Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Some Paid Upgrades Count Towards PQD & mileage bonus and some DON'T!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 8, 2015, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
One of the more confusing aspects of cash upgrades is "does this upgrade get premium cabin mileage bonus and is the fee included in PQD?"

The best assumption is no bonus and fee is not included in PQD but there are some cases where there will be a premium cabin bonus and amount will count toward PQD.

There are multiple cash upgrade paths and different ones are offered at different times (and can be quite hard to separate).

The key is what is the new fare basis after the upgrade. Note R, RN, P, PN, ZN, ON, A and others have been reported.
  • Many of the upgrade offers results in R/PN/ZN fare class (and post as Zx) -- so like a regular upgrade the mileage posting is based on the original fare class. The upgrade fee does not earn PQDs.
  • Others bump the fare basis to a -UP fare which reports as a P/Z/A fare class, these are now earning PQMs at the up-fared fare class and the up-fare costs earns PQDs.
  • And others book into a true P/Z/A fare basis and will earn the PQM bonus and the up-fare cost will earn PQDs.

The following are generally not eligible for PQD or bonus:
  • Pop-up upgrade immediately following purchase on united.com
  • Last minute upgrade at check-in
Generally these will be priced as $xx9 (ending in 9 dollars) and reflected on the receipt as
Additional Charges:
Date/CreditCard XXXX was charged xxx USD for the Merchandising / EDD
xxx USD for: Premium Cabin Upgrade
However the offer, in "My Reservations" via the cash method tab "Buy Up to First" under "View {Upgrade} Options" is likely to be eligible for PQDs & PQM bonus.
**** Due to UA changes in May 2018, this statement may not be relieable ****
**** This now appears to be an Upgrade Fee (no PQDs) and may book into Upgrade fare class (no extra PQMs) or into a mileage earning bonus fare class (PQMs earning). Unclear if that is a way to tell which will happen ****

Generally these will be reflected on the receipt as
Add Collect: An additional amount for the difference in fare was charged to {card} on {date}. $yyy USD per ticket for an additional total of $yyy USD was collected.
Notice the words "generally" and "likely" -- those are weasel words to protect the wiki author because of the lack of transparency in this system
For instance, some time of checkin paid upgrades that book into P, will earn PQM bonus but not earn PQDs.
Checking the actual fare basis during booking when you are given access (or using the Saudi site) is key in understanding the outcome.

UA Insider commented on this a while back, but there has been no improvement in the confusion / clarity in the meantime.
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi Everyone,

I’ve done a little bit of research on this, and I wanted to share some background on the scenario vandrei shared.

At a high level, and as a some of you have noticed more recently in the thread, the buy-up offer we sometimes present immediately upon booking an economy ticket is indeed distinct from the one presented when viewing a reservation in My Account at some point after the flight has been ticketed and confirmed. For example, the offer at booking enables customers to the flexibility to confirm an upgraded seat on a segment-by-segment basis, whereas the one in My Reservations is based on the line of flight.

Additionally, from a functional perspective, the offer immediately upon booking does not change the underlying fare basis for the original purchased fare (even though the visible fare class is reflective of the buy-up inventory), whereas the one in My Reservations results in a complete re-issue of the existing ticket. It is this aspect of the functionality which drives mileage accrual, which is based on the original purchased fare for the offer immediately after booking, but based on the new fare class for the offer in My Reservations. These policies are disclosed in each offer’s respective (and indeed, different) terms and conditions.

Longer-term, the vision is indeed to align mileage accrual policies between the two types of offers. In the meantime, the tradeoff between the two offers continues to be one of additional miles vs. the flexibility to confirm on a segment-by-segment basis.

Aaron Goldberg
Sr. Manager - Customer Experience Planning
United Airlines
Print Wikipost

Some Paid Upgrades Count Towards PQD & mileage bonus and some DON'T!

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2013, 9:27 am

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
Originally Posted by star_world
If you're purchasing it from the pop-up you quoted above, it doesn't matter - it clearly says you'll get the miles associated with your original itinerary.
However, I think you actually do depending on how the upgrade is done. I think if you purchase an upgrade via this pop-up and it books into P with an -UP fare basis you would (should) get the COS bonus.
Old May 3, 2013, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by kenn0223
The most frustrating bit about all of this is that when you purchase an upgrade from this pop-up or with the "upgrade" button within a reservation. Nowhere does it tell you how the upgrade is being accomplished nor into what code it is booking.

You cannot see the booking code anywhere until after the transaction is complete (so P, A, Z, PN, R) and you cannot see the fare information at all with the pop-up and not without knowing to click on the "refundable or non-refundable" link on the payment screen when to upgrade from within a reservation.

So when you buy an upgrade the average customer really has no idea if they will get the extra mileage or not and what to expect durring IRROPS. If spent a ton of money buying and upgrade only to find out that I'm simply being up-fared to M and then getting an instant-upgrade which earns no extra miles and results only in a confirmed seat in coach if I have to rebooked...I'd be pissed.
The screen that you just posted says clearly that MP credit is based on originally purchased class of service.

I see nothing deceptive or confusing about that screen. It's totally different from the first screen we saw.
Old May 3, 2013, 10:25 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by kenn0223
However, I think you actually do depending on how the upgrade is done. I think if you purchase an upgrade via this pop-up and it books into P with an -UP fare basis you would (should) get the COS bonus.
They can book you into whatever class they like, but if you've selected the buy-up based on the (very clearly worded) offer you quoted, you are not entitled to any additional miles.

It's no different to being rebooked in what looks like Y class during IRROPS, but your flight crediting as the originally booked class. They can use the booking classes for whatever they want, but unless you're specifically purchasing a ticket in a specific class, you're not entitled to the COS bonus miles, etc.
Old May 3, 2013, 10:43 am

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
Originally Posted by star_world
They can book you into whatever class they like, but if you've selected the buy-up based on the (very clearly worded) offer you quoted, you are not entitled to any additional miles.

It's no different to being rebooked in what looks like Y class during IRROPS, but your flight crediting as the originally booked class. They can use the booking classes for whatever they want, but unless you're specifically purchasing a ticket in a specific class, you're not entitled to the COS bonus miles, etc.
Agreed, but I think some people do, indeed, get the COS miles despite the terms saying the contrary. (just as some do when rebooked into Y)
Old May 3, 2013, 11:38 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ari
The OP claims to have bought the upgrade [B]from a pop-up window immideately after purchase; that is different from going into the reservation later and doing a buy-up. The terms of the offer can be different.

If the OP wants to complain, the OP should have screen shots of what was actually purchased, not a similar offer from a different page on the website. It seems to me that the OP assumed that the pop-up offer would qualify for PQMs but didn't bother to read the specific terms of the pop-up offer. Then, when the PQMs didn't come, the OP went to a different place on united.com and found a similar offer and believes that UA should honor the terms of that offer rather than whatever the terms of the pop-up offer actually were.

If I am mistaken as to what the OP did, please correct me. A pop-up offer is not the same as a buy-up option in the reservation even if the dollar amounts are the same. UA may be sleezy in doing this, but that doesn't make the OP correct.

The part about the website saying 150% is more convincing, but was that offer made at point of purchase? I think not.
(Emphasis added).

Ari was right from the start. UA is sleazy . . . but correct. The OP got exactly what the offer was, no more, no less.

Originally Posted by United.com post-purchase pop-up offer
  • The upgrade fees associated with this offer are nonrefundable and non-transferable.
  • Voluntary changes to your itinerary will forfeit your upgrade and any associated fees.
  • In the event of a flight cancellation or involuntary schedule change, we will refund your paid upgrade fees if you are not reaccommodated in a premium cabin.
  • Fare rules associated with your original itinerary will also apply to your new itinerary.
  • This upgrade offer is only available via united.com and will not be offered or replicated by other booking sources.
  • MileagePlus® miles will be credited based on original purchased class of service.
  • This upgrade offer applies only to the listed flight segments.
  • Valid for travel on flights operated by United® and United Express® only.
  • This upgrade offer purchase reserves a seat within the selected cabin.
  • Seats are limited and subject to availability.
  • This upgrade offer purchase is processed based on seat availability at time of purchase.
  • This upgrade offer is subject to change at any time.
(Emphasis added).
Old May 3, 2013, 12:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, VX Gold, AA PLT, DL Gold, MR Gold, HH Diamond, Hertz 5* Gold
Originally Posted by Ari
It seems to me that the OP assumed that the pop-up offer would qualify for PQMs but didn't bother to read the specific terms of the pop-up offer.
The OP assumed that the offer would qualify for PQMs because United's reservation system issued an itinerary and receipt showing "Class: P", the reservation page said "Fare class: United First (P)", and the reservation page showed the mileage next to "150%".

The OP will not be buying any upgrades in the future, period, because UA's systems are so opaque as to exactly what is being purchased.

Last edited by vandrei; May 3, 2013 at 12:15 pm
Old May 3, 2013, 12:36 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vandrei
The OP assumed that the offer would qualify for PQMs because United's reservation system issued an itinerary and receipt showing "Class: P", the reservation page said "Fare class: United First (P)", and the reservation page showed the mileage next to "150%".

The OP will not be buying any upgrades in the future, period, because UA's systems are so opaque as to exactly what is being purchased.
How is saying at the point of purchase "MileagePlus® miles will be credited based on original purchased class of service" opaque?
Old May 3, 2013, 2:15 pm
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Ari
How is saying at the point of purchase "MileagePlus® miles will be credited based on original purchased class of service" opaque?
How is that anything like what UA actually said, which was that the miles would be credited based on the new fare class?

Originally Posted by vandrei
Immediately after booking each of the tickets, I was presented with a cash buy-up offers to first class. According to the offers, I would earn additional MileagePlus miles based on the new fare class (in this case, both tickets were booked into P class, which should earn 150% PQM/RDM and 1.5 PQS).
Old May 3, 2013, 2:55 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EsquireFlyer
How is that anything like what UA actually said, which was that the miles would be credited based on the new fare class?
The OP admitted s/he didn't remember the exact details of the offer. "Immideately after booking" implies the pop-up window. The terms in the pop-up window are clear.
Old May 3, 2013, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
I am a pretty intelligent person and I would say fairly well versed with UA and M+, and I am more confused then ever after reading this thread. It is pathetic that UA has to resort to this type of obfuscation.

Looking at one of my upcoming trips in the upgrade function. Click on "what's the difference" and here is the pop up.

Seems pretty straight forward to me.

It has become incredibly frustrating that everything seems to be a fight with United over things that used to be so easy.

EDIT: United's incompetence just continues to show. I have now pretty much decided to take a break from giving UA any more money, so I cancelled this recent (within 24 hour) trip. The confirmation screen shows "Refund to be credited to Visa XXXXXXXXXXXX0001"

I did not use a card ending in 0001. I have no credit card ending in 0001.

A quick call to the fake "1k desk" and I was told everything was fine. This is just the way the website displays the information.

Seriously? UA has turned into nothing but a joke....that isn't funny.

Last edited by goodeats21; May 3, 2013 at 3:58 pm Reason: Added info...
Old May 3, 2013, 3:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, VX Gold, AA PLT, DL Gold, MR Gold, HH Diamond, Hertz 5* Gold
Originally Posted by goodeats21
I am a pretty intelligent person and I would say fairly well versed with UA and M+, and I am more confused then ever after reading this thread. It is pathetic that UA has to resort to this type of obfuscation.

Looking at one of my upcoming trips in the upgrade function. Click on "what's the difference" and here is the pop up.

Seems pretty straight forward to me.

It has become incredibly frustrating that everything seems to be a fight with United over things that used to be so easy.
Apparently, United has multiple types of paid upgrade offers going on.
  • The ones immediately at booking, in which you don't get any PQM.
  • The ones after booking, through the reservations page, in which you may get PQM based on a new "fare" - which is apparently the "fare" in the fare basis code (which is impossible to find after booking, unless you lookup the e-ticket or six character PNR through Saudi Airlines' Web site) and NOT the "fare class" that is displayed on the reservations page.
  • The ones at T-24/OLCI, in which you don't get any PQM.

Having read about PCUs, TODs, and other upgrades on FT, my impression was that T-24/OLCI (TOD) upgrades don't get miles but PCUs from booking up until T-24/OLCI (TOD) upgrades do get miles, especially if they book into a higher fare class (mine did, according to the itinerary and receipt).

IMO, I'm frustrated because it's difficult to know exactly what I'm getting when I make a reservation - aside from the Smisek videos in flight. Am I earning PQMs based on the fare basis code or the fare class that I see on my reservations page? This whole "earning miles" thing should not be as complicated as it is today.

(On an aside, I got an e-mail from MP today saying "you've earned enough miles to go to Europe!" Out of curiosity, I looked at saver award inventory and created a mock reservation, only to discover that the fare basis code in the rules and restrictions page displays fare class Y.)
Old May 3, 2013, 5:36 pm

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
We'll have a data point in a couple of weeks. I bought up from W to Global First (for half the cost of upfaring to Business First) from the same screen that vandrei shows. Part of my decision process was factoring in the value of the additional RDM's. It shows me in A. The web site continues to show me in A.

I called United Reservations to remove the GPU request from that segment (it also showed 'waitlisted for R', which didn't seem like something I would want) and the agent confirmed I am in A.

The Saudi site suggests the fare basis is DxxxUP. I have never seen a D-UP fare before, but it's not something obviously impossible. I did not know to click on the one-time hidden link under "Refundable" (or is it "Format Hard Disk Now"...I forget) so I don't know what it would have said.

The ticket was reissued - it has a new number.

I expect to get all the benefits of an A fare on this flight, including RDMs. There's nothing that United has told me that suggests anything else. I can't believe they will take a 3rd party web site as authoritative.

I'll report what happens.
Old May 3, 2013, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Good luck - but I bet you get the lesser D bonus RDMs. It's that sneaky.
Old May 3, 2013, 6:23 pm

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
Are they going to argue that the Saudi web site is authoritative? I can make a web site that shows that I am getting a million miles, GS for life, and a brand new pony. It makes no logical sense to go by a non-United site.

Or are they going to argue that the fare class that matters is not the fare class that they showed me when I purchased the upfare, nor the one that United's agents told me I was in, but rather this top secret fare class obtainable only via a hidden single-use link?
Old May 3, 2013, 7:26 pm
Company Representative, United Airlines

Hi Everyone,

I’ve done a little bit of research on this, and I wanted to share some background on the scenario vandrei shared.

At a high level, and as a some of you have noticed more recently in the thread, the buy-up offer we sometimes present immediately upon booking an economy ticket is indeed distinct from the one presented when viewing a reservation in My Account at some point after the flight has been ticketed and confirmed. For example, the offer at booking enables customers to the flexibility to confirm an upgraded seat on a segment-by-segment basis, whereas the one in My Reservations is based on the line of flight.

Additionally, from a functional perspective, the offer immediately upon booking does not change the underlying fare basis for the original purchased fare (even though the visible fare class is reflective of the buy-up inventory), whereas the one in My Reservations results in a complete re-issue of the existing ticket. It is this aspect of the functionality which drives mileage accrual, which is based on the original purchased fare for the offer immediately after booking, but based on the new fare class for the offer in My Reservations. These policies are disclosed in each offer’s respective (and indeed, different) terms and conditions.

Longer-term, the vision is indeed to align mileage accrual policies between the two types of offers. In the meantime, the tradeoff between the two offers continues to be one of additional miles vs. the flexibility to confirm on a segment-by-segment basis.

Aaron Goldberg
Sr. Manager - Customer Experience Planning
United Airlines

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.