Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"You Deserve Instant Elite Status" eMails from American Airlines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"You Deserve Instant Elite Status" eMails from American Airlines

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2013, 11:37 am
Original Member

If I were in charge at AA/US, I'd pull the records of anyone who has flown US with a UA elite MP number in the last year, and send all of them an email like this. They know those folks are elite, and know that they chose to fly US at least once -- so that's probably a pretty good pool to go fishing in.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 11:40 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by roberton
If I were in charge at AA/US, I'd pull the records of anyone who has flown US with a UA elite MP number in the last year, and send all of them an email like this. They know those folks are elite, and know that they chose to fly US at least once -- so that's probably a pretty good pool to go fishing in.
That's something that only US can do at the moment, not AA - and this e-mail came from AA.

Until the merger is approved there are many restrictions like this on the sharing of data between the companies.

It's fascinating how people applaud actions like this but abhor any attempt by UA to extend "their" elite benefits to those that don't "deserve" them as much as they do. Given that AA has close to zero insights on the flying patterns of a predominantly UA passenger, there is nothing to indicate that these offers have anything to do with trying to poach elites from UA. Rather, it's more likely that they flew AA in the past and this is a way of encouraging them to fly more. If UA tried that there would be uproar here.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by AZjohns
I give AA a big ^ again.
I appreciate businesses trying to recruit customers like this. I was happy to get matched Exp last year when things as a 1K were coming to a crashing bottom for me. It has been a breath of fresh air and AA has earned a lot of my flying now for opening the door last year. I applaud them for their continued work inviting others over.
Agreed, same exact thoughts here. AA is like Avis right now - they just try harder
Old Apr 29, 2013, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
There is an offer for instant EXP as well. You will only receive the evips if you fly the required 30K by the end of August. I have the terms and conditions of all these three offers available here.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 11:55 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
I don't think AA knows you are UA elite at all. I don't think UA anything here has anything to do with why you got the offer. It's based on your past habits with AA.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 11:58 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus dirt (former hard-way Silver); AS Mileage Plan MVP; Hilton Honors Silver
Originally Posted by star_world
That's something that only US can do at the moment, not AA - and this e-mail came from AA.

Until the merger is approved there are many restrictions like this on the sharing of data between the companies.

It's fascinating how people applaud actions like this but abhor any attempt by UA to extend "their" elite benefits to those that don't "deserve" them as much as they do. Given that AA has close to zero insights on the flying patterns of a predominantly UA passenger, there is nothing to indicate that these offers have anything to do with trying to poach elites from UA. Rather, it's more likely that they flew AA in the past and this is a way of encouraging them to fly more. If UA tried that there would be uproar here.
Is it possible that US went data mining, pulling up PNRs from Jan-Apr that contained references to UA elites, then sold that data to AA (either directly or via an intermediary) for a paltry sum? They can't SHARE data, but there's no restriction on buying mailing lists data, is there?
Old Apr 29, 2013, 12:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: US CP ; LH FTL ; *G
Originally Posted by roberton
As long as US is in *A, it would be precluded from doing so. Also, as noted above, any information exchange and / or coordination of activities are significantly limited before the merger is approved.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 12:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by sbm12
The merger may not be approved yet but that won't stop the airlines from aggressively looking to shore up their elite member ranks going in to the integration process.
My comment was re the data exchange issue.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 12:16 pm

Programs: AA, Aeroplan, CX Gold, MR PLat
Anyone successful forcing an offer?

My daughter and I were AA Platinums 4 years ago after a challenge - we now have no status or upgrades left in our account. We are flying on many AA flights with a RTW ticket next year and AA Platinum would be great again.

If nothing....we can use our Saphire status with CX I guess.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 12:42 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
always a bridesmaid and never a bride......no offer for me!
Old Apr 29, 2013, 12:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by boss315
always a bridesmaid and never a bride......no offer for me!
Me neither. I travelled US in Envoy class in February and I have another booked in a couple of weeks, so in my case, this isn't data-mining the US database.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mdobbins
Me neither. I travelled US in Envoy class in February and I have another booked in a couple of weeks, so in my case, this isn't data-mining the US database.
That would be illegal at this point anyway.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 2:49 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
1K here and never had elite status of any kind with AA. I received a comp to AA Platinum with the 12,000 mile/point challenge.
I think you'd do better with an EXP status match while they're out there.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 2:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by Critic
Is it possible that US went data mining, pulling up PNRs from Jan-Apr that contained references to UA elites, then sold that data to AA (either directly or via an intermediary) for a paltry sum? They can't SHARE data, but there's no restriction on buying mailing lists data, is there?
If this was something that US did at the behest of AA they could get in trouble. And if it is something they have never done before, and proposed it to AA, they also could potentially get in trouble.

Much more likely it's targetted based on past experience with AA, AA's belief you may be "poachable" and other criteria.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 3:07 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
I have a vauge recollection of completing some online survey in which I might have disclosed my UA elite status, but I can't recall for certain. My last AA flight was last fall and before that, it has to have been over 10 years ago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.