Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Legacy UAL Crew Stopped a Defection to Delta

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Legacy UAL Crew Stopped a Defection to Delta

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2013, 5:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, UA MM, Starwood Platinum
Interesting Discussion

Interesting discussion, I'm glad posters are actually citing their experiences and providing details. As for some of the questions to my original post as to why I fly UAL, well here they are: 1) I'm basically a captive to United and Lufthansa due to corporate contracts and they actually do fly where I have to go (formerly Pac Rim and Australasia, now Persian Gulf and North Africa). 2) Delta is the next best option for me due corporate contracts 3) For all the rah rah rah about Qatar and Etihad...yes, you get what you pay for in service and thats part of the problem, as its impossible to explain the cost premium to the bean counters. 4) Safety is also a consideration vs ET and QR. I personnally would rather have the 20000 hour veteran Captain up front than a low time ab initio neophyte local. (Yeah, I know there are exceptions, including a lot of Brit expats flying in the ME, but the trend is going the other way due to cost).

Oh and BTW, I'm pretty much in complete agreement with MitchMU and his viewpoint in this thread.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 6:19 am
Suspended

Programs: US CP ; LH FTL ; *G
Originally Posted by AntonS
Even if there are some great s-ua or s-co crews, it still 100% insane, out of your mind, etc to pay UA or any us based carried when you can fly QR, TK, etc in premium cabins. No matter how nice UA crew is, there is just no class in UA service - it does not feel premium.

And the food sucks big time too. On all my UA flights this year the food was just horrible. On the other hand, I quite enjoyed TK economy meals on a few short European flights last month and will absolutely prefer them over UA business food. I never through I would ever compare C meal on a 9 hour flight with Y meal on a 3 hour flight and prefer Y....
Please. TK service is horrible; I've had better service on *gasp* UA ( this is business class ; never flown TK in coach ). But TK's food is indeed absolutely great.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 7:49 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by burlax
Please. TK service is horrible; I've had better service on *gasp* UA ( this is business class ; never flown TK in coach ). But TK's food is indeed absolutely great.
+1. I've never flown TK's long haul 77W & in all fairness I've heard it's very nice but I have flown TK numerous times between DXB - IST & every flight was worse then the last. The catering sucked, the older seats were a joke & the crew was very surly. There are other choices between DXB-IST (EK & SQ) but the timings never worked for me so I was stuck w TK. That was up to a year ago - now I take an EK flight even if the timing is horrible. (I'm not sure if SQ still flys this route. When they did it was only 2-3 times a week
Old Apr 29, 2013, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
+1. I've never flown TK's long haul 77W & in all fairness I've heard it's very nice but I have flown TK numerous times between DXB - IST & every flight was worse then the last. The catering sucked, the older seats were a joke & the crew was very surly. There are other choices between DXB-IST (EK & SQ) but the timings never worked for me so I was stuck w TK. That was up to a year ago - now I take an EK flight even if the timing is horrible. (I'm not sure if SQ still flys this route. When they did it was only 2-3 times a week
Surprised to hear this - TK has been winning awards lately, I thought they were on the upswing ...
Old Apr 29, 2013, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mitchmu
Surprised to hear this - TK has been winning awards lately, I thought they were on the upswing ...
Their (new) 777s are fantastic...the older A340s (angled lie flat) not so much

Food is amazing, though I thought liquor selection was a bit weak. And crew can be hit or miss (where have I heard that before...)
Old Apr 29, 2013, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by mitchmu
At least Kobe thinks so.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 10:26 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
There are bad apples on both crews. There are just more apples that don't care about service on the sCO side based on my experience. YMMV.

Case in point: On a recent flight, the assisting FA was addressing passengers as "Beef or Chicken?". No name, no greetings, and lukewarm nuts were served with the meal. She also tapped on my armrest and used "tray" command so she can place the meal tray with the nuts. She eventually warmed up later in the flight, but I doubt the level of service and attitude was meeting expectation.*

*Unless, of course, you set your bar way low.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by PTahCha
There are bad apples on both crews. There are just more apples that don't care about service on the sCO side based on my experience. YMMV.

Case in point: On a recent flight, the assisting FA was addressing passengers as "Beef or Chicken?". No name, no greetings, and lukewarm nuts were served with the meal. She also tapped on my armrest and used "tray" command so she can place the meal tray with the nuts. She eventually warmed up later in the flight, but I doubt the level of service and attitude was meeting expectation.*

*Unless, of course, you set your bar way low.
Which cabin were you in? This kind of behavior is typical of all airlines in my experience when in Y. Not unusual in J. The "beef or chicken" scream down the aisle is not a new behavior.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 11:14 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3MM, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
It's amazing how different people's experiences can be. I have had nothing but great experiences with the UA crews out of EWR since the merger. I was quite happy to be able to fly non-stop from the NY area to places other than IAD, ORD, SFO, LAX and DEN, despite having to drive about 45 minutes further to get to EWR (I live on Long Island).

I cannot think of one domestic or international crew onboard or gate agent or ground staff at EWR that has provided anything other than good and in many instances great service.

It really is true that YMMV
Old Apr 29, 2013, 11:41 am

Exactly ... looks like the OP was looking to justify staying with UA and tends to exaggerate even the smallest positive things as the second coming of Christ

Originally Posted by ddrost1
surprised that a singular good experience is enough to wash away so many bad ones. if you are that easily convinced i do have some oceanfront property in AZ on the market.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 11:41 am

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Amazing how personally ex-CO flyers take it when people say service on sCO is subpar. Is it because it's true?
Nah - I think it is because absolute statements tend to be perceived as hyperbole

But I've seen sUA crews provide good service and never seen sCO do that. I wonder why.
See what I mean

I come from the PMCO side and I generally prefer the PMCO crews. I have had good and bad experiences with both groups though that is for sure but it is relatively easy to determine a crew's linage based on the different airplane types each airline brought to the merger.

My biggest PMUA pet peeve used to be not being offered a cocktail in domestic F before takeoff but with that little issue taken care of ^ I am willing to roll the dice either way...

SunLover
Old Apr 29, 2013, 11:52 am

Typical Merger sorts of issues

I had hoped for the UA/CO merger for a while, FF focused on both onepass and MP, lots of time on both.
UA and CO had very different service cultures and as part of the integration those will take time to shake out. I've had great and totally miserable experiences with both, as most here probably have had as well.
The crazy variation in service on both xUA and xCO is an industry problem and not just a merger or UA/CO problem.
Its partially why I'm obsessive about sending feedback and filling in surveys with really specific feedback on anything good or bad.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 1:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA 1MM
I'm flying out on an ex-United and back on a ex-Cont plane to/from California this week, so I'll pay extra attention.

Don't usually get to ride up front since most of my flights are on 50 seaters, for me the worst ride in United Domestic First (any crew) is way better than my best flight on an E-145. In about 5 or so rides on Ex-Cont. Domestic First 737s since the merger, the one thing that distinguishes them from the Ex-United equipment for me is the seat - the Cont. seat just feels "short" like there isn't enough support for my thighs, would be interested to know if the continental seat bottom really is shorter or it is just an illusion.

Good/Bad/Indifferent crew - no detectable pattern for me, very good and very bad are out there but then again, I have only been through EWR maybe twice in the last three years.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 2:17 pm

Programs: United 1k ; SW A+ Preferred; Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
It's just not worth it...
Like so many UA 1K's, he reminds me of the old Woody Allen joke: "“Two elderly women are at a Catskill mountain resort, and one of 'em says, "Boy, the food at this place is really terrible." The other one says, "Yeah, I know; and such small portions."
Old Apr 29, 2013, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Not again. "All UA crews good, all CO crews bad. Me no fly CO routes." I've had fine CO crews, and some bad UA crews. There's both at each. As for routes, you'll find UA crews on some ex-CO routes and vice-versa.
+1 When will we ever stop hearing from those who want to bring this up. Mine is better than yours... it is starting to be quite a bit tired.

Let us live in the present, there is only one airline -- viz. UA.

Well, then again, there are others too - at least eleven in the US alone: AA, AS, B6, DL, F9, GA, HA, NK, SY, VX, WN.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.