FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Standard Award Question (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1462589-standard-award-question.html)

chrisinacton Apr 28, 2013 11:47 pm

Standard Award Question

Hello,

I have a one-way flight booked using a standard award ticket from SDF-ORD-SFO on May 5th.

I noticed that there are saver first class seats available on the ORD-SFO segment, but the agent won't change the flight since the entire trip is a standard economy ticket.

Are there any ways around this? Since I'm paying the full amount of 25,000 miles, I would prefer to be in first class on the ORD-SFO segment.

Thanks!

WineCountryUA Apr 28, 2013 11:54 pm

From United air travel award rules

Different award types (Saver and Standard) and cabins may be combined to create a single roundtrip award. ....
But do not believe different award types can be combined in an OW.

If you have the right credit card, you might get CPU.

AZjohns Apr 28, 2013 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by chrisinacton (Post 20668009)
Hello,

I have a one-way flight booked using a standard award ticket from SDF-ORD-SFO on May 5th.

I noticed that there are saver first class seats available on the ORD-SFO segment, but the agent won't change the flight since the entire trip is a standard economy ticket.

Are there any ways around this? Since I'm paying the full amount of 25,000 miles, I would prefer to be in first class on the ORD-SFO segment.

Thanks!

I'm pretty sure there has to be saver award space on all legs to get it (OW). Now, you can have saver economy on one leg and saver First/business on another (will charge you saver First/business rate) but both need to be saver.

garykung Apr 28, 2013 11:57 pm

I don't think you can mix standard and saver award.

Did you check SDF-ORD have saver first?

Ericka Apr 29, 2013 5:51 am

Originally Posted by AZjohns (Post 20668033)
I'm pretty sure there has to be saver award space on all legs to get it (OW). Now, you can have saver economy on one leg and saver First/business on another (will charge you saver First/business rate) but both need to be saver.

You can do it this way. I recently had success changing my standard award to saver by downgrading one of the legs from F to Y. That was at about 48 hours out. Then, at 24 hours out, I was able to switch the Y back to F.

Just keep checking. A lot opens up in those few days before the flight.

chrisinacton Apr 29, 2013 9:29 am

Thanks for the responses. There are no saver seats to ORD because of the Kentucky Derby that week-end.

What if I change the trip to a round trip ticket, and then change it back to a one way after? Perhaps that will work.

star_world Apr 29, 2013 9:49 am

Originally Posted by chrisinacton (Post 20669728)
Thanks for the responses. There are no saver seats to ORD because of the Kentucky Derby that week-end.

What if I change the trip to a round trip ticket, and then change it back to a one way after? Perhaps that will work.

The same rules apply on an RT ticket for each "half" of the RT though - you can't mix standard / saver on the outbound, or the inbound. You can have all saver on the outbound and all standard on the inbound, or vice versa. So your suggestion wouldn't work.