Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

A look at SFO T3 Progress - "As nice or nicer than T2"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A look at SFO T3 Progress - "As nice or nicer than T2"

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2014, 5:46 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by LarkSFO
Earlier in this thread I posted a link to T1 development plans...
Since it's a long thread, here it is again: http://www.cmaanorcal.org/pdfs/11291...esentation.pdf

Complete demolition and rebuild from scratch of Boarding Area B
Old Jan 27, 2014, 5:54 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by kjnangre
Since it's a long thread, here it is again: http://www.cmaanorcal.org/pdfs/11291...esentation.pdf

Thanks for the link. I see they have plans to build a temporary boarding area during the construction period. Someone should suggest they stand it up and leave it there for 30 years a la IAD's C/D terminal
Old Jan 27, 2014, 6:07 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM+, HHonors, Amtrak GuestRewards
Originally Posted by kjnangre

I like the note on presentation slide 6: "Boarding Area B is not pile supported and has sunk up to 4 feet in some locations." Or, put another way, Terminal 1 area B is slowly sinking into the mud (which it is still doing, slowly--the slope of the ramp from security into the concourse is gradually increasing as the concourse sinks, although the ramp remains ADA-compliant for now).
Old Jan 27, 2014, 6:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Pingtung
Thanks for the link. I see they have plans to build a temporary boarding area during the construction period. Someone should suggest they stand it up and leave it there for 30 years a la IAD's C/D terminal
For that matter, build it a mile from everything else, run bajillion-dollar busses to it for like 30 years, then build a train system out to it, but have the train stop a half-mile walk away.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 7:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL, AA, AS
Are there any plans to renovate the rest of T3 (F)?
Old Jan 27, 2014, 7:35 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by sfonorth
I doubt they'd work on 2 terminals simultaneously, and T1 is definitely next. So I'm guessing that's a decade away.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 8:03 pm
Original Poster

This document (PDF Warning!) does not really share anything new, but some of the aerial site photographs are fantastic!

http://www.sfgov3.org/modules/showdo...ocumentid=2705
Old Jan 28, 2014, 4:55 pm
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
We arrived from ORD today into the new Terminal E area. It was quite nice -- plenty of light and openness.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Thanks for the links for the T1 rebuild. It is in much higher need than T3. T3 isn't too bad once you're past security. The long passageway to the piers has great rotating art exhibitions and it was good they redid the food concessions, and at least the ceilings are higher. It could be much better, but also could be far worse.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by CApreppie
Thanks for the links for the T1 rebuild. It is in much higher need than T3. T3 isn't too bad once you're past security. The long passageway to the piers has great rotating art exhibitions and it was good they redid the food concessions, and at least the ceilings are higher. It could be much better, but also could be far worse.
I wonder what the useful life is on section F Terminal 3, given T1 is nearing its end? I have never had a major problem with T3F, and like you, greatly enjoy the rotating art exhibit.

I posted photos I took in the other T3E event thread, so if anybody is interested:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/115581786@N08/
Old Jan 28, 2014, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by sfonorth
It certainly doesn't need a rebuild - just a refresh.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 1:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
It certainly doesn't need a rebuild - just a refresh.
Agreed. It never was one of those claustrophobic terminals like you find in T1, but consider that once they finish the T1 rebuild, T3F will be the oldest boarding area in the airport. I'd be happy if they would just rebuild the seating areas with chairs/lounges that have electrical outlets like you find in SJC. No more camping out near pillars.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 1:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Spectre17
Agreed. It never was one of those claustrophobic terminals like you find in T1, but consider that once they finish the T1 rebuild, T3F will be the oldest boarding area in the airport. I'd be happy if they would just rebuild the seating areas with chairs/lounges that have electrical outlets like you find in SJC. No more camping out near pillars.
The T1 rebuild schedule goes on through the early 2020's.

T3F will need a facelift / refurb / many more plugs(!), (but not complete rebuild) long before that!
Old Jan 29, 2014, 1:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by LarkSFO
The T1 rebuild schedule goes on through the early 2020's.

T3F will need a facelift / refurb / many more plugs(!), (but not complete rebuild) long before that!
I'd be (pleasantly) surprised if they did two passenger-area building projects at the same time, but I'm not counting on it. For power, they just seem to install those high tables/power poles and let us be grateful for that.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 10:17 am

Programs: 1K 2.2MM
SF Chron -Term 3 photos and UA notes

Didn't see this post - nice photos of Term 3 renovation at SFO, and note about how our dominant carrier here is not so well liked.

http://www.sfgate.com/business/botto...#photo-5800093

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.