.

flight this week was rebooked twice due to weather, once it posted did not get the PQM double and flight showed Q code rather than usual P.

Called Mileage Plus Customer Care to get this corrected as I need the extra miles to reach 75,006.

Mileage plus agent advised supervisor stated I had been getting credit for previous flights due to a "system glitch" and they would allow me to keep all past PQM's earned BUT they were adjusting all my future tickets to remove the glitch and I would no longer get double PQM.

I stated only reason for upgrade was PQM, they transferred me to an agent who hung up on me.

Called back to 1K line, great agent refunded all my remaining upgrades for rest of year, about $2,000. Plus an extra final flight I had added ORD-FLL round trip for about 3 hours to get over 75,000 (refunded travel credit, waived fee).

Pretty happy they refunded due to the PQM situation. I won't upgrade in the future. The PQM and status situation made it worthwhile to me.

So I guess if you get screwed on one of these do NOT call mileage plus!
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 9:57 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by BeeeJay
Mileage plus agent advised supervisor stated I had been getting credit for previous flights due to a "system glitch" and they would allow me to keep all past PQM's earned BUT they were adjusting all my future tickets to remove the glitch and I would no longer get double PQM. ....
Until we see more evidence, I suspect this is just a standard case of phone agents making rules / claiming recent policies changes / MOLA -- The getting PQM credit has not been 100% in the past and the post-upgrade fare class has many times been PQM bonus earning and sometimes not. If it is a PQM bonus fare it has been earning the bonus. This is pretty much outside the control of the phone agents and likely they don't fully understand what is happening, so they are "creating a narrative."
Old Jul 29, 2018, 1:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The getting PQM credit has not been 100% in the past and the post-upgrade fare class has many times been PQM bonus earning and sometimes not.
Agreed.

While I highly doubt that some vindictive phone agent would even have known how to "fix" this "glitch" (adjusting the booking code to ZN might have worked), I agree 100% that double PQMs are an unintended byproduct of the upgrade process.

OP: If you buy up to a first / business class fare, by calling and paying the difference between your economy fare and the lowest eligible premium cabin fare, you'll get the PQMs (and PQDs). If you take advantage of a TOD-type upgrade, even from the Manage Reservations screen, it's hit or miss, and your expectation should be no bonus PQMs. (Be glad it happened now, rather than on your last planned flight of the year .
Old Jul 29, 2018, 2:13 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
Agreed.

While I highly doubt that some vindictive phone agent would even have known how to "fix" this "glitch" (adjusting the booking code to ZN might have worked), I agree 100% that double PQMs are an unintended byproduct of the upgrade process.

OP: If you buy up to a first / business class fare, by calling and paying the difference between your economy fare and the lowest eligible premium cabin fare, you'll get the PQMs (and PQDs). If you take advantage of a TOD-type upgrade, even from the Manage Reservations screen, it's hit or miss, and your expectation should be no bonus PQMs. (Be glad it happened now, rather than on your last planned flight of the year .
Couldn't agree more with that! I had been 100% for receiving the double PQM's before this incident. And that is a pretty significant pool of upgrades, probably 100/100 in 2016/2017/2018. I hadn't had any reason to question the methodology until this, although I was vaguely aware of some change when I stopped receiving the extra PQD. The PQD didn't concern me as I wias still over the requirement, with PQMs being the final piece to drag me across the finish line. I do remember when I first started buying these upgrades there was a "whats the difference" thing you could click on the miles vs purchase screen in the upgrade process that stated the purchase got the double creidt or something to that effect, but that has since been removed as they obviously changed the official policy.

The only thing different on this flight where I didn't get the PQM was I had two flight changes due to weather. I was never not in first after buying the upgrade, but I ended up credited for Q class. The entire time up until this flight was finally credited at normal PQM rather than double, my "futrure flights" was showing me at 75,006 at end of year.

Even when I went to cancel the upgrades, the new 1K agent after I was disconnected could see all my future flights showing as earning double PQMs but agreed with the Mileage Plus agent and could somehow "see" that I was going to have those corrected back down to only normal PQM. She was very apologetic and more than happy to refund all of my remaining supposedly "non-refundable" upcharges.

She did mention that I could do the fare difference buy-up and even noted that it was cheaper on some legs than my originally paid price, however given that I needed every single upgrade and some may be more expensive at this time (the flight this monday was $1,679), I preferred the $2,000 back in my pocket. I'll get upgraded for free on one of the two weekly legs more often than not anyway. The other leg rarely gets upgraded, has 15 Global Services people every week. I also find interesting that the leg with all the global service flyers normally has less available first seats as the flight approaches, a higher upgrade fee, until just before TOD, BUT A LOWER miles upgrade price. In the end every week I've been able to get that upgrade for $129 or $139, occasionally some odd lower amount.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.