Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

A look at SFO T3 Progress - "As nice or nicer than T2"

Old Jan 25, 2014, 7:20 am

SFO: New UA Terminal ready for take off

Community day today (01/25), details here
Old Jan 25, 2014, 8:49 am
Original Poster

SFO terminal revamp ready for takeoff

Terminal 3E, or T3E

SFO terminal revamp ready for takeoff

From SFGate:

"Travelers who recall the old American Airlines wing at Terminal 3 in San Francisco International Airport won't believe what's happened to it.

The long corridor with 10 gates featured a low, acoustic-tile ceiling with fluorescent lighting, black-and-white signs with gate numbers, and rows of those generic, black plastic-covered seats you can only find in airports. A couple of crowded restaurants and newsstands were wedged between the gates.

"We've provided a lot of luxury perks that you wouldn't expect to find at an airport," said airport director John Martin. "Maybe at a hotel."

The new Boarding Area E - or Terminal 3E, as some have nicknamed it - is light, bright and ultramodern. It opens Tuesday. Along the main corridor, the ceiling has been raised 20 to 30 feet with plenty of natural light. At the end of the walkway, a 23-foot-tall picture window offers a panoramic view of the runways, and a dangling sculpture of giant metallic globes reflects the sunset and the bustle of the airport."

"Open to the public
Members of the public don't need to be flying out of SFO to get a sneak peek at the new Boarding Area E before it opens. There will be a community day from noon to 5 p.m. Saturday. Admission is free, but reservations are required at: www.flySFO.com/t3e-opening."
Old Jan 25, 2014, 9:09 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Got a nice look at it as I taxied out last night and "Sparky" (aka a 787) was parked at gate 66
Old Jan 25, 2014, 9:24 am

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Sounds nice!

I was tempted to go see it today, as I live near the airport, but then I realized that I'll likely be seeing it in action soon enough!
Old Jan 25, 2014, 9:34 am

Programs: Airplanes!

I taxied by it last night myself on the way to International G. It did look sparkly and blue to me! Hope I can sneak peek it on my way out.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 12:43 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by StingWest
I was tempted to go see it today, as I live near the airport, but then I realized that I'll likely be seeing it in action soon enough!
Same here! Had trouble convincing my S.O. it was worth a special trip when I'll be flying out Thursday morning anyway. I do hope my transcon is leaving from one of the refurbished E gates....
Old Jan 26, 2014, 4:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by DCA writer
Klein's Deli opened a few months ago near 83, and they did a great sandwich when I stopped by back in June. Enormous portions, though--my wife and I were fine splitting one sandwich.
You're going to be really happy with T3E -- there's another branch of Klein's Deli there as well. I even bought a sandwich there while enjoying yesterday's T3E Community Day.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 7:38 am

Programs: UA 1K, *A Gold, Hilton Silver, Marriott Plat+Amb, AA
SFO - Gate 69A - 27 Jan 2014

With the move of Gates 68 and 69 to T3E it seems that the computers have changed and F69 is F69A for today.

Just an FYI for any travelers today.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 10:14 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1MM
So, is the plan for all UA and UX flights to be consolidated in (both) T3 and International? Will T1 be phased out so we don't need to shuttle between terminals?
Old Jan 27, 2014, 10:35 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by laginibre
So, is the plan for all UA and UX flights to be consolidated in (both) T3 and International? Will T1 be phased out so we don't need to shuttle between terminals?
Yes, by May.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 10:54 am

Anybody else going to be on the 7AM SFO-JFK flight tomorrow? I booked this a while back and got lucky that it will be the first flight out of the new terminal 3E.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 11:11 am

Programs: Hyatt GLOB, Marriott Lifetime PLT, UA 1K 1MM.
on a p.s. flight right now to SFO, returning on wednesday so hoping to check out the new terminal. glad to hear there's something new, the UA gates weren't awful or anything, but just looked really dated.

Originally Posted by goalie
Got a nice look at it as I taxied out last night and "Sparky" (aka a 787) was parked at gate 66
haha first time i've heard that. now i know what to call it!
Old Jan 27, 2014, 11:41 am

Programs: UA 1K MM *G
Anyone know if there is a new security checkpoint at 3E and if it has TSA pre-check?
Old Jan 27, 2014, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
The old concourse was grim. Looking forward to seeing the new concourse. I've been in T2 and it is quite nice. They've go to get working on T1 - that terminal is pretty horrific. Far worse than the rest of the airport.
Old Jan 27, 2014, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SF_DUKE
Anyone know if there is a new security checkpoint at 3E and if it has TSA pre-check?
Originally Posted by LarkSFO
Update from The BAT:

http://thebat-sf.com/2013/09/25/sfo-...mod-sfo-video/

Revamped T3 premier security scheduled to open end of January 2014. (expansion to 6 lanes.)

Then, further security construction:

- The next phase is to expand the F1 checkpoint (on the eastern side of Terminal 3) to ten lanes. That project should be ready by the summer of 2015.

- Once both new security checkpoints are up and running, the current F2 checkpoint (in the middle of Terminal 3) will be eliminated.

Boarding Area E also scheduled to open in January 2014.

http://www.flysfo.com/about-sfo/airp...oarding-area-e

Has the new Premier Security area opened?

Originally Posted by CApreppie
The old concourse was grim. Looking forward to seeing the new concourse. I've been in T2 and it is quite nice. They've go to get working on T1 - that terminal is pretty horrific. Far worse than the rest of the airport.
Earlier in this thread I posted a link to T1 development plans...

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jan 27, 2014 at 1:10 pm Reason: merge

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.