Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

A look at SFO T3 Progress - "As nice or nicer than T2"

A look at SFO T3 Progress - "As nice or nicer than T2"

Old Feb 10, 2014, 11:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I believe I read that the Premier insecurity line (and I assume PreCheck) will be moving to the central area.
Greetings Vancouver!

Eventually, perhaps.

But, immediate term the plan is to expand premier security theater in it's existing location.

Originally Posted by LarkSFO
New signage at T3 Premier Access security... The construction that is to the right as you are entering security checkpoint...

State if the art security checkpoint under construction

This security checkpoint is being expanded from four to six lanes wide and remodeled to improve passenger flow. The improvements will also enhance the passenger experience by providing special "wait-time" technology that informs passengers of anticipated wait-times for proceeding through the checkpoint, and by improving circulation at the pre-security area.
"PREMIUM SECURITY EXPANSION AT SFO. Have you seen boarded up area adjacent to United’s Premium Security entry point (F-3) on the far western side of Terminal 3? Apparently, it’s hiding a significant expansion (six lanes, up from current four) of the frequently clogged security checkpoint, but we’ve not been able to squeeze any more details (such as opening dates) out of SFO yet. Stay tuned."

Not sure why SFO is not sharing more details on this?

They want it to be a big surprise?

http://thebat-sf.com/2013/09/18/bett...Traveler%29%29

Also from Chris:

"BETTER WIFI AT SFO. Logging on the (thankfully free) wi-fi at SFO became a clutter free experience this summer with an upgrade to a newer, faster network. Instead of a greeting of irritating ads, you can now log on with one click accepting terms and conditions, and boom, you are good to go for up to two hours. Look for “SFO FREE WIFI.” When the airport is busy, the connections tend to slow down a bit, but hey, you get what you pay for, right?"
Update from The BAT:

http://thebat-sf.com/2013/09/25/sfo-...mod-sfo-video/

Revamped T3 premier security scheduled to open end of January 2014. (expansion to 6 lanes.)

Then, further security construction:

- The next phase is to expand the F1 checkpoint (on the eastern side of Terminal 3) to ten lanes. That project should be ready by the summer of 2015.

- Once both new security checkpoints are up and running, the current F2 checkpoint (in the middle of Terminal 3) will be eliminated.

Boarding Area E also scheduled to open in January 2014.

http://www.flysfo.com/about-sfo/airp...oarding-area-e

Last edited by LarkSFO; Feb 10, 2014 at 11:15 pm
Old Feb 10, 2014, 11:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by unavaca
This is my standard breakfast item at SFO. Nothing keeps you filled quite like the potatoes, eggs, and chorizo in Andale's breakfast burrito.
+1000
The Andale breakfast burrito is the only airport food item I actually look forward to. The pre-made ones that have been sitting there for a while are best. Gives time for the flavors to blend
Old Feb 10, 2014, 11:41 pm

Programs: UA G
Originally Posted by Kacee
+1000
The Andale breakfast burrito is the only airport food item I actually look forward to. The pre-made ones that have been sitting there for a while are best. Gives time for the flavors to blend
Yes, melty morning goodness. Not just that, but the side of the tortilla that's been sitting directly on the hot plate for awhile gets a bit crispy. Awesome.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 6:02 pm

Programs: UA GS & Million Miler, AA Lifetime Gold (MM)
Is there are security checkpoint yet at SFO Terminal 3E?

Do any of our SFO-based FT'ers know if they have opened a security checkpoint yet near the new United gates in Terminal 3E? If so, is it Pre-Check friendly? Heading up for a red-eye tonight after an evening event, and trying to determine whether I can save some time, or just give my FitBit a workout ... :-)
Old Feb 11, 2014, 6:25 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
As of last weekend, the checkpoints had not changed.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 7:22 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Just asked a SFO Covenant Aviation Security person (in the last hour), he stated will be a couple of months before T3E has security screening area. No idea whether or not he has any valid knowledge.

Note the middle PreCheck screening area closes at 5PM -- so there is only the original / Premier area PreCheck lines in the evening.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 7:49 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
According to a friend if mine who works for United at SFO, it's going to be sometime in May
Old Feb 11, 2014, 7:58 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Note the middle PreCheck screening area closes at 5PM -- so there is only the original / Premier area PreCheck lines in the evening.
Does anyone know if SFO will keep the original PreCheck line when they move Premier insecurity to the central area?
Old May 9, 2014, 10:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LIH Prem
FWIW, I asked SFO Customer Service via their web site where the Amex lounge is going in:

"The Amex Centurion Lounge is a private, pay-in lounge. Access is adjacent to Gate 74, Terminal 3, post-security. "

-David
This is my observation this week as well. Appeared to be all airside.

The 'Centurian' (sic) lounge is supposed to open Fall 2014 as part of the Ascent 2020 plan.
Old May 9, 2014, 11:22 am

Programs: UA G
Interesting -- 74 is right next to the connector between T3 and Intl G. I guess that's why the old premier security area is all boarded up.

Location sounds great (for elites) -- go through premier security, turn left, and it's right there. Nice.
Old May 9, 2014, 10:41 pm

Programs: UA 1MM (and no longer flying much)
Let me be the 3rd person in this thread to say that Urban Tortilla is very disappointing. I was hopeful, given that making a very good burrito isn't exactly rocket science (e.g., Andale, Chipotle) and there are plenty of locals who make truly outstanding ones.
Old May 9, 2014, 11:20 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by endrond
Let me be the 3rd person in this thread to say that Urban Tortilla is very disappointing. I was hopeful, given that making a very good burrito isn't exactly rocket science (e.g., Andale, Chipotle) and there are plenty of locals who make truly outstanding ones.
Please don't mention Andale and Chipotle in the same sentence
Old May 11, 2014, 10:11 am

Finally got the chance to stop by here. Much smaller than I expected but looks nice and a little unfinished (of course). Are there some general use gates in E? I noticed the displays (esp Gate 60 and 61) were not UA branded (although they did have the GDIS information somewhere else).
Old May 12, 2014, 10:05 am

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by edcho
Finally got the chance to stop by here. Much smaller than I expected but looks nice and a little unfinished (of course). Are there some general use gates in E? I noticed the displays (esp Gate 60 and 61) were not UA branded (although they did have the GDIS information somewhere else).
Layperson guess: As new/refurbished gate areas come online at SFO, they'll all being wired to the general-use ARINC GDIS system like the one at the Int'l. gates. Even if the gates are airline-specific in practice, the screens might default to a generic "screen saver" when not in use.
Old May 12, 2014, 11:36 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus dirt (former hard-way Silver); AS Mileage Plan MVP; Hilton Honors Silver
Originally Posted by GoAmtrak
Layperson guess: As new/refurbished gate areas come online at SFO, they'll all being wired to the general-use ARINC GDIS system like the one at the Int'l. gates. Even if the gates are airline-specific in practice, the screens might default to a generic "screen saver" when not in use.
...which makes perfect sense, as we know that some of the E gates were originally earmarked for AC and US (and, indeed, US was using one of the gates - 60 or 61, I think - when I strolled through there in March) to consolidate all of *A into one interconnected complex. It's possible the overhead monitors may allow the GA to flip between UA's system and the ARINC GIDS system (input 1 vs. input 2).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.